Playing with/against Vols

Played with Vol reserve OL John Keller (UT: '68 - '72) at Tennessee High. Went against him in practice as a DT.

Reactions: 1 person
I played High school basketball against Justin Harrell. I was a senior he was a sophomore playing the post. He was huge down there so strong and he wouldn't bulge any. most people dont realize that he was good enough to play basketball in college also, not at SEC level but smaller D-1 schools like OVC or so. He was just a good all around athlete, its a shame injuries derailed his NFL career, I really thought he would of been a good D-lineman.

I met Bob Crane while waiting for a plane at LAX in summer of '73. But, I couldn't recall his name. I said, "You're...", he said, "Bob Crane" and turned to board his flight. Of course, he was murdered a few months later so I never heard from him again. Two ships and all.

me and a buddy had a couple of girls in line to get in to The Library on the strip one night...seeing some band....and behind us in line was Shane Burton and Bill Duff.

we didn't make it in the door with the two girls.....:eek:lol:

Totally forgot that I was on a city league basketball team with Hank Walter former Vol LB famous for a pick 6 vs Auburn in the pouring rain in 1973. Hank was All KIL in basketball as well as football. He was a beast under the boards and had a decent jumper. Struggled as an adult though.

Played soccer against Britton Colquitt a couple of times in competitive leagues. Once we both went for the ball and missed, colliding shins. Even with shin guards, I could barely stand long enough to get to the sideline, and was off my feet for about 24 hours before I felt like I could support my weight again.

Played against Vol Alum Gerald Williams. We played our spring football game against Boyd Anderson High and he was an all county linebacker back in 04. Laid me out early in the 2nd quarter on a slant route. He was a man among boys and terrifying to see at about 6'2 6'3 at linebacker. Held onto the football but i can still remember the shot and him standing over the top of me lol.

Side note ... I was on the JV but my team played against Brent Schaeffer during his senior year when he took his team to the state championship. Dude was the best qb in the state at the time and played like Mike Vick that season, they took their foot off the gas by the 3rd when they were up about 40 points.

Last edited:
I got in a fight with an All SEC offensive guard who went on to play in the NFL for nearly a decade.

I am 5'8" and probably weighed about 140 pounds at the time. I did not win the fight.

I played a lot of pickup basketball in Stokley when I was in school. Ronnie Pillow is the main one I remember playing against because one time I did a head fake at the three point line and he jumped probably all the way out of bounds and then I actually hit the shot. The other guys laughed him out of the gym because I was not really great usually. haha

Al Wilson was in there once or twice and so was Bubba Miller, and a few other guys. Typically just backups.

Played pick up ball with about all of the players during the Pearl days. Me and Steven were same age and played a little AAU against each other. Played basketball against Brandon Warren. Brandon would have been a major d1 basketball player if he were three inches taller. Lee Smith in basketball even though he was kicked off. My brother played against Harrison Smith in basketball, he bike a goal at our high school. He also played against Randall Cobb in football. My dad used to play pick up ball with Allen Houston all the time back in the day.

O and me and Gerald Jones were going after the same girl for awhile. I can honestly say I won that and preceded to gloat about that for awhile.

Andy Kelly, Mate Middlebrooks, Mark Adams, Jeremy Lincoln, Alvin Harper, Dale Carter, Mark Ingram, JJ McClesky, Sterling Henton, Bernard Gafney,Carl Pickens and many more football players we played pick up and intramurals against. Once we won intramural title 2 years in a row we played a lot of pick up with basketball team. Pickens was the real deal, best athlete on campus. Alan Houston's range and smooth jumper was something to behold.

I played against Doug Roth once. I was 5'10" and 150 pounds. I climbed him like a tree the entire game and he never knew I was there.

A few years ago, it was our night to provide food for the youth night at the church. When my wife saw Chad Clifton walk in, she at once sent me to go and get some more hamburgers.

Played against Spencer Riley and Will Newman from Jefferson county in 1993. I was center for Science Hill. Go Hilltoppers!!!

GBO!!!

I am an athletic trainer and cover a high school who played against Brandon Warren and Dustin Lindsey in a sub state basketball game. We were down 12-0 before we actually got the ball in bounds to one of us. Our coach looked at me and asked what we should do. I told him to sit down and take it like a man.

I also got my shot blocked by Michelle Snow in a pick up game.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back