Players in the portal and sitting out of bowl games?

Give_Him_6!

WE Back Pat!
My question is with so many players entering the portal and declaring for the NFL, how long will it be before a bowl eligible team has to cancel its invitation due to lack of players? What do you thank the NCAA should do to prevent this from happening?

Last edited:
My question is with so many players entering the portal and declaring for the NFL, how long will it be before a bowl eligible team has to cancel its invitation due to lack of players? Would do you thank the NCAA should do to prevent this from happening?

I would think that most coaches take the approach that it gives them time to practice and develop the players they're counting on for next season. Since Hyatt's not playing, I'm assuming we'll get a big dose of Squirrel White, which is a good thing IMO. If Hyatt and others are not going to be with us next season, practice and prep the guys we're going to be counting on next season. It's almost as if the bowl game is actually the opening game of next season.......

Last edited:
My question is with so many players entering the portal and declaring for the NFL, how long will it be before a bowl eligible team has to cancel its invitation due to lack of players? Would do you thank the NCAA should do to prevent this from happening?
“Would do you thank the…..” You can do better. I almost hurt myself trying to resolve that in real time.

Eh, at some point a team will use it as an excuse, but this impacts everyone and for every player sitting, transferring, or going pro, there is someone on the team at the position that wants to be there. I found a thread on here calling the bowl games meaningless because of opt-outs, but really, come on, that has been happening for years now. That's just sensitive people getting sad about the chance of winning going down. Bowl games matter to programs, coaches, and players that will be out there next year.

Reactions: OffTackleVol
I can see this going two ways. 1) Playoff expansion leads to the end of bowl games. I think it’s highly probable that we see even further expansion from 12 to 24 teams. Essentially putting more importance on a top 25 CFP ranking. 2) Bowl sponsors take a significant step into NIL to insure the best athletes stick around for post season bowl games. Capital One, Visa, Mastercard etc pay big money for advertising rights. Advertisers can insure viewership remains high through temporary NIL deals with the game’s best athletes. Sponsors have to keep the best athletes interested and engaged.

Reactions: guido4198
stop the meaningless bowl games and expand the playoffs.

Awesome. That way we can have a bunch of meaningless playoff games. Four teams currently, and at least one player has opted out. Playoffs haven’t solved a damn thing. In fact, they’ve hurt the game.

Reactions: PA Vol
Bowl Games used to be good for a couple of things.
1 Saving a Border Line Coaches Job
2 Giving a "little" extra practice
You could add giving the Alumni an excuse to go party a little more, but that has run its course.
A 6 win team in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl is a waste of time and money.

stop the meaningless bowl games and expand the playoffs.

We are already seeing athletes on playoff teams opt out and it will only increase with expansion. By the end of the season; everyone is bruised and banged up… nobody is functioning at 100% which in itself leads to a higher likelihood of injury. Injury concerns are the primary driver at the moment. Unfortunately, there isn’t much that can be done about injuries in the game of football. I really think temporary NIL sponsorships are the only solution to keeping the best athletes engaged. There has to be an incentive for the athletes to give a damn about these bowl games.

We are already seeing athletes on playoff teams opt out and it will only increase with expansion. By the end of the season; everyone is bruised and banged up… nobody is functioning at 100% which in itself leads to a higher likelihood of injury. Injury concerns are the primary driver at the moment. Unfortunately, there isn’t much that can be done about injuries in the game of football. I really think temporary NIL sponsorships are the only solution to keeping the best athletes engaged. There has to be an incentive for the athletes to give a damn about these bowl games.

When fans stop watching or going, and general disinterest sets in, the conferences/NCAA/universities are going to start to get punitive/pass rules against it.

Half of me wants universities to revoke scholarships for players that sit out and make them pay out of pocket and be denied the use of facilities and trainers until they do. The other half of me realizes that they shouldn't be punished for sitting out of the Birmingham bowl when they're projected to be drafted in the first three rounds. But you can't punish the kids sitting out the playoff and NY6 bowls and not the others.

I don't think there's a solution unless you incentivize it with money or the NFL slides in and says they're against it (they wont).

Reactions: coach799
Here is my take on "optouts"....

If a guy has been willing to take NIL moneys does he not feel any obligation to play a final game for the fans who have supported him. OR as I suspect, the word is not part of the education at home, or for that matter anywhere for the current generation.

Reactions: vols40 and PA Vol
Not enough opt outs should numerically be possible. Like 90 players taken in top 3 rounds are not enough to gut the top 60 teams rosters I wouldn't think. It's mainly cosmetic bc it's the best players.

Reactions: PA Vol
When fans stop watching or going, and general disinterest sets in, the conferences/NCAA/universities are going to start to get punitive/pass rules against it.

Half of me wants universities to revoke scholarships for players that sit out and make them pay out of pocket and be denied the use of facilities and trainers until they do. The other half of me realizes that they shouldn't be punished for sitting out of the Birmingham bowl when they're projected to be drafted in the first three rounds. But you can't punish the kids sitting out the playoff and NY6 bowls and not the others.

I don't think there's a solution unless you incentivize it with money or the NFL slides in and says they're against it (they wont).

It’s a perception problem. Right now, potential draft picks see there is nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing in the post season. Honestly, they are not wrong. If the infrastructure isn’t developed to keep a team engaged and excited about post season opportunities; the games just need to be scrapped.

Bowl Games used to be good for a couple of things.
1 Saving a Border Line Coaches Job
2 Giving a "little" extra practice
You could add giving the Alumni an excuse to go party a little more, but that has run its course.
A 6 win team in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl is a waste of time and money.
ESPN begs to differ about the waste of time and money because they own/manage many of these bowls as cash cows for ad revenue.

Given that college football has sold its soul for TV revenue, ESPN and Fox will be telling you what is good for college football now.

Reactions: Raebo
there will always been some opt out. cant stop all of it and i cant blame them if they have a chance to be an early round pick. if we were playing in a 12 team playoff right now i bet hyatt would be playing. maybe not though lol

Awesome. That way we can have a bunch of meaningless playoff games. Four teams currently, and at least one player has opted out. Playoffs haven’t solved a damn thing. In fact, they’ve hurt the game.

Yes, a player that has barely played this year and still isn't fully healed. You're about the 5th person complaining about this and using it as "proof" that playoff games are "meaningless", and not one of you have mentioned the context of him sitting out. But I know facts and context would be too much to ask you to consider and ruins the fun of eveyrone pissing and moaning.

And no, playoffs haven't hurt a damn thing. If anything "hurt" the game, it's over the past 30 years granting a 12th game so that instead of 5-6 a bunch of teams can schedule a cupcake and get to 6-6 and then have a bowl game created so that EVERY 6-6 team makes a bowl. We've had 25+ "meaningless" bowl games forever now. In what reality does anyone give a damn about the Mayo Bowl? The CarQuest Bowl? The Weedwacker Bowl?

Name one besides the one OSU player who was hurt all season and still wouldn't be able to play much in the bowl game.

Money! Winning bowl game team gets 10k per player. MVP gets a 5k bonus. Loosing team gets 8k per player. Something like this would be an incentive to play plus potentially make performance bonuses.

VN Store

Back