Pigeon Forge Vacation

So who are you upset with exactly, the poor rednecks who come visit, or the money men developers who built it so they would come?
Why can’t it be both? Supply and demand are two sides of the same coin. I seriously can’t believe you’d take exception to anything I’ve said about how this tacky development has ruined the area.

So who are you upset with exactly, the poor rednecks who come visit, or the money men developers who built it so they would come?
Both? Im just mad at the world dangummit:p. I know its not directed at me but I more blame the towns and permitting /planning for the cluster screw of having that much traffic without infrastructure to support it. GSMNP is supposed be the most visited NP by a factor of 2X more than the Grand Canyon and with the easy access / parkway sometimes I think its too easy for its own good.
Badlands, Zion, Arches, Big Bend, Acadia, Boundary waters, Glacier, and in my own home state Outer Banks, et al... are still fairly pristine due to the local municipalities being judicious in their development so as not to ruin what is great about them. Greater Sevier county planning and tourism not so much.

Sorry for the derail but OP if I were going I would stay on the other side of the park in Bryson City, Catalochee valley, Maggie Valley and drive over to Gatlinburg once just to get my tourist fix ( go cart track, tshirts, pancake houses, helicopter ride) but I hope you have a great time wherever you stay!

Both? Im just mad at the world dangummit:p. I know its not directed at me but I more blame the towns and permitting /planning for the cluster screw of having that much traffic without infrastructure to support it. GSMNP is supposed be the most visited NP by a factor of 2X more than the Grand Canyon and with the easy access / parkway sometimes I think its too easy for its own good.
Badlands, Zion, Arches, Big Bend, Acadia, Boundary waters, Glacier, and in my own home state Outer Banks, et al... are still fairly pristine due to the local municipalities being judicious in their development so as not to ruin what is great about them. Greater Sevier county planning and tourism not so much.

Sorry for the derail but OP if I were going I would stay on the other side of the park in Bryson City, Catalochee valley, Maggie Valley and drive over to Gatlinburg once just to get my tourist fix ( go cart track, tshirts, pancake houses, helicopter ride) but I hope you have a great time wherever you stay!
The municipalities reflect their constituents. We live in a land where Government and regulation are bad words. Planners are the enemy. Developers are the good guys because they provide jobs.
People in some other areas dont want the commercialzation of the natural beauty. Others would sell the national parks to private owners. Private property rights.
FWIW, I grew up near there. 60 years ago our visiting relatives would comment about the tackiness of Gatlinburg, and as it grew also PF. I don't recall Gatlinburg as ever being quaint.
The park was beautiful.

Mt. JULIET is similar. A huge shopping/living area, Providence that has horrible roads and gridlock almost daily. A total lack of planning.

Pigeon Forge has the original vertical wind tunnel in the US.
That is their claim but it doesn't seem to be true. Seems the Vegas location opened first due to a fire when building the PF location. They were racing to open first. They both used the same design from a Canadian company. That's probably why they make the claim.

Okay, here's the most unlikely recommendation you'll get and one I would never have thought I'd give, but....

We visited East Tennessee in the summer and after a couple days hiking and picnicking in the Smokies we let our girls (10 and 12) pick a few things to do in PF as a reward for putting up with Mom and Dad's boring nature crap. One of the things they wanted was to go to the Titanic museum. Uggghhhh. Big gaudy-ass boat building on the strip, had to be even cheesier inside. It was my most dreaded stop of the whole trip.

But I really enjoyed it! It wasn't really cheesy at all, more of a real museum that took the whole historic event seriously and did a good job of selling the real-life story with lots of interactive exhibits, artifacts and photos. I ended up making the kids mad by taking too long to look at and read everything. I was quite impressed with the place.

We showed up late in the day and there was no one else entering, so the woman who sold the tickets (clearly a mega-Titanic nerd) took the opportunity to talk up the ship, the story, lots of nerdy details that were really fascinating, things the movie did completely wrong, etc. We were probably there with her for 10-15 minutes before we even went in, and happily so. Glad we went.
I went there a couple of years ago. A pleasant entertainment experience for 1 to 2 hours.

Okay, here's the most unlikely recommendation you'll get and one I would never have thought I'd give, but....

We visited East Tennessee in the summer and after a couple days hiking and picnicking in the Smokies we let our girls (10 and 12) pick a few things to do in PF as a reward for putting up with Mom and Dad's boring nature crap. One of the things they wanted was to go to the Titanic museum. Uggghhhh. Big gaudy-ass boat building on the strip, had to be even cheesier inside. It was my most dreaded stop of the whole trip.

But I really enjoyed it! It wasn't really cheesy at all, more of a real museum that took the whole historic event seriously and did a good job of selling the real-life story with lots of interactive exhibits, artifacts and photos. I ended up making the kids mad by taking too long to look at and read everything. I was quite impressed with the place.

We showed up late in the day and there was no one else entering, so the woman who sold the tickets (clearly a mega-Titanic nerd) took the opportunity to talk up the ship, the story, lots of nerdy details that were really fascinating, things the movie did completely wrong, etc. We were probably there with her for 10-15 minutes before we even went in, and happily so. Glad we went.
That Wonder thing next to it is cool. Full of science stuff.

I have not yet been to the Titanic museum but I've heard it is a great experience. WonderWorks is really fun for both kids and adults, there is so much going on in there and so much to do.

