Phillip Fulmer Hired as Special Advisor to the President

All that suspense and no ending :(

I feel like I just sat through a M.Knight Shyamalan movie.

I backed off just to give him some breathing room. For a minute there he had 5 of us responding to him. Lol.

I backed off just to give him some breathing room. For a minute there he had 5 of us responding to him. Lol.

True.
"We" were.
I mean me were.

Seriously, I think he was saying it would be like having a job rival hanging around giving the wrong impression.

1. Just not the case.
2. I believe and hope Jones is more secure than that.

True.
"We" were.
I mean me were.

Seriously, I think he was saying it would be like having a job rival hanging around giving the wrong impression.

1. Just not the case.

This is pretty close to my point. I don't want to debate it anymore. No program has former coaches, who were dismissed for performance issues, hanging around at practices or involved in daily operations of the program. It's extremely inappropriate and unprofessional.

This is all moot. He won't be hanging around at practices or daily activities. That's not in his job description.

This is pretty close to my point. I don't want to debate it anymore. No program has former coaches, who were dismissed for performance issues, hanging around at practices or involved in daily operations of the program. It's extremely inappropriate and unprofessional.

This is all moot. He won't be hanging around at practices or daily activities. That's not in his job description.

I'd say he will see some live but I'd guess it will be by invitation. Jones has shown zero intimidation being surrounded by former head coaches. The opposite I would say.

Reactions: 2 people
True.
"We" were.
I mean me were.

1. Just not the case.

CBJ has hired too many guys with HC experience to be insecure. "We?" have 4 or 5 on staff that have either been a HC or interim. He has set the program up to let him go mid season if things go wrong and have choices on who could take over.

Reactions: 1 person
At this point, Phil Fulmer is so far beyond "ex-coach" that none of the standard rules of coaching etiquette apply.

The closest thing to 'ex-coach' you could lay on him now would be something like "coach emeritus." An eminence grise kind of relationship to the program. But really, not even that. The "ambassador" title truly does fit best.

He's fine on the sideline, at practices, during games. Absolutely no one, most especially neither him nor Butch, would feel any job friction there. Phil's well beyond all that.

Reactions: 1 person
At this point, Phil Fulmer is so far beyond "ex-coach" that none of the standard rules of coaching etiquette apply.

The closest thing to 'ex-coach' you could lay on him now would be something like "coach emeritus." An eminence grise kind of relationship to the program. But really, not even that. The "ambassador" title truly does fit best.

He's fine on the sideline, at practices, during games. Absolutely no one, most especially neither him nor Butch, would feel any job friction there. Phil's well beyond all that.

Next time we cross paths I'm still calling him coach.

I doubt Phil will have anything to do with coaching. And I don't expect any public statements stepping on the AD. I expect him to be tracking the boosters, shaking hands and collecting checks. He will be available to those that may not want to speak openly with our new AD. And I don't mean this in a bad way. Phil is a good politician and can help sell the programs special projects.

SIAP:

https://allfortennessee.com/2017/06/29/tennessee-football-vols-never-fired-phillip-fulmer/amp/

Found this to be quite plausable. In the end, we'd still be where we are right now but with a different coach.

One thing the article failed to point out was we started TWO very undersized walk ons on the OL in 2009 in the Sullin twins and a walk on at middle linebacker in Nick Reveiz. Would that have happened if Fulmer was still coaching that team? It would either be yes or we're starting a LOT of youth in those positions but hypothetically let's say yes. Then how do you think a true freshman QB would fare in the "Clawfense" with undersized and under talented walk ons blocking for him? It would have probably been disastrous.

Despite how fans feel about Kiffin, they need to give him his due in terms of the job he did in 09. Going 7-5 in the SEC with that team and the job he did with managing Crompton at QB was pretty miraculous considering how depleted we were. I don't think we are 7-5 in 09 if Fulmer is still there. I think it would've been another 5-7 year and we would've lost to Georgia and South Carolina again.

Last edited:
Does this mean we'll finally see the Power-I formation? Natty soon to follow.

We were put on probation for his “coaching” the O’line.

DiPietro, another dumba $$ on The Hill.

Ended up embarrassing us terribly with that Davenport deal!

Fulmer is going to be out there working like heck

And look where that got us.

I think it's more of a "watch over Currie" position.

Prophetic!

I started reading the first few post if this thread without reading the quote in the first thread and was thinking what the bleep are people saying congrats and happy about, then I looked at the date:D

Whew

Currie looks a lot different in retrospect. Schiano was Haslam’s hand picked guy. The guy Currie went and got on his own when that blew up was better than anyone Tennessee has hired since Fulmer. People can argue Kiffin this and Kiffin that but Leach has a better resume. Currie was fired for two reasons he went with Haslam’s guy then went out and tried to land his own. It’s like a cartoon of who can run the program into the ground more between Fulmer and haslam.

I would really like to know the details as to how Fulmer weaseled his way back in.

In my opinion it was his ego that destroyed this program. He knew he was not qualified to be AD but had to use old politics to divide and destroy the program. I also consider Fan Ran Radio in Knoxville as part of the coop that helped Fulmer regain power in the program. They are what I consider as children in the media.

VN Store

Back