PLAYER RANKINGS (do they matter?). Let the debate!

Do you favor consolidating player rating talk into one place? And out of the player threads?

• Yes

Votes: 110 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 50 31.3%

• Total voters
What the heck are you talking about? The graphic above shows both with 20 commits each? The services have far more granularity than just stars and they MUST have a bunch of lower tier 4's. They are behind LSU who must have more top end 4's to have more points with four fewer 4 stars and 3 more three stars in their also 20 commits and still be 13 points ahead of FL. They might have a bunch of those 4 star misses high that get passed by 2 and 3 stars in the draft every year. Per Rivals (cause I can get to the state data for free) they have so far whiffed on top 10 players in FL... with their top 3 being 14,16 and 20. They have a smattering of 4 stars through the 40's, 50's, 60's, all the way to 73. We can each interpret the data I guess.
If you can comprehend a picture of the recruiting rankings at the time I posted it why should anyone waste their time educating you? They have less committed players than us and yet they are ahead. They have more 4 stars committed than we do. They has far less 3 stars committed than we do. Idk how much simpler I can make that for you.

If you can comprehend a picture of the recruiting rankings at the time I posted it why should anyone waste their time educating you? They have less committed players than us and yet they are ahead. They have more 4 stars committed than we do. They has far less 3 stars committed than we do. Idk how much simpler I can make that for you.

As of 3pm yesterday we have 21 commits and they have 20 according to every service I can find. They are doing a good job of getting in state 4 stars committed. Are they getting flash or substance? Over the last 3 drafts GA has had nearly as many drafted (71 vs 77) with less than half of the population. There is a risk/reward calculation in there somewhere with their 17 of 20 being FL kids, many way down the rankings list, even as 4 stars. Are they passing on all the higher rated guys by position or are they passing on UF? Have they been cherry picking or have they been star shopping for show? We have been down that road before, especially in coaches first years. Time will tell, until then I am not going to cower in Florida Star fear. I do find it odd that Coach has not been shopping down there MORE with his UCF history.

As of 3pm yesterday we have 21 commits and they have 20 according to every service I can find. They are doing a good job of getting in state 4 stars committed. Are they getting flash or substance? Over the last 3 drafts GA has had nearly as many drafted (71 vs 77) with less than half of the population. There is a risk/reward calculation in there somewhere with their 17 of 20 being FL kids, many way down the rankings list, even as 4 stars. Are they passing on all the higher rated guys by position or are they passing on UF? Have they been cherry picking or have they been star shopping for show? We have been down that road before, especially in coaches first years. Time will tell, until then I am not going to cower in Florida Star fear. I do find it odd that Coach has not been shopping down there MORE with his UCF history.
Yeah Florida is stacked with talent (not talking about colleges lol)

These appeared in a player thread in a PERTINENT context. I'm also copying them here, for anyone who wants to pursue them.
Yes and no. Stars matter. There’s no disputing that. If you aren’t recruiting in the top 10 you aren’t winning a championship.

But there is also absolute bias and politics being played. For example, take Arian Smith. This is a dude who never played receiver in high school. But he ran a fast track time and committed to UGA and was immediately bumped to a top 50 player.

Take CJ Allen. CJ Allen is a great player. When he was leaning towards TN, no ratings bump. He was a low 3 star player. The moment he committed silently to UGA, he was bumped to a top 50 player. 2 days after Wiltfong CB’d him to Ga he got that massive bump.

Compare him to Jalen Smith. Smith is 215 pounds, plays against better competition, and broke 5 star Owen Pappoe’s tackle record as a junior. But Smith is coming to TN, he’s a 3 star. How? If Allen would have chosen Tn, Smith would be at Ga. You think their rankings would be the same as they are now?

Take Ricky Gibson. If Ga just recruits the best players and the rankings reflect that, why has Ricky Gibson not gotten a bump? I guarantee that if he would have committed to Ga he would’ve been bumped already.

So yes Bama UGA and others are getting the best players. But there is also no question that favorites are played
Gibson got a bump to a 4* on August 1st (when it appeared uga was going to get him) on the consensus on3 rating. He’s back to a 3*

Last edited:
Everyone of them climbed significantly in the rankings from last summer to december. That was the point

More interested in their progression in our preseason practices... Heard good things so far on three of them.. I have not heard a status on Pearce.

VN Store

Back