Pick one.

Final 4 all day for me. And I am a bigger football fan. My reasoning is . . . UT has won a NC (multiple actually) in football. And teams who get to the playoff usually can get back. Barnes is a great coach . . . And has been to one final four and seemingly cannot get the breaks whether it be matchups or officiating to go back.

Final 4 in basketball...case in point is Purdue.
Look at the talent and teams that have come thru West Lafayette, both under Painter and Keady, and they haven't reached a Final Four in 44 years !!!!

The FF is such rarified air. It takes a lot more to get there and the "window" on a basketball program closes much, much faster than football where most players are around 3 or 4 years instead of 1 or 2.

You reach a FF and you keep that window open a little longer due to the exposure.

Neither means much to me at all. I don't really consider making a Final Four OR the College Football Playoff to mean much at all. I think the FF has been marketed for years as "making it" across sports media, because otherwise you have a lot more disaffected fans going into the off-season. By turning "making the Final Four" into an accomplishment, there's more to sell, more to hype, more to write, more to advertise against. It's just marketing. And it's kind of silly to me. You either win or you don't. No one cares who came in third. Or even second. It doesn't matter.

Same with the CFP. ESPN, ABC, all those guys, they market the "CFP" because it lets them target a much larger audience across multiple teams, which brings in more viewers. It's a gimmick. "Ooooh, you made the playoff." Big whoop. The CFP is a marketing vehicle for ads. Same as the FF.

Don't get me wrong, if this team had made it to the Final Four, I'd be ecstatic for them. It's be validating to be the first from Tennessee to get there, definitely, and I already think the world of this year's team and these seniors so I'd be happy for them! But at the end of the day, you either bring home the hardware or you don't. That's what matters.

Thus my answer is - I don't really care about either enough to pick one over the other.

Reactions: chuck0303
FInal Four, not even a question.

Love football but I've experienced a National Championship and in theory making the 12 and soon to be 14 team playoff will be easier than making a Final Four.

Reactions: connor
Final Four for me and it’s not even close. Vol basketball will always come before football for me.

Final Four for me just because the road to get there is a lot crazier in my opinion

Neither means much to me at all. I don't really consider making a Final Four OR the College Football Playoff to mean much at all. I think the FF has been marketed for years as "making it" across sports media, because otherwise you have a lot more disaffected fans going into the off-season. By turning "making the Final Four" into an accomplishment, there's more to sell, more to hype, more to write, more to advertise against. It's just marketing. And it's kind of silly to me. You either win or you don't. No one cares who came in third. Or even second. It doesn't matter.

Same with the CFP. ESPN, ABC, all those guys, they market the "CFP" because it lets them target a much larger audience across multiple teams, which brings in more viewers. It's a gimmick. "Ooooh, you made the playoff." Big whoop. The CFP is a marketing vehicle for ads. Same as the FF.

Don't get me wrong, if this team had made it to the Final Four, I'd be ecstatic for them. It's be validating to be the first from Tennessee to get there, definitely, and I already think the world of this year's team and these seniors so I'd be happy for them! But at the end of the day, you either bring home the hardware or you don't. That's what matters.

Thus my answer is - I don't really care about either enough to pick one over the other.
I would’ve been disappointed with a loss in the final four or college football playoffs. Ad the end of the day, it’s about winning the final game though we should enjoy the journey.

As long as we have competitive teams to watch like we do now in both sports, I'll be happy with either one, but don't base everything on what the final result is. I want championships as much as anyone, but to have had a group like this one to watch all season was a joy, Final Four or not. Just give me fun, competitive, and easy teams to root for, and I'll accept the results.

VN Store

Back