Players left from Butch Jones era

JG, Trey Smith.

I know that CBJ was not the answer to our head coaching search but getting Trey was a huge accomplishment. He is from my home town and I know first hand that several BIG named coaches came in to see him multiple times. Saban, Meyers, and Shoop just to name a few.

Trey is a great kid, ( i say that in terms of relativity - not his size, just his age ) We should all be proud that he is a Vol! I hope he kills it this year and goes in the first round of the NFL draft.

JG, Trey Smith.

I know that CBJ was not the answer to our head coaching search but getting Trey was a huge accomplishment. He is from my home town and I know first hand that several BIG named coaches came in to see him multiple times. Saban, Meyers, and Shoop just to name a few.

Trey is a great kid, ( i say that in terms of relativity - not his size, just his age ) We should all be proud that he is a Vol! I hope he kills it this year and goes in the first round of the NFL draft.

SHOOP!!! ROFL!!!!

Redshirt Seniors- (6)
JaQuain Blakely, Baylen Buchanan, Carlin Fils-aime, Jarrett Guarantano, Brandon Johnson, Austin Pope

Seniors- (10)
LaTrell Bumphus, Matthew Butler, Ty Chandler, Brent Cimaglia, Theo Jackson, Deandre Johnson, Riley Locklear, Josh Palmer, Shawn Shamburger, Trey Smith

Redshirt Juniors- (5)
Kivon Bennett, K’Rojhn Calbert, Princeton Fant, Cheyenne Labruzza, Solon Page

Junior (1) Paxton Brooks and Redshirt Sophomores (3) Greg Emerson, Ollie Lane, and Jacob Warren committed to Butch, and stayed committed to Vols and were signed by Pruitt.

Last edited:
Recruiting was never the issue for Butch- well until the last year when Dabo took him to the woodshed.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
JG, Trey Smith.

Stay safe, Trey!

Shoop was hired to beat Florida and he did. Not many other Tennessee coaches can say that.

Shoop was a good DC who had his hands tied down by an ignorant HC.

He was great everywhere else except here so it shouldn’t be no secret that Jones was the main problem.

Redshirt Seniors- (6)
JaQuain Blakely, Baylen Buchanan, Carlin Fils-aime, Jarrett Guarantano, Brandon Johnson, Austin Pope

Seniors- (10)
LaTrell Bumphus, Matthew Butler, Ty Chandler, Brent Cimaglia, Theo Jackson, Deandre Johnson, Riley Locklear, Josh Palmer, Shawn Shamburger, Trey Smith

Redshirt Juniors- (5)

Junior (1) Paxton Brooks and Redshirt Sophomores (3) Greg Emerson, Ollie Lane, and Jacob Warren committed to Butch, and stayed committed to Vols and were signed by Pruitt.

So still 22 players, and we'll still have some left in the 2021 season. So not really Pruitt's full roster until 2022 season.

JG, Trey Smith.

Getting studs to sign an LOI was not on the list of failures that cost Butch his job.

Redshirt Seniors- (6)

Seniors- (10)

Redshirt Juniors- (5)

Good work.

What this tells me is that Butch's recruits are still at the core of our success in 2020. Lot of solid SEC players here. Some who get pro looks.

NFL draft possibilities WITH a strong 20'(or21') ...
Blakely, Guarantano, Pope, Bumphus, Butler, Chandler, Cimaglia, Jackson, Palmer, Shamburger, Smith, Bennett

Disclaimer: Guy w a day job's eye test

Shoop was a good DC who had his hands tied down by an ignorant HC.

He was great everywhere else except here so it shouldn’t be no secret that Jones was the main problem.

Agree completely-I rem the massive amount of coaches and well touted players that just came in and absolutely flopped.I used to tell a friend of mine all the time, how does a player or coach come to Tn and just literally look like they forgot everytbing for the last ten years🤷🏻‍♂️...there had to be sumthin more to that and as well all saw there was much much more.Shoop seems to be doin just fine at Mississippi st as he did at Penn st.

Redshirt Seniors- (6)

Seniors- (10)

Redshirt Juniors- (5)

Yeah. Better than 'uh, all the seniors'. thanks

Reactions: VolsSince78
So still 22 players, and we'll still have some left in the 2021 season. So not really Pruitt's full roster until 2022 season.

Technically true but likely 80/85 (and maybe more if any of the 5 Redshirt Juniors get processed) will have been signed by Pruitt for 2021. (This all assumes that COVID doesn't wreck havoc with the scholly numbers/2020 season).

Absolutely. Hard to run a defense when the infallible offense went three-and-out constantly.
Did you watch the same 2016 season? He found a way to take Jancek’s so-so defensive squad and make every SEC back on our schedule a record holder. 😖

VN Store

Back