Pipeline Shutdown

VolStrom

He/Him/Gator Hater
FBI names 'Darkside' as Colonial Pipeline cyberattacker

The FBI said Monday that the ransomware gang known as "Darkside" was the group responsible for the attack over the weekend that forced the shutdown of the Colonial Pipeline networks responsible for carrying gasoline from Texas to the Northeast.

Darkside announced its existence in August 2020, and claims it does not attack medical, educational or government targets – only large corporations – and that it donates a portion of what it takes to charity.

The group will harvest data from a victim’s server, then encrypt it and request a ransom. The group then will upload the data to a leak website on the dark web, which will publish should it not receive the ransom, risking sensitive data loss for any victim organization.

The FBI said Monday that the ransomware gang known as "Darkside" was the group responsible for the attack over the weekend that forced the shutdown of the Colonial Pipeline networks responsible for carrying gasoline from Texas to the Northeast.

Darkside announced its existence in August 2020, and claims it does not attack medical, educational or government targets – only large corporations – and that it donates a portion of what it takes to charity.

The group will harvest data from a victim’s server, then encrypt it and request a ransom. The group then will upload the data to a leak website on the dark web, which will publish should it not receive the ransom, risking sensitive data loss for any victim organization.

Real geniuses. I guess they figure medical lives in a vacuum and doesnt require gasoline to function.

Reactions: 508mikey
A stellar piece of reporting by CNN, but as usual someone has found a way into our pockets. Thanks Joe!

Gas prices: Pipeline shutdown sparks worries of $3 a gallon - CNN

An excerpt:

Why would TN run out of gasoline "during normal circumstances"?

I actually had a stint as a pipeline operator for Colonial in 1990. The main line runs from LA to NY thru Atlanta with like 48-60" lines, one diesel fuel/aviation and the larger a gas line. The stub line runs from Atlanta thru Chatt. and terminates in Nashville. These lines are 8" and 12" iirc.

I would imagine these small lines built decades ago do not suppolrt current demand, or at least no excess.

Gas Stations Begin to Run Out of Fuel after cyberattack on Colonial Pipeline as it's revealed 12 other businesses are being targeted in ongoing hack

• On Monday evening gas stations in Atlanta were reporting shortages
  • Criminal group DarkSide, believed to be based in Russia, is thought to be guilty
  • 'We are apolitical, we do not participate in geopolitics,' the hackers wrote
Gas stations in Atlanta and Virginia are closing their pumps due to a fuel shortage brought on by the Colonial Pipeline hack, and a state of emergency has been declared by the governor of North Carolina.

42822356-9564219-image-a-20_1620691398547.jpg

Gas stations in Atlanta were suffering from shortages on Monday as a result of the hack

42759134-9558509-image-a-1_1620561597376.jpg

The Colonial Pipeline runs from Texas to New Jersey and carries 100 million gallons of fuel daily

Gas stations begin to run out of fuel after cyberattack on Colonial Pipeline | Daily Mail Online

Gas Stations Begin to Run Out of Fuel after cyberattack on Colonial Pipeline as it's revealed 12 other businesses are being targeted in ongoing hack

• On Monday evening gas stations in Atlanta were reporting shortages
  • Criminal group DarkSide, believed to be based in Russia, is thought to be guilty
  • 'We are apolitical, we do not participate in geopolitics,' the hackers wrote
Gas stations in Atlanta and Virginia are closing their pumps due to a fuel shortage brought on by the Colonial Pipeline hack, and a state of emergency has been declared by the governor of North Carolina.

42822356-9564219-image-a-20_1620691398547.jpg

Gas stations in Atlanta were suffering from shortages on Monday as a result of the hack

42759134-9558509-image-a-1_1620561597376.jpg

The Colonial Pipeline runs from Texas to New Jersey and carries 100 million gallons of fuel daily

Gas stations begin to run out of fuel after cyberattack on Colonial Pipeline | Daily Mail Online

Evil pipeline.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I knew 85-90% of the gasoline produced in this country is produced in Louisiana and Texas but I had no idea the east coast and southeast got so much of it by pipeline. That’s a vulnerability our enemies obviously know all too well.

I knew 85-90% of the gasoline produced in this country is produced in Louisiana and Texas but I had no idea the east coast and southeast got so much of it by pipeline. That’s a vulnerability our enemies obviously know all too well.
Wasn't this same pipeline in the news on several occasions in the last decade? This doesn't seem like the first interruption of that system.

Wasn't this same pipeline in the news on several occasions in the last decade? This doesn't seem like the first interruption of that system.
You may be right about that but I don’t recall gasoline supplies drying up in Atlanta or elsewhere.

Years ago most of the land in the right of way of the pipeline was sold to fireworks stands and go kart tracks so accidents have unfortunately been quite common.

When/will East TN see possible ramifications from the cyber attack? Price increase or shortages?
I saw it today when I was out and about, everyone was filling up and gas stations were backed up. I've got a half tank, so I'm good for another two months.

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back