Pictures of Warren down on terrible spot?

Orange-heart

Any pictures of the terrible ball spot for Warren that triggered the outrage in the Ole Miss game with 53 seconds left? I can’t find any.

Reactions: ATLVols
Sure, we can break it down. Surprised it hasn't already been done.

Here's the image that caused folks in the stands to apparently lose their collective ship:

1634510796060.png

And if you knew nothing more, you might think that's the ball in his right hand, reaching across the 40-yard line for a first down.

But other angles clearly showed the ball was actually in his LEFT hand. Tucked down in his gut. Roughly on line with the red line I'll add here:

1634510887568.png

And that's where the refs spotted the ball, more or less. I mean, it doesn't matter if the ball was a half-yard short or a full yard short. Turnover on downs, either way.

Oh, and by the way, this screen capture is already a spllit-second late. When the player's right thigh touched the ground, his right arm hadn't yet gone forward. In other words, he was even further back than this. Not a lot, but enough.

I didn't find those other angles that showed the ball near his belly in his left hand. But they showed it clearly during the delay, a few times.

The refs made some bad calls in last night's game. This was not one of them.

Here's the image that caused folks in the stands to apparently lose their collective ship:

View attachment 403861

And if you knew nothing more, you might think that's the ball in his right hand, reaching across the 40-yard line for a first down.

But other angles clearly showed the ball was actually in his LEFT hand. Tucked down in his gut. Roughly on line with the red line I'll add here:

View attachment 403863

And that's where the refs spotted the ball, more or less. I mean, it doesn't matter if the ball was a half-yard short or a full yard short. Turnover on downs, either way.

Oh, and by the way, this screen capture is already a spllit-second late. When the player's right thigh touched the ground, his right arm hadn't yet gone forward. In other words, he was even further back than this. Not a lot, but enough.

I didn't find those other angles that showed the ball near his belly in his left hand. But they showed it clearly during the delay, a few times.

Now do one that shows where the ball would have been spotted if it was UGA or Bama.

View attachment 403861

View attachment 403863

Any pics of the other side?

Any pics of the other side?
I didn't find them with a quick search to answer OP's question, but the network showed the other angles last night. The best angle for seeing the ball wasn't totally from the other side. More like an angle from the end zone. Clearly showed the ball tucked into his gut, held there by his left arm.

View attachment 403861

View attachment 403863

It matters whether they spot it a half yard short or a full one. Yes, we still lose possession. However, one shows the ref doing his job properly and letting the chips fall where they may. The other indicates that, yet again tonight, the ref had intentionally cheated UT on the spot. Or is inept. Still maddening.

There is a difference. Stop saying their isn't.

It matters whether they spot it a half yard short or a full one. Yes, we still lose possession. However, one shows the ref doing his job properly and letting the chips fall where they may. The other indicates that, yet again tonight, the ref had intentionally cheated UT on the spot. Or is inept. Still maddening.

There is a difference. Stop saying their isn't.
The spot was right. As right as any human being can get it.

Look, the receiver's body was sliding forward even as he fell. He was down by contact because of his right thigh brushing the ground. Even as he was moving forward. When you call him down, when that thigh pad touches grass, that's very much a judgment call. And the person who can see that thigh can NOT see the ball, on the opposite side of his body. And vice-versa.

These refs aren't omnipotent. They do like you and I do, they just do the best they can. And the spot looked about as accurate as a human being can make it without x-ray vision.

So how about we stop crying about what we WANTED and accept what actually happened on this play? We didn't successfully convert to a first down. Period.

View attachment 403861

View attachment 403863

The yellow line isn’t accurate. The line to make was on the other side of the 40. It still wasn’t a first down but it was much closer than what you and the refs have chosen to run with.

The yellow line isn’t accurate. The line to make was on the other side of the 40. It still wasn’t a first down but it was much closer than what you and the refs have chosen to run with.
Nope, they ran out the chains a bit after this. And the chains stretched to just beyond the 40-yard line. A full yard beyond the spot, which was accurate based on extensive replay.

p.s. I don't recall mentioning the yellow line.