I have not yet been to the Titanic museum but I've heard it is a great experience. WonderWorks is really fun for both kids and adults, there is so much going on in there and so much to do.
Wonder Works! That's it.

We are renting a cabin near Pigeon Forge in August. We have two kids (9 and 11) and not really interested in doing the attractions at Pigeon Forge, as we have the same stuff near us in Branson, MO. What we would like to do is a family float trip (not a crazy rapids type), horseback riding, hiking and see some beautiful scenery. I am doing research and checking reviews and recommendations from this thread as well. Does anyone on here have recommendations of must-dos while in the Smoky Mountains - especially family hiking, scenic tours, and river type floating or kayaking? Not trying to re-spark the debate on tourist traps, just looking for these specific type activities (hiking, floating, horseback riding, and scenic views) as activities during this COVID-19 time. Thanks in advance.

We are renting a cabin near Pigeon Forge in August. We have two kids (9 and 11) and not really interested in doing the attractions at Pigeon Forge, as we have the same stuff near us in Branson, MO. What we would like to do is a family float trip (not a crazy rapids type), horseback riding, hiking and see some beautiful scenery. I am doing research and checking reviews and recommendations from this thread as well. Does anyone on here have recommendations of must-dos while in the Smoky Mountains - especially family hiking, scenic tours, and river type floating or kayaking? Not trying to re-spark the debate on tourist traps, just looking for these specific type activities (hiking, floating, horseback riding, and scenic views) as activities during this COVID-19 time. Thanks in advance.
Not sure if you are wanting all day hikes or not.. A couple of short ones that I recommend are Ogle's Place..it's short near town and you can see a couple of old homes and a homemade mill...also Porter's Creek has a cantilever barn, a log cabin, and a waterfall..Laurel Falls and Clingmans Dome are just so busy in summer I don't recommend them
Hiking in the Smokies | HikingintheSmokys.com

Reactions: give_him 6
Not sure if you are wanting all day hikes or not.. A couple of short ones that I recommend are Ogle's Place..it's short near town and you can see a couple of old homes and a homemade mill...also Porter's Creek has a cantilever barn, a log cabin, and a waterfall..Laurel Falls and Clingmans Dome are just so busy in summer I don't recommend them
Hiking in the Smokies | HikingintheSmokys.com
Thank you for these recommendations.

Reactions: VolnJC

When my kids were that age, they liked the Clingmans Dome hike to the tower and playing around the rocks right off the trail. Laurel Falls Trail is also good for all ages. But get to both of them early as parking lots fill up fast. There are several tube rental places over in Townsend on the Little River. Never done that but it looks like fun.

I understand the argument being a tourist trap. My in laws had a real log cabin up into Gatlinburg, but it burned down in the fire. It was a nice getaway, but I am also from West TN.

We took 5 families to a football game last fall and stayed in a big, brand new cabin with an indoor pool. We went to Dollywood the Monday after. Even though I had gone to UT, I had never been. The experience went beyond my expectations. They have the fastest wooden roller coaster in the world, and it was intense. Their rides are not a joke. I mostly stay away from the tourist stuff, but you can find things to have fun for a few days.

When my kids were that age, they liked the Clingmans Dome hike to the tower and playing around the rocks right off the trail. Laurel Falls Trail is also good for all ages. But get to both of them early as parking lots fill up fast. There are several tube rental places over in Townsend on the Little River. Never done that but it looks like fun.
Thanks for the recommendation about getting there early. We were also looking at the tube rental location River Rat in Townsend. Appreciate it.

Thank you for these recommendations.
Let me know about what you are looking for in a hike...Alum cave is a shorter hike and the kids would probably thinks it's cool walking thru Arch Rock..you can stay on that trail all the way to Leconte and get a sack lunch from the highest restaurant east of the Mississippi...Grotto Falls is also a short option and has a walk behind waterfall

Let me know about what you are looking for in a hike...Alum cave is a shorter hike and the kids would probably thinks it's cool walking thru Arch Rock..you can stay on that trail all the way to Leconte and get a sack lunch from the highest restaurant east of the Mississippi...Grotto Falls is also a short option and has a walk behind waterfall
Both of those trails sound good. Are Cade's Cove and Clingman's Dome worth it? I see mixed reviews from people on this since they appear to draw more traffic.

Both of those trails sound good. Are Cade's Cove and Clingman's Dome worth it? I see mixed reviews from people on this since they appear to draw more traffic.

I love Cades Cove area but my kids had no interest in seeing the old structures. The things my kids liked were playing near the streams or in rocks off the trails. Alum is a good trail - my kids wouldn’t have been able to make it up and back to LeConte without a lot of complaining. Yours might. The views from top of Mt. LeConte are spectacular but I would have worried about my kids getting too close to the edge. Any place you start hiking early in the morning will be ok crowd wise. Tubing is best done in the afternoon.

Both are really nice but so busy, especially in the summer. Here is the video for Alum...another neat little hike is Trillium Gap..if you get there early on MWF you can follow the llamas as they make the trek to restock Leconte

Both are really nice but so busy, especially in the summer. Here is the video for Alum...another neat little hike is Trillium Gap..if you get there early on MWF you can follow the llamas as they make the trek to restock Leconte

Thanks for sharing this video.

Reactions: VolnJC
If your kids like riding bikes, I think they'd like renting bikes and riding the loop around Cades Cove. Very nice scenery, you may see some wildlife, can pack a lunch and stop along the way, and also take in some Appalachian history if there is interest.

VN Store

Back