Photography Discussion

The 5DIII's autofocus is excellent. In daylight, it will hold its own against the 1DX or the 7DII, and in low-light, it's not too far behind. The AF system is extensive though and requires a bit of reading to understand.

For now, I would just understand the basics, like AI SERVO vs. ONE SHOT, Single point vs. spot vs. 4/8 point expansion vs. zone. I would also configure the shutter and AF-ON buttons to your liking. I use back-button focus no matter the type of photography I'm doing, so all the cameras I use are configured that way. It's really personal preference though.
I'm definitely going to switch to back button focus. I read up on the 61 point autofocus its no joke. I've been playing with the shooting modes this weekend, and although I have a basic understanding of aperture and ISO, I still have no idea what situations require for the best possible photos. Its my first weekend shooting though.

It will do better than hold its own.

P.S.-I learned photography on the K1000 and the analog Canon Elan. I had the K1000 which was fully manual then bought the Elan. That was hell trying to learn on because the images I shot on the K1000 were incredible but with the Elan you are trying to use some of the auto functions on it. Finally, I just went to full manual on the Elan and started using a light meter and started getting great shots with it. Right at about that point DSLR came into existence. Also, I had an Olympus OM-2 I think it was and couldn't take a bad shot with it but it was stolen.

Sandvol, thank you for bombing this thread with a ton of useful and interesting thoughts and ideas. I will def look into the book you posted. Just curious, but what are your other hobbies that you mentioned?

Sandvol, thank you for bombing this thread with a ton of useful and interesting thoughts and ideas. I will def look into the book you posted. Just curious, but what are your other hobbies that you mentioned?

Golf and my son does competitive shooting. Very expensive. (Oh, also I've spent a lot on high fidelity audio equipment through the years. My speaker cables are usually more expensive than most people's whole systems.)

Last edited:
Golf and my son does competitive shooting. Very expensive. (Oh, also I've spent a lot on high fidelity audio equipment through the years. My speaker cables are usually more expensive than most people's whole systems.)

Yeah, you definitely don't pick cheap hobbies.

It will do better than hold its own.

Huh? I said it holds its own against the flagship camera (1DX) in daylight. The AF on the 5DIII is NOT better than the 1DX. Canon is smart when it comes to selling cameras. They're not going to give the 5D series the same overall speed and low-light performance of the 1D series.

That being said, the 5DIII is a fantastic body and really is all anybody needs unless they are a hardcore sports/wildlife shooter or photojournalist.

I shot with the 70-200mm this weekend, having no idea what I was doing. I got some great shots but I snapped off about 10 photos of a family of geese's swimming in line and although I focused them in the viewfinder, the camera focused on shrubbery about 10 yards behind and above them. NO idea what that was about.

Which focus selection mode were you in? Zone, point, expansion, etc?

Which camera do you have? You can pick which little square it focuses on. When you're pushing the shutter release button half way down you should see the square that it is focusing on light up. Oops wait. Meant this for OP-sorry.

Last edited:
Huh? I said it holds its own against the flagship camera (1DX) in daylight. The AF on the 5DIII is NOT better than the 1DX. Canon is smart when it comes to selling cameras. They're not going to give the 5D series the same overall speed and low-light performance of the 1D series.

That being said, the 5DIII is a fantastic body and really is all anybody needs unless they are a hardcore sports/wildlife shooter or photojournalist.

Just don't see twice as much value in that camera. There are a lot of photojournalists with that 5Diii.

Just don't see twice as much value in that camera. There are a lot of photojournalists with that 5Diii.

Like I said, it's for people that need top of the line low-light performance, overall speed, and durability. To them (people like me) a 1DX is absolutely worth it. If there wasn't a need and a market for that camera, then it wouldn't exist.

I rack up 10's of thousands of actuations a year on 1DX's, 5dIII's, and 7DII's so I know their advantages/disadvantages pretty well. If I'm doing anything that involves shooting in really bad/low light, I'm grabbing a 1DX every time.

hope this question finds an answer

what photo software do you use to organize your photos on a laptop, currently, I just have a bunch of folders with dates, of different photos, and I'd like to get them all in one place, so I could go thru them with having to go in and out of folders..

TIA

I'm thinking about picking up the D7200. Ive previously had a d5100 & d5200. Wanted to make the jump. All the reviews are positive. Anybody have one or used one??

I pulled the trigger on the D7200. Its pretty sweet. A lot more responsive than my 5200. I have already got some sweet shots.

091315_189.jpg
Here is a pic from the Michigan vs Oregon St couple weeks ago. I was sitting in row 36.

Heading to Niagra Falls this weekend.

VN Store

Back