Nope, they ran out the chains a bit after this. And the chains stretched to just beyond the 40-yard line. A full yard beyond the spot, which was accurate based on extensive replay.

p.s. I don't recall mentioning the yellow line.

And in the Twitter pick the chains are outside the 40. So maybe the refs eff’d up stretching them as well.

P.S. But you did make up a red line

Correct or not, it was the final straw. The fans were upset about Ole' Miss players taunting the crowd, a Kiffenesque bending of conduct of the game with the flopping, favorable spots for Miss, the scoop score that wasn't. While I don't condone the actions of the student section, the Jumbotron view looked like Warren made the yardage, better execution on down 1thru 3 would have made it a non issue. The lid was ready to blow at that point. The officials called a much better game than the Pitt crew, but their calls were game altering. I am just glad LK is not the coach at UT, he and his players have zero class, Take the game for what it was, awesome. With more depth and time in the system UT's future is bright, they can have the Lane game, Al Davis warned us he was a cancer.

The forward progress strip sack scoop and score call was 1000x worse than this spot.
THIS!!!

If people want to lose their **** over a terrible call, that is the one. No whistle, Corral is the only one who stopped playing the down.

That was a touchdown and UT is owed an explanation for why the refs decided to huddle and call his forward progress stopped when that is NOT what they did while the play unfolded.

That was a touchdown and possibly the most horrendous blown call I have ever seen in 35+ years of watching football.

View attachment 403861

View attachment 403863

Impossible to tell where contact with the ground was made from this angle. The other angle seemed to show that he was floating a bit before making contact. We need to see both angles synchronously.

Look, the receiver's body was sliding forward even as he fell. He was down by contact because of his right thigh brushing the ground. Even as he was moving forward. When you call him down, when that thigh pad touches grass, that's very much a judgment call. And the person who can see that thigh can NOT see the ball, on the opposite side of his body. And vice-versa.

These refs aren't omnipotent. They do like you and I do, they just do the best they can. And the spot looked about as accurate as a human being can make it without x-ray vision.

So how about we stop crying about what we WANTED and accept what actually happened on this play? We didn't successfully convert to a first down. Period.
Riddle me this:
Last night, did these non-omnipotent refs miss any spots of Ole Miss and place the ball farther forward than should have been? How about short of where they fell? How many times each?

Now, how about the same questions with UT? How many times each?

If they're "just human," those numbers should all be similar. I challenge you to answer.

If you answer there was no difference, I challenge you to go get your eyes checked.

Riddle me this:
Last night, did these non-omnipotent refs miss any spots of Ole Miss and place the ball farther forward than should have been? How about short of where they fell? How many times each?

Now, how about the same questions with UT? How many times each?

If they're "just human," those numbers should all be similar. I challenge you to answer.

If you answer there was no difference, I challenge you to go get your eyes checked.
I'm not here to whine with you about how good or bad the officiating might have been throughout the game. Go find a friend to do that with.

I'm here to answer the OP's question about this one play. And the answer is, the refs made the right call. You can wish they got it wrong, I can wish they got it wrong, but on that play, they didn't. We didn't quite convert for a 1st down.

No it wasn't. And it wasn't the refs and the spot. Warren was headed to the turf before the defender made contact. He didn't fight for that first down. That one is on him IMO.
Don't blame Warren. He was fighting for the 1st down. Sometimes, you simply can't quite get there. Our lads played their hearts out for 60 minutes.

I agree it was short but go back and watch how they spotted us all night and then watch how they spotted Ole Miss. Numerous times an OM player was down and then fell forward and they gave them the spot of where they finally stopped moving rather than where they had actually been down. You can also see UT not once got one of these favorable spots.

Granted this was the only one that had a major impact but if they were giving them an extra 1/2-1 yard on 5 of a 10 play drive that could be the difference between 1st and goal at the 1 verse the 5

Reactions: RangerVol

VN Store

Back