Play X, call Y, do Z

With rules for others to follow...which I thought was frowned upon. I guess a select few get passes.

Freak is the only one here that can make rules. If it was something you agreed with you either wouldn't have said anything, or you would have agreed with me that it was his opinion.. Lulz.

Freak is the only one here that can make rules. If it was something you agreed with you either wouldn't have said anything, or you would have agreed with me that it was his opinion.. Lulz.
Good grief....take a deep breath and relax. Usually when posters "tell" others what to do you're on it like a fly on sh*t. In this case you're chasing every post like JP is paying you!

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Let's all just pretend we're as smart about football as the Tennessee coaching staff.

Let's tell them who they need to be playing (Guarantano, Chryst, Shrout, Chandler no Jordan no London no Fils-Aime no Banks, Jennings, Callaway, Palmer, Murphy, Smith, Kennedy, not-Richmond, Wolf, Wood-Anderson ... and that's just the offense...).

Let's tell them where they should play them, too (Jennings at QB, especially, that is the real key to future success).

Let's tell them what formations they should use (QB under center, pro-set, but spread the field, don't do the Butch stuff, but be more creative because pro-style is boring, no spread, but get the benefits of spread...and that's just the offense....).

Let's tell them what plays to call from those formations (never run on first down, but be sure you establish the run game first because the SEC is a line of scrimmage league, can't win without a solid running attack, but stop calling runs on first downs...use more quick passes, but for God's sake take shots downfield, and don't forget the intermediate passing game that's what we're missing, and more--no, less--no, more trick plays, cut out the onside kicks but try to do more of them).

When we're done with all that, let's tell them how to dress (no more dentist outfits, has he ever worn anything orange?) and how to speak, aight? And stop with that eyebrow thing, it's freaking us out. Let's ensure that they know we think it's hugely important that they exude interest and engagement during call-in shows and coach-talk shows, but focus on getting Ws but still act more like a movie star or something.

After all that, we can start offering advice to Pruitt's wife.

No kidding, we have seen every single bit of that on these boards the past 11 weeks.

Stop coaching the coaches, please. They don't need your help.

Thanks. You know who you are. Thanks. *thumbsup*
Outstanding!!!! Nailed it as usual JP!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Good grief....take a deep breath and relax. Usually when posters "tell" others what to do you're on it like a fly on sh*t. In this case you're chasing every post like JP is paying you!

Lol, you're triggered.

First of all Im "on" those that tell me to "slow your roll", " don't do it to yourself ", don't set yourself up for failure/disappointment" etc.

Second, IF I am guilty of what you accuse me of, I guarantee I've been told that it was just an opinion and stfu too.

So, don't be mad Boca, just chill and have fun.

Heh, that's not at all what he's doing (I've tried paying him, but he's teflon). He's having a blast taking shots in a free-for-all thread.

Behr seems to enjoy VN.com in either of two distinct energy-states. When he's in low-energy mode, he's chill, very relaxed, making an insightful comment from time to time. When he gets bumped up into high-energy mode, he's a rapid-fire sniper, picking out shot after shot, anyone who shows logical flaws or, especially, hypocrisy. He apparently hates hypocrisy.

He announced his leap into high-energy mode with his first post in the thread:
This has potential.

I've learned this about him over the years. And yep, I've been a target, too. But not (yet) today; today, it's you. :)

Last edited:
So can we complain or must we just obey?
giphy.gif

So can we complain or must we just obey?

Some folks just aren't gonna understand complex thoughts. In hopes you're not one of those, Jack, I'll explain again: it's not (usually) the content, but rather the disdainful attitude. The disrespect. If you need that explained more fully, look back to my second post of the thread.

I think discussing every aspect of the team is what fans do. There are several things I think the coaches could do, like not be so predictable running on first down as we've seen in some cases. I don't like chasing points in the third quarter, either. It's just my opinion, doesn't mean I'm telling the coaches what to do, nor would they listen to me. :)

I think couch coaching is part of what message boards are for. We share our opinions on what we see, we like, what we dislike and what we might like to see different.

I really don't know what people on either side of the fence hope to accomplish with these types of threads. It's like arguing religion. Nobody is changing anyone's mind.

Regardless, I'm gonna be pulling hard for a win at Vandy. As difficult as the season has been at times, I want a few more weeks of practice and one more game. I think we can make a good showing for ourselves in a bowl game with that much time to prepare.

I think discussing every aspect of the team is what fans do. There are several things I think the coaches could do, like not be so predictable running on first down as we've seen in some cases. I don't like chasing points in the third quarter, either. It's just my opinion, doesn't mean I'm telling the coaches what to do, nor would they listen to me. :)

I think couch coaching is part of what message boards are for. We share our opinions on what we see, we like, what we dislike and what we might like to see different.

I really don't know what people on either side of the fence hope to accomplish with these types of threads. It's like arguing religion. Nobody is changing anyone's mind.

