Play Calling?

All season long our play calling has been at best, suspect. A month ago I asked VN who at UT calls the plays, and the consensus was/is that nobody really knows. We'd have two more wins if our play calling was up to snuff.
Heupel does

Why do we throw the ball around the field well for several plays and then run it up the middle 15 times in a row. It looks like Nico would be good at the option or get the ball in the hands of our "fast" receivers and RB to to the outside.
Because we only have a few wr that catch the ball

Reactions: Eastknox865 and CPA
All season long our play calling has been at best, suspect. A month ago I asked VN who at UT calls the plays, and the consensus was/is that nobody really knows. We'd have two more wins if our play calling was up to snuff.
Here's a hint, the guy with the play call sheet in his hand and covering his mouth before plays is the guy calling the plays.

What exactly do we miss? He didn't call plays and this is CJH's offensive scheme. What we have missed is a good QB. The offense looked night and day better with Nico in there, actually reading the defense and going through progression.
Agreed. If you have a problem with the play calling on offense then you have a problem with the head coach.

I think we were having an issue pass blocking (Sampson needs to really work on this in the off season) so we started running the ball more. Also, I don't know if our WRs were having issues getting open or if Nico was having a hard time processing a top level D in his first start but I'm glad we turned to the running game to keep the game moving. Nico took quite a few sacks/hits today and still looked pretty sharp overall, IMO. If Keyton had kept running on the deep ball and caught it I think Nico's overall passing day would have seemed way more impressive.

I don't understand why we don't throw to the TE. Almost all good offensive teams--college and pros--utilize the TE a lot. We don't. I think we had one
catch by a TE today--which is about our average.

Reactions: b_gann
I'm not an expert but I don't see anything wrong with the play calling in a 35-0 blowout that was maybe in doubt a tiny little bit before we scored 14 points with our freshman QB in his first start. I do know you set the tone with running the ball and doing that well opens up everything else. We were running well and had options.

Reactions: tennrich1
I don't understand why we don't throw to the TE. Almost all good offensive teams--college and pros--utilize the TE a lot. We don't. I think we had one
catch by a TE today--which is about our average.
Actually 2 catches by the TE. Nico’s 1st pass was to Warren and his last pass was to Castles

Offense included much less WR screens with Nico as QB. I think it was apparent though that our WR weren't getting enough separation and the OL was not holding up at times.

Meanwhile, the rushing offense was having alot of success. We had 232 yards rushing on a team averaging only 100 yards allowed.

Once we get our reinforcements in (Holden Staes, Mike Matthews, Chris Brazzell, Bru McCoy?) I expect playcalling to look much more explosive.

Why do we throw the ball around the field well for several plays and then run it up the middle 15 times in a row. It looks like Nico would be good at the option or get the ball in the hands of our "fast" receivers and RB to to the outside.
You may get a very intellectual answer from this board.

So winning the game 35-0 isn't good enough for you?

FL and?

Sleep through the game?🤭

I think we were having an issue pass blocking (Sampson needs to really work on this in the off season) so we started running the ball more. Also, I don't know if our WRs were having issues getting open or if Nico was having a hard time processing a top level D in his first start but I'm glad we turned to the running game to keep the game moving. Nico took quite a few sacks/hits today and still looked pretty sharp overall, IMO. If Keyton had kept running on the deep ball and caught it I think Nico's overall passing day would have seemed way more impressive.
Yep Sampson showed today why Wright was ahead of him they both are great runners. Sampson whiffed some on pass protection blocking . Great runs I think he’s the first back to top 100 vs Iowa this year.

Not nearly as much as we miss HH, and those two drafted receivers.

have to compare Nico’s jr and Sr season stats under the H man to see how much we miss him. Both running CJH offense.
If you watched USF bowl game you would understand what we are missing. We miss Golesh.

Reactions: coachchia

VN Store

Back