Pick your poison qb room

1vol8

I found this interesting for a few different reasons. One of those reasons is it reminded me that for each style of qb there is a percentage of the fan base that takes to that particular style and what they consider “correct”. Another reason it’s intriguing is because we have one of each style on our roster right now. JG is the game manager and possibly best suited for a west coast offense. HB seems like he’d fall in the precision passer category with a mix of gunslinger because he certainly had his favorite targets and took his share of chances getting them the ball in hs. BM is definitely a gunslinger and accompanied by his running abilities make for exciting football. It’s hard to say where JH or KH fall because highlights only show you plays that worked out. Imo it’s the plays in between that render you effective or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

For some reason the article isn’t showing up on my end. My apologies if it’s showing up on yours.
if you can paste the link inside of code tags i can take a look at why it's not showing. For some reason the Bleacher Report embeds seem to be messed up.

if you can paste the link inside of code tags i can take a look at why it's not showing. For some reason the Bleacher Report embeds seem to be messed up.
David Portnoy > Freak

I just call it like I see it :p

I found this interesting for a few different reasons. One of those reasons is it reminded me that for each style of qb there is a percentage of the fan base that takes to that particular style and what they consider “correct”. Another reason it’s intriguing is that we have one of each style on our roster right now. JG is the game manager and possibly best suited for a west coast offense. HB seems like he’d fall in the precision passer category with a mix of gunslinger because he certainly had his favorite targets and took his share of chances getting them the ball in hs. BM is definitely a gunslinger and accompanied by his running abilities make for exciting football. It’s hard to say where JH or KH fall because highlights only show you play that worked out. IMO it’s the plays in between that render you effective or not.

I would not call it poison, it's actually an "option", College Football has evolved to a point that one style or option is not effective in all situations from the opponent. They make defensive adjustments to increase the odds of disrupting your QB. In the past, many "fans" felt that a QB needs to get into the rhythm of the game, but defensive coaches are designing their attack to eliminate that possibility. QBs today need to understand that it's not that they are not playing well, its the defensive scheme that is limiting their success. Enter Option B...........glunslinging, RPO running QB (Josh Dobbish) kind of QB, now, this disrupts the defensive scheme, different WRs, RBs and maybe OL geared toward attacking a defense that is built around a Pro-Style QB. Today's modern offense requires the flexibility to change just like defenses.

Go Vols!

QB style is determined by many factors but there are 2 that stand out to me.
1) The strength of your defense. If you defense can keep them from scoring at will a game manager might be enough. If the defense is unreliable the QB has to be more than a game manager.

2) The strength of the O-line. When you can win games running the ball and protect the QB on pass plays a game manager will do.

There is so much more to it than that, but those two factors are a good starting point.

I would not call it poison, it's actually an "option", College Football has evolved to a point that one style or option is not effective in all situations from the opponent. They make defensive adjustments to increase the odds of disrupting your QB. In the past, many "fans" felt that a QB needs to get into the rhythm of the game, but defensive coaches are designing their attack to eliminate that possibility. QBs today need to understand that it's not that they are not playing well, its the defensive scheme that is limiting their success. Enter Option B...........glunslinging, RPO running QB (Josh Dobbish) kind of QB, now, this disrupts the defensive scheme, different WRs, RBs and maybe OL geared toward attacking a defense that is built around a Pro-Style QB. Today's modern offense requires the flexibility to change just like defenses.

Go Vols!
I wish the article would load up for you guys to read. It would help better explain why I called it “poison”. I’ll be busy until later this afternoon but I’ll try and get it up via edit.

Reactions: FlyFishnVol
I
ll be busy until this evening and hopefully we can figure it out. I appreciate the help.

just having QB's you can rely could be big this season for every team

given Covid19 and continuous testing, what happens when your starting QB tests positive?

you will need multiple QB's just to be able to compete should a quarantine occur - and that goes for all position groups.

will that positive test actually be revealed (HIPAA) and the QB/player quarantined for 14 days as it should be? how does the athlete feel about this risk as well?

honestly, MY position is I understand this virus exists but I'm not bigly concerned about its' affects on healthy young folks and not sure it would be much worse than the flu in general

Well thanks a lot, now I'm going to be on pins and needles all day waiting to read this article. LOL
Lol. My bad man. I had bad reception where I was yesterday and my phone tends to act funny when that happens. Hopefully that’s the problem. If not I’ll post in bold later how to find it if Freak can’t fix it. I feel terrible that you guys can’t read it yet.

Lol. My bad man. I had bad reception where I was yesterday and my phone tends to act funny when that happens. Hopefully that’s the problem. If not I’ll post in bold later how to find it if Freak can’t fix it. I feel terrible that you guys can’t read it yet.

You're good bro.........i was just being funny. I do wanna read it though.

Reactions: 1vol8
Google search: different types of qbs
Article name: Qb types and their effect on wide receivers

Sorry for the confusion but this is the best I can do at the moment for those interested.

@Freak , is there anything you can do with this info to attach it to the thread?

iu

I found this interesting for a few different reasons. One of those reasons is it reminded me that for each style of qb there is a percentage of the fan base that takes to that particular style and what they consider “correct”. Another reason it’s intriguing is because we have one of each style on our roster right now. JG is the game manager and possibly best suited for a west coast offense. HB seems like he’d fall in the precision passer category with a mix of gunslinger because he certainly had his favorite targets and took his share of chances getting them the ball in hs. BM is definitely a gunslinger and accompanied by his running abilities make for exciting football. It’s hard to say where JH or KH fall because highlights only show you plays that worked out. Imo it’s the plays in between that render you effective or not.

I know this wont be popular, but I am totally fine with a 85% 4 yard and cloud of dust ground game that wins ball games 10-6, or 13-3.. Dont turn the ball over, control the clock, depend on strong special teams and a shut down defense. Whichever qb can execute that and not put team at risk I am cool. Just Win

VN Store

Back