Regardless, I'm gonna be pulling hard for a win at Vandy. As difficult as the season has been at times, I want a few more weeks of practice and one more game. I think we can make a good showing for ourselves in a bowl game with that much time to prepare.
Don't tell him how not to tell other fans how to fan.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

Thanks @Freak, Pruitt is changing his whole gameplan as we type with two days of practice left after reading your post so now we're going to lose.🙃

You have a bifurcated clientelle here in VN.com. Freak, and you try to walk the tightrope of pleasing both sides while constantly in danger of losing one half or the other.

We call it "sunshine pumpers and negavols," but it's not as simple as that. It's almost generational, but that's not right, either, because I know folks my age who are very much in the other camp.

I still have a hard time putting my finger on a clear descriptions of the two camps, but I'm beginning to hone in on it, I think. It revolves around innate respect for, vice innate disdain for, others. And that manifests itself most frequently in these boards in how we treat the coaches and players.

You probably lose folks every day to this. On one side, it's those who are just sick and tired of "all the negativity." On the other side, it's the ones who, well, I can't put it in words for them because I'm still not sure I really understand them. Something along the lines of, "I can't stand those holier-than-thou pricks," I guess.

Anyway, one day this place will be nudged far enough in either direction that folks will begin leaving in droves. I do not envy your task trying to hold that possibility at bay.

I think JP stated it well, when he pointed out Behr's comment this thread has potential. Some posters (myself included) get entertained by threads like this. It has all earmarks of starting a lively discussion.. What can I say? we are easily entertained.

Lol. Well opinions, whether it be about a position coach, a play call, or a coach wearing a tent as a pullover is what makes this site work. Some posters just throw stuff against the wall and some has pretty good points/ideas.

I guess what I'm saying "IMO" is that any post on here has 0 chance of disrupting anything any of the coaches are thinking on coaching or game planning.
Haha. Nothing like criticizing people for posting opinions on here by writing a big ol' overly wordy opinion yourself.

Let's all just pretend we're as smart about football as the Tennessee coaching staff.

Let's tell them who they need to be playing (Guarantano, Chryst, Shrout, Chandler no Jordan no London no Fils-Aime no Banks, Jennings, Callaway, Palmer, Murphy, Smith, Kennedy, not-Richmond, Wolf, Wood-Anderson ... and that's just the offense...).

Let's tell them where they should play them, too (Jennings at QB, especially, that is the real key to future success).

Let's tell them what formations they should use (QB under center, pro-set, but spread the field, don't do the Butch stuff, but be more creative because pro-style is boring, no spread, but get the benefits of spread...and that's just the offense....).

Let's tell them what plays to call from those formations (never run on first down, but be sure you establish the run game first because the SEC is a line of scrimmage league, can't win without a solid running attack, but stop calling runs on first downs...use more quick passes, but for God's sake take shots downfield, and don't forget the intermediate passing game that's what we're missing, and more--no, less--no, more trick plays, cut out the onside kicks but try to do more of them).

When we're done with all that, let's tell them how to dress (no more dentist outfits, has he ever worn anything orange?) and how to speak, aight? And stop with that eyebrow thing, it's freaking us out. Let's ensure that they know we think it's hugely important that they exude interest and engagement during call-in shows and coach-talk shows, but focus on getting Ws but still act more like a movie star or something.

After all that, we can start offering advice to Pruitt's wife.

No kidding, we have seen every single bit of that on these boards the past 11 weeks.

Stop coaching the coaches, please. They don't need your help.

Thanks. You know who you are. Thanks. *thumbsup*
Soooo....shut the site down because noone can share their opinion?

You have a bifurcated clientelle here in VN.com. Freak, and you try to walk the tightrope of pleasing both sides while constantly in danger of losing one half or the other.

We call it "sunshine pumpers and negavols," but it's not as simple as that. It's almost generational, but that's not right, either, because I know folks my age who are very much in the other camp.

I still have a hard time putting my finger on a clear descriptions of the two camps, but I'm beginning to hone in on it, I think. It revolves around innate respect for, vice innate disdain for, others. And that manifests itself most frequently in these boards in how we treat the coaches and players.

You probably lose folks every day to this. On one side, it's those who are just sick and tired of "all the negativity." On the other side, it's the ones who, well, I can't put it in words for them because I'm still not sure I really understand them. Something along the lines of, "I can't stand those holier-than-thou pricks," I guess.

Anyway, one day this place will be nudged far enough in either direction that folks will begin leaving in droves. I do not envy your task trying to hold that possibility at bay.

I tend to be in the sunshine pumper camp, as you may know. I don't particularly like all the negativity, but it's pretty hard to discuss Tennessee football for the last 15 years without being negative at times. Unfortunately, the glass half empty folks have been right more than wrong. Butch and Dooley both did some things that deserved to be called out by the masses who love this program.

I think most of us here fall in the middle of the two extremes.

And how do you know some folks aren't qualified? We could have Petyon Manning on here for all you know. :)

Actually, this place is must less hostile and negative than it has been in years past. I get about as many complaints that I'm censoring the negativity as I do those who complain about it. Either way, I don't really see it as my place to dictate too much, other than trying to uphold a few rules, which is impossible at times. lol.

I think fan apathy has set in to some degree and the only likely cure is winning. Hopefully we have the right staff in place to do that. I'm still optimistic that's the case.

If you're talking about people being a-holes, then that's a completely different argument altogether than your initial post.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back