Playing time: Nkauhoma, Powell, and BHH

mtvols

Did they play in the second half?

I don’t understand Barnes rotation. We played the same five players most of the second half with one of our best three point shooters sitting on the bench and got whipped on the boards with two post players on the bench.

Well, when you can’t score, it typically behooves a team to play good defense. Barnes played our best defensive lineup and it likely kept us in the game.
What’s inexcusable is the amount of threes we threw up, when we very clearly couldn’t buy one. Barnes has got to call a TO and adjust the O game plan at some point.

What’s inexcusable is the amount of threes we threw up, when we very clearly couldn’t buy one. Barnes has got to call a TO and adjust the O game plan at some point.
They were all good looks. Did you see what happened when we went inside? Gotta try to draw them out if you want to open up the paint. Just wasn’t our night.

I wished he would've gave Powell another shot at getting hot. Maybe he hits a couple and we win
I do wish Powell would have gotten a little run in the 2H, but I totally understand why the lineup was the way it was. Hard to fault anyone when you have, by far, the worst shooting night you will have all year (and probably all decade).

I was thinking about Powell-- if we are going to constantly shoot threes, why not him? This was a weird game. Couldn't get a rebound, and couldn't hit a shot.

Reactions: GBOx2
They were all good looks. Did you see what happened when we went inside? Gotta try to draw them out if you want to open up the paint. Just wasn’t our night.
They were good looks, that’s what’s mind blowing about it. After missing 15 open 3s in a row, would you still tell them to keep firing them up or try something else. I get maybe we don’t have the players to score well inside, but we would’ve had to have been more productive if we started attacking the rim. At least we’d get fouled some. Hindsight is 20/20, but I was hoping to start attacking the rim with about 10 minutes left in the half.

They were good looks, that’s what’s mind blowing about it. After missing 15 open 3s in a row, would you still tell them to keep firing them up or try something else. I get maybe we don’t have the players to score well inside, but we would’ve had to have been more productive if we started attacking the rim. At least we’d get fouled some. Hindsight is 20/20, but I was hoping to start attacking the rim with about 10 minutes left in the half.
They also were letting them play very physically inside (this benefitted us defensively, quite a bit) and they were much longer than us. This isn’t 8th grade where you tell your team to turn down wide open looks from 3 because they aren’t falling. These guys are all capable shooters who had a very very bad night. If you get open looks, you take them. Simple as that.

Lot of things don't make sense.

If you're going 2-20 on the 3's you know the small lineup isn't working. Would there be problems going with Fulky, BHH, and ON playing at the same time, especially against taller opponents like tonight?

We also missed at least 6 layup/rim bunny shots and I don't know what JJJ was doing on that steal where he collapsed. I had the sound muted those guys were getting unbearable. I guess globetrotting for a week just caught up with this team.

We also missed at least 6 layup/rim bunny shots and I don't know what JJJ was doing on that steal where he collapsed. I had the sound muted those guys were getting unbearable. I guess globetrotting for a week just caught up with this team.
From our shooting to free throws to missing layups....it all points to a fatigued team.

Maybe ask Aidoo. It's up to him, not someone else. Same with BHH.

Step up gentlemen. Opportunity is knocking!
Now is the time to up their minutes and get them acclimated. If not beginning this Saturday, I don’t know if it’s going to happen. ON is not the guy.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Now is the time to up their minutes and get them acclimated. If not beginning this Saturday, I don’t know if it’s going to happen. ON is not the guy.

I agree, if they are performing in practice. If not, they don't deserve game opportunities. They appear very talented. The question is whether they will use their talents within the system. I really hope they step up.

Did they play in the second half?

I don’t understand Barnes rotation. We played the same five players most of the second half with one of our best three point shooters sitting on the bench and got whipped on the boards with two post players on the bench.
Yep didn’t understand the rotation at all. Powell most definitely merited more than 8 minutes. BHH only got 4.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
Yep didn’t understand the rotation at all. Powell most definitely merited more than 8 minutes. BHH only got 4.
Powell was 5-5 2 games ago, but hasn't been on since.......... Is it because he needs to have an open look and hasn't been open against the better opponents these last 2 games?
Not arguing..... just asking.

Powell was 5-5 2 games ago, but hasn't been on since.......... Is it because he needs to have an open look and hasn't been open against the better opponents these last 2 games?
Not arguing..... just asking.
Perhaps, only Barnes knows why Powell only played 8 minutes against TTU. I think he took good shots in both games. James being back in the rotation will affect both Powell’s minutes on wing and also BHH’s minutes when we play small ball and James plays the 4.

Personally I would give Powell all of Bailey’s minutes. We have 120 minutes per game among the 2 guard positions and one wing. Chandler & Vescovi will get about 60 of them per game. If Ziegler gets 20, James gets 20 (not counting the time he accounts at the 4), in my opinion Powell could get the other 20. Bailey looks the part but I don’t trust his game at this point. He is a senior, yet is playing as poorly as anytime in his career. Powell has upside.

VN Store

Back