Phrases/Cliches that annoy you.

This one is the worst for me. When I was going through a rough divorce, I heard this countless times. I understand that they were trying to be supportive but it just made me feel worse.
I have always felt that it was offered by people that could not think of anything constructive to say.

Probably the most meaningless phrase IMO.

Originally Posted by VolFaninFla View Post
"everything happens for a reason"

Yep. I heard it a lot after my divorce too. Worse than that was after the sudden death of my mother from menengitis when she was 56 (I was 23). Add to the list: "I guess God needed another angel". Yeah, get outta here with that crap.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Yep. I heard it a lot after my divorce too. Worse than that was after the sudden death of my mother from menengitis when she was 56 (I was 23). Add to the list: "I guess God needed another angel". Yeah, get outta here with that crap.

Agree, that one is terrible.
I went to a funeral where a child had died. I woman walked up to the mother and said "at least heaven has another little angel"
People got the woman out before the mother had a chance to inflict some serious damage.

Quote:
This one is the worst for me. When I was going through a rough divorce, I heard this countless times. I understand that they were trying to be supportive but it just made me feel worse.
I have always felt that it was offered by people that could not think of anything constructive to say.

Probably the most meaningless phrase IMO.

"everything happens for a reason"

Hate to say it, maybe it's the cynic in me, but "thoughts and prayers" annoys me. It seems trite

I agree. Be honest: How many people are actually thinking about and/or praying for that person? And what good has "thoughts" ever had on someone else's life?

Usually don't have any. Because if I know what the person means, there's zero reason to get annoyed by it.

Last edited:
You're no fun!!!:)

Lol. I guess not. Just never got annoyed or triggered by many. I guess I'm too accepting. But. I've thought of a couple. I'm a southern myself, and I take pride in the beautiful East TN area, but I hate "Taters" and "Maters". I have to admit it.

Lol. I guess not. Just never got annoyed or triggered by many. I guess I'm too accepting. But. I've thought of a couple. I'm a southern myself, and I take pride in the beautiful East TN area, but I hate "Taters" and "Maters". I have to admit it.
I knew you would come around!
BTW-what is Maters?

Quote:
You're no fun!!!

No one is saying these things ruin their life.

Speaking of "triggered", that's one that tells me you're a snowflake pansy with thin skin. Throw in "microaggression".

On the same note it drives me crazy when people use "you know" multiple times in a sentence.

I was a big offender of this until a professor in college told me, in the nicest possible way, that I used the phrase "you know" something like 40 times in a 5 minute presentation. I most likely began every other sentence with it and was horrified at how bad/annoying it must have sounded.

Ever since then, I've been hyper-aware of my own speech and notice habits in the speech of others more than most people seem to.

I was a big offender of this until a professor in college told me, in the nicest possible way, that I used the phrase "you know" something like 40 times in a 5 minute presentation. I most likely began every other sentence with it and was horrified at how bad/annoying it must have sounded.

Ever since then, I've been hyper-aware of my own speech and notice habits in the speech of others more than most people seem to.

I'm with ya man. I was socially awkward growing up so I used that as a crutch. I still catch myself doing it occasionally during conversation.

VN Store

Back