Plavsic Cleared?!

He’s one of the best outside shooters....”when he has an open look.”

Vescovi certainly seems to be a good player, and a very good shooter. I think “time” will be greatly beneficial to him as well.

If you watch him shoot, he has a very slow shot and release. He likes to get an actual look at the basket. Then he shoots and he almost has a kind of “hitch” to his shot which takes just a tiny bit of time for him to release the ball.

This makes it much harder for him to have say a quick catch and shoot shot. It makes for fine spot up shooting (when open) but hinders his “catch and shoot” and hinders him making shots himself.

Because of his slight “hitch” he isn’t close to one of the best shooters at Tennessee in a while......but because he shoots the ball so well.......it makes him look like one.

don’t get me wrong, he is a fine shooter, and with time, work and practice he could “improve” his shooting mechanics and become a deadly shooter.

Here’s my issue with this line of thinking, not saying you’re wrong, but...

He’s averaging 6 attempts from deep a game, that would be the most in the last 5 years at Tennessee and that was to Jordan McRae. So while he maybe doesn’t just pull up in someone’s face he’s finding just as many attempts that are “wide open” as these other guys did not being open or having to pull up while guarded? Is that a bad thing? Not saying you are saying it is, just a narrative I have noticed...he either is really savvy at fo finding openings and soft spots, or something, but to have no pull up game and still average that many attempts is telling.

NCAA delay ended up costing Pember the redshirt year he really needs. National communists against Athletes

This. I'm happy for Uros, but this ticks me off to no end at the NCAA. They're criminals.

I read somewhere that this appeal used more info than the first waiver request

I think there is reason to believe our compliance folks dropped the ball by submitting a poor waiver request that was easy to deny

I think there is reason to believe our compliance folks dropped the ball by submitting a poor waiver request that was easy to deny

I remember Barnes saying they would try another route when he was rejected. He gave no details at that time. Stick that in your pipe Geno, you need a better AD!

I remember Barnes saying they would try another route when he was rejected. He gave no details at that time. Stick that in your pipe Geno, you need a better AD!

Which means they didn’t use all their ammo the first time. That mistake cost uros 1/2 year

No kidding. What changed? What is the reason for them to deny him only now to approve? Seems totally arbitrary

According to Coach Kim English in his "Chalk Talk" before the LSU game, the hearing Uros just had with the NCAA actually allowed him to talk to the committee. This was the first time they were able to ask him questions and hear him answer. Coach English seemed to believe he was going to be cleared. I am guessing that the NCAA heard the whole story directly from a kid that wants to play, and realized that they had made the wrong call. I don't understand why this process can't happen before the start of the season, but at least he only lost half a year instead of a full one.

That's fair. But when a kid is dismissed from Arkansas for behavioral/legal issues, turns up at West Virginia and is granted immediate eligibility....while Uros sat an entire year at ASU, transfers in good standing, and is denied until 1/14....how many more details do we need? There simply is no consistency.

That's fair. But when a kid is dismissed from Arkansas for behavioral/legal issues, turns up at West Virginia and is granted immediate eligibility....while Uros sat an entire year at ASU, transfers in good standing, and is denied until 1/14....how many more details do we need? There simply is no consistency.

Honestly I am ready for just full fledged Free agency with one time free transfer
now it’s just about who has the best lawyer that knows how to work the system

Reactions: Lefteye

I think you misread...

That is the waiver Tennessee submitted under, but according to VQ there was no now info provided

My thoughts:

#1 Very excited he is allowed to play and I think he is absolutely a contributor.
#2 Seeing lots of posts about all these shots he is going to block, he is not a shot blocker.
#3 Pons' success has been because he is playing the 4, do not see the addition of Uros moving him to the 3 but for maybe very limited minutes each game. He must stay at the 4 offensively. He could guard a 3 without problem though.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Which means they didn’t use all their ammo the first time. That mistake cost uros 1/2 year
Could be, or it could be that they didn’t anticipate ASU being uncooperative, and had to sling a little mud in their direction in the appeals process.

Could be, or it could be that they didn’t anticipate ASU being uncooperative, and had to sling a little mud in their direction in the appeals process.

I’ve said before, usually if a kid doesn’t get immediate eligibility it’s because the kid doesn’t have a good lawyer or the school doesn’t cooperate. My feelings are Arizona State was not cooperative.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I think this is the most reasonable argument. The notion that UT's compliance gave less than their best shot is pretty far-fetched.

