Pitching choices??

Wouldn't you have to win 3 to get the Championship Series? You'd have to beat FSU twice , right?
I don't think so. Every team we play in the losers bracket will already have a loss. On that note, someone made a good point about the Oklahoma game. If we had won that game, that would mean we would likely have to beat them 3 times to win the title. Now we only have to beat them twice. Still a daunting task, but more doable.

Wouldn't you have to win 3 to get the Championship Series? You'd have to beat FSU twice , right?

yes win 1 game today and 2 tomorrow. That’s another reason I don’t get yesterdays pitching decision by Karen? They have added 1 day the tournament it used to be all elimination games were played on Sunday now it’s 1 today and 2 tomorrow if necessary making Karen’s decision more idiotic!

Reactions: mudcat1973
The thing about Oklahoma fans are that Tennessee is their favorite SEC team. Great football games, great softball games and with a loved son of Sooner Nation Josh Heupel there "everyone" follows Tennessee football. Good to see the Vols Ladies joining OU in the prayer circle after the game...Stanford is the only team in years that didnt join it.

What I'm saying is Oklahoma is leaps and bounds better than any other team in Oklahoma City. They are going to win it. Everyone else is competing for runner up. Now I agree with you that there is no difference between 2nd and 64th. Hope we win out but don't see it happening.

Yep, you can look at it from both sides. If Karen pitches AR and loses 1 to 0 in an extra inning game and they lose the 1st losers bracket game because AR was spent ineffective and/or whoever they started was sub par. Then you have some that say we should have saved AR and navigate the losers bracket and get the players acclimated to WWCS and then they'd be ready for Okie or whoever and compete for the ship. Hindsight is 20/20.
A lot of ppl were complaining because TV didn't take Chase Burns out vs Clemson but it paid off for the Vols, baseball/softball is a fickle sport.

As I said, I am not a "regular" softball watcher... Question to those who are

Is it not against the rules for the hind-catcher to pound the glove like that girl did?
The batter was set and the pitcher was in delivery when she did it,,,that would seem to be against rules

As I said, I am not a "regular" softball watcher... Question to those who are

Is it not against the rules for the hind-catcher to pound the glove like that girl did?
The batter was set and the pitcher was in delivery when she did it,,,that would seem to be against rules

No, it isn’t illegal.

It didn't work, but honestly, I don't hate the strategy. It was similar to the Braves using 2 bullpen games en route to the 2021 World Series.

Use 3 pitchers to pitch 2 innings each, advantages are: Your opponent hitters don't get to see the same pitcher twice. Alternating the pitching styles also should affect the hitter's timing to your advantage. Leading with a rookie flame thrower makes sense because they haven't scouted her as well and hopefully you steal 2 innings of shutout ball.

Sometimes good plans just don't work.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Look at Clemson baseball
payton gets two game two ? will asyley pitch game 2 or will be one of the under class men? will any pitcher pitch in both? hoping for vols win and whether makes them game two on tuesday. how deep are floria state pitchers not seen them play? payton starts game 1 my 2 cents

Oklahoma is much farther from the rest of the field in softball than South Carolina was in WBB. For all the talk about parity its as if all of the best players that would have found their way to UCLA or Arizona in the past all decided to land in Norman. In my opinion this run is even more dominant than anything UConn or Tennessee put together in Womens Basketball. The only other comparison is Alabama football over last decade.
Wow, is Oklahoma that good?! I don’t follow softball, at all, but gee whiz, I can’t imagine a team dominating like that.

payton gets two game two ? will asyley pitch game 2 or will be one of the under class men? will any pitcher pitch in both? hoping for vols win and whether makes them game two on tuesday. how deep are floria state pitchers not seen them play? payton starts game 1 my 2 cents
It’s survive and advance to win each inning at this point. PG is going to have to go deep to give us the best chance for a second game. Game two is inning by inning showcase style with hoping AR can give you something.

No, it isn’t illegal.
Then would it be legal for me as a batter to scream at the pitcher as they are about to release the pitch?

To me this would equate to making a disturbing noise as a baller is about to release a free throw or as a golfer is about to swing.

If someone did this to my team,,,they would pay dearly,,,,they wouldn't WANT me behind the plate when they were batting,,,Moms, sisters, anything I could throw verbally at the batters would be open season..."If you're scared, buy a dog,,,I don't need a dog!

Reactions: Harpethriverkid63
Well the Mighty Sooners have advanced. They have been to the championship series now 4 yrs in a row. Can the Vols or Noles stop em?

The late great Dale Earnhardt said second was just the first loser.
Dale didn't have to quit if he lost two in a row. OK pitched there ace, when they had problems hitting the ball, it was against speed pitchers, and they didn't do much until she started walking batters. We did make it a playoff for the final 4.

Karen doesn't know how to manage her pitching staff on the big stage. This is why we lost to Arizona. You have a Power Pitcher in Monica Abbot who was absolutely unhittable in the first game, yet everyone except the coaches know that a Power Pitcher will tire out. There was no reason to start Monica in the 2nd game. if we won, awesome, if we lost, she was rested and would be unhittable again. But, they started her and she tired out and Arizona pounced and then they had no choice but to pitch her in the 3rd game and we all knew the outcome. To this day I will never understand why they didn't rest her in the 2nd game and let her dominate the 3rd if it was needed.

just a note,,,,Monica Abbot holds the world record for fastest pitch 77MPH...Pickens hit 76 several times,,,and she's a freshman

Yep, you can look at it from both sides. If Karen pitches AR and loses 1 to 0 in an extra inning game and they lose the 1st losers bracket game because AR was spent ineffective and/or whoever they started was sub par. Then you have some that say we should have saved AR and navigate the losers bracket and get the players acclimated to WWCS and then they'd be ready for Okie or whoever and compete for the ship. Hindsight is 20/20.
A lot of ppl were complaining because TV didn't take Chase Burns out vs Clemson but it paid off for the Vols, baseball/softball is a fickle sport.

You can't "look at it from both sides." It was a huge game--the biggest freakin' game of the year. You play your best against their best--as any coach with a lick of sense would do without a second thought. Going through the loser's bracket is always nearly impossible. Pace or no pace, Pickens was not our best pitcher; indeed, she'd barely pitched in the post season! Not only that, she was getting yanked after 2/3 innings or so in nearly all her starts late in the season, and her innings pitched had decreased. And you think she's ready to subdue OU? It was an absurd decision--and as a result, we can't even look back at that game and say, "Hey, well, they beat or best pitcher." Not only that, but Weekly gave up a second time when she pulled Pickens early and inserted one, then two pitchers who barely pitched all year! A completely defeatist and dumb decision.

VN Store

Back