Pirateland

JCHateSteve

Official Claimant of the 2023 National Title
Does anybody know anything about Pirateland? My favorite "old lady" at work suggested it to me as a vacation destination. It's a "campsite" at Myrtle Beach. It's hard to explain, so I'll just link their website.

Pirateland Family Camping Resort

We've had 2 vacations, in a row, get killed by circumstances (an unexpected layoff, then Covid). We need a fun vacation for Mrs. HateSteve and I, plus our 7 year old. But, we're on a budget.

I showed Pirateland to my wife and she's just over the moon with the idea of going there next summer.

I'd love any input anybody has. I must admit it looks like a fun place. But, I've never heard of it before now.

We're looking at renting one of their "front porch" lots the last week of May 2021.

Does anybody know anything about Pirateland? My favorite "old lady" at work suggested it to me as a vacation destination. It's a "campsite" at Myrtle Beach. It's hard to explain, so I'll just link their website.

We've had 2 vacations, in a row, get killed by circumstances (an unexpected layoff, then Covid). We need a fun vacation for Mrs. HateSteve and I, plus our 7 year old. But, we're on a budget.

I showed Pirateland to my wife and she's just over the moon with the idea of going there next summer.

I'd love any input anybody has. I must admit it looks like a fun place. But, I've never heard of it before now.

We're looking at renting one of their "front porch" lots the last week of May 2021.

This is the place we typically head over to to Kayak, we are going to camp there later in the fall. May shouldn't be to hot and humid here yet. They have dog friendly sites with a dog beach, Kayak, Jet ski, bike rentals. Pretty cool place. 45 minutes from Tampa. 1.5 hr from Disney.

Ft. DeSoto Park

Reactions: JCHateSteve
thanks for bringing up good childhood memories. When I was growing up in the 70s, we would always go to MB and camp out so I'm familiar with Pirateland but in name only. We would stay in either Lakewood or Ocean Lakes but I'm sure PL is similar. If you have kids, be sure to take their bikes. Being a fully enclosed location they can ride safely all over the campground. Take a fishing pole since theres ponds. You'll not get big whoppers but its fun to catch brim. (one time at lakewood I caught an eel). When you wake in the morning, there's the overlying wonderful smell and sounds of breakfast cooking.
The bad thing is that when you're ready to go to the beach it is a little walk unless you get close so take a wagon to load your stuff.

fun fact: PirateLand is not only a campground but also had an amusement park. Small but fun. It went thru a few name changes before it finally shut down.

We had a permanent site there for many years. I miss it. I recommend it highly.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
We haven't been down there since my wife got sick and I'm sure it's changed some, but if you have any specific questions, I'll answer the best I can.
Do you think it will be a good time for a 8 year old? We're looking at renting one of their cabins? Are the prices at the on site store reasonable? It should we haul groceries down there?

Do you think it will be a good time for a 8 year old? We're looking at renting one of their cabins? Are the prices at the on site store reasonable? It should we haul groceries down there?

Yes on the 8-year old having a good time. When the kids were younger, they loved it. They had putt putt, pool/lazy river, and paddle boats there in the campground.

I looked it up, and those cabins are new. They look pretty nice. That's not a far walk from the beach accesses. Those lakes are good fishing (brackish water), but I think with the law change down there you might technically need a license now (not sure if it's enforced in there or not). I just don't know on that, but SC offers a short-term saltwater license.

The bath houses have always been nice. The best one was always there near those cabins.

I only went into that store to get something in a pinch, but we never really took food down there. There are several grocery stores headed south on 17. We used to like the Piggly Wiggly. It looks like there's a new Wal-Mart neighborhood market within a couple of miles, according to the map.

As for saltwater piers, going north the state park is closest (but it's a pretty short pier). The next one is Springmaid, and they just finished a rebuild. A buddy texted me last week they were charging $3 to park and $12 per rod, which is insane. Going south the closest pier is Surfside (also short, and with metered parking), and next is Garden City. You can park under the pier at Garden City, which is nice in hot weather. But the best fishing pier down there is Apache (north), followed by Garden City.

Yes on the 8-year old having a good time. When the kids were younger, they loved it. They had putt putt, pool/lazy river, and paddle boats there in the campground.

I looked it up, and those cabins are new. They look pretty nice. That's not a far walk from the beach accesses. Those lakes are good fishing (brackish water), but I think with the law change down there you might technically need a license now (not sure if it's enforced in there or not). I just don't know on that, but SC offers a short-term saltwater license.

The bath houses have always been nice. The best one was always there near those cabins.

I only went into that store to get something in a pinch, but we never really took food down there. There are several grocery stores headed south on 17. We used to like the Piggly Wiggly. It looks like there's a new Wal-Mart neighborhood market within a couple of miles, according to the map.

As for saltwater piers, going north the state park is closest (but it's a pretty short pier). The next one is Springmaid, and they just finished a rebuild. A buddy texted me last week they were charging $3 to park and $12 per rod, which is insane. Going south the closest pier is Surfside (also short, and with metered parking), and next is Garden City. You can park under the pier at Garden City, which is nice in hot weather. But the best fishing pier down there is Apache (north), followed by Garden City.
I hadn't even thought about needing a fishing license. Will have to looking into that. Any idea how much carry rental is?

Lol, yes.

They're really expensive, I've heard. Also, I've heard people say there can be availability issues. I don't know if they reserve those in advance or not. We had our own for a very long time, went through several because had to keep parked outside if we didn't haul it back here. Insurance on it made it unfeasible to keep a few years back. We just walked from that point forward.

To clarify, you wouldn't need a license to fish on a pier or if you went out on a boat (covered by that pier/boat blanket license), only if you surf fish or bank fish.

As it gets closer for your trip, stick an e-mail address up here or in the Zone, and we will make arrangements to meet locally (pretty sure you said your JC was Johnson City) and I will lend you some gear and rigs you won't have to buy. Just let me know. I haven't used it in years and don't have any plans to use it any time soon. I'd like someone to get some use out of it. HA

They're really expensive, I've heard. Also, I've heard people say there can be availability issues. I don't know if they reserve those in advance or not. We had our own for a very long time, went through several because had to keep parked outside if we didn't haul it back here. Insurance on it made it unfeasible to keep a few years back. We just walked from that point forward.

To clarify, you wouldn't need a license to fish on a pier or if you went out on a boat (covered by that pier/boat blanket license), only if you surf fish or bank fish.

As it gets closer for your trip, stick an e-mail address up here or in the Zone, and we will make arrangements to meet locally (pretty sure you said your JC was Johnson City) and I will lend you some gear and rigs you won't have to buy. Just let me know. I haven't used it in years and don't have any plans to use it any time soon. I'd like someone to get some use out of it. HA
Awesome, thanks. We're looking at end of May/Early June 2021.

Reactions: GordonC

VN Store

Back