Reactions: walkenvol
Here’s my issue with this line of thinking, not saying you’re wrong, but...

He’s averaging 6 attempts from deep a game, that would be the most in the last 5 years at Tennessee and that was to Jordan McRae. So while he maybe doesn’t just pull up in someone’s face he’s finding just as many attempts that are “wide open” as these other guys did not being open or having to pull up while guarded? Is that a bad thing? Not saying you are saying it is, just a narrative I have noticed...he either is really savvy at fo finding openings and soft spots, or something, but to have no pull up game and still average that many attempts is telling.

I agree his attempts is very telling......and for me his % is even more so at 56% (from 3).

I say his % is telling because he is so young and has basically just arrived. Lots of freshman will shoot a lot......especially if they have to.....few will hit those at over 50% (small sample size and numbers will change over time, but for now it is what it is).

All that said he is a really good shooter. He shoots a lot, he hits a lot......but for me.....and for right now he is not “one of the best shooters Tennessee has had”.......simply because rarely does he create (for himself) and I’m not sure I have seen a catch and shoot 3....yet. Also with his mechanics it “could” (hasn’t yet) hinder his ability to score (because of the time it takes to shoot “distance” shots).

He is such a good shooter....think of what he could do (eventually may do) when he is able to catch and shoot like Bowden does (Bowden isn’t hitting, but he can and does catch and shoot almost instantaneously.....just doesn’t have the making them down pat right now).

Also just another note. Tennessee’s offense is designed to get players good spot up shots. Right now he is taking advantage of that.....and I suspect he will for a long time.

I’ve said before, usually if a kid doesn’t get immediate eligibility it’s because the kid doesn’t have a good lawyer or the school doesn’t cooperate. My feelings are Arizona State was not cooperative.
I think this is the most reasonable argument. The notion that UT's compliance gave less than their best shot is pretty far-fetched.
Yeah, I think Tennessee expected this to be an open and shut case and presented only evidence they felt necessary to gain immediate eligibility without painting ASU in bad light. It would appear that ASU’s lack of cooperation likely led to a denial in his waiver. In their appeal, this likely led Tennessee and Plavsic to put all the cards on the table.

I agree his attempts is very telling......and for me his % is even more so at 56% (from 3).

I say his % is telling because he is so young and has basically just arrived. Lots of freshman will shoot a lot......especially if they have to.....few will hit those at over 50% (small sample size and numbers will change over time, but for now it is what it is).

All that said he is a really good shooter. He shoots a lot, he hits a lot......but for me.....and for right now he is not “one of the best shooters Tennessee has had”.......simply because rarely does he create (for himself) and I’m not sure I have seen a catch and shoot 3....yet. Also with his mechanics it “could” (hasn’t yet) hinder his ability to score (because of the time it takes to shoot “distance” shots).

He is such a good shooter....think of what he could do (eventually may do) when he is able to catch and shoot like Bowden does (Bowden isn’t hitting, but he can and does catch and shoot almost instantaneously.....just doesn’t have the making them down pat right now).

Also just another note. Tennessee’s offense is designed to get players good spot up shots. Right now he is taking advantage of that.....and I suspect he will for a long time.
So question...

If he goes down as Top 5 in history in 3pt shots made is he still not “one of the best shooters Tennessee has had” simply because a large part of those will have been open?

So question...

If he goes down as Top 5 in history in 3pt shots made is he still not “one of the best shooters Tennessee has had” simply because a large part of those will have been open?

I would say if he does go down as a top 5 in history.....the stat alone answered the question.

However “I” am willing to assume “if” he were to become a “top 5 all time” that his shooting mechanics changed......or at least he learned to “catch and shoot” or create on his own....with his “different” mechanics.

I am also confident he will not become a “top 5 all time” (from 3) having only one type of shot......an open spot up shot.

I think you may be trying to make this into something it isn’t. He has played in 3 games.....three. I highly doubt many people said Lofton was the greatest, after only 3 games....also those who may have weren’t doing so with valid information (only their opinion).....as it takes time, not 3 games to be considered as the or one of the greatest of anything.

All I’m saying is Vescovi has a “hitch” (kind of thing) in his shooting mechanics......which he does (this isn’t an opinion). Because of that I certainly would not say 3 games in he is one of the best shooters to ever play for Tennessee.....he may very well turn into one of them, but I think his shot and game and mechanics (or knowledge of how to get around his mechanics) will improve with time playing and practicing.

VN Store

Back