SEC East
  1. Georgia
  2. Florida
  3. Kentucky
  4. Missouri
  5. South Carolina
  6. Tennessee
  7. Vanderbilt
Historically Phil has not been biased against us.

That's about the only argument I see.

I could see Kentucky and Missouri flipping as well before the end of the season. I just don't see anything about Kentucky's roster that makes me think they will get through the gauntlet of SEC games in the middle of their schedule, without 'Kentuckying' multiple games. They are going to most likely come off of a win over South Carolina on 9/25, and then lose three consecutive games before playing Mississippi State, and then us, one of those games they will also lose.

Hopefully we've gotten it somewhat together by that point and it's us that they lose to after finding some false sense of redemption with a win over Leach..

VOLSGRAD89

SEC West
  1. Texas A&M
  2. Alabama
  3. LSU
  4. Ole Miss
  5. Arkansas
  6. Mississippi State
  7. Auburn
SEC East
  1. Georgia
  2. Florida
  3. Tennessee
  4. Missouri
  5. Kentucky
  6. South Carolina
  7. Vanderbilt
Yes, I am hopeful and wearing ORANGE COLORED glasses. What is everyone else's predictions? UT's D is going to struggle this year. But,
I really think UT will score enough points to be a minimum of 4th in the SEC East!

VOLSGRAD89

SEC West
  1. Texas A&M
  2. Alabama
  3. LSU
  4. Ole Miss
  5. Arkansas
  6. Mississippi State
  7. Auburn
SEC East
  1. Georgia
  2. Florida
  3. Tennessee
  4. Missouri
  5. Kentucky
  6. South Carolina
  7. Vanderbilt
Yes, I am hopeful and wearing ORANGE COLORED glasses. What is everyone else's predictions? UT's D is going to struggle this year. But,
I really think UT will score enough points to be a minimum of 4th in the SEC East!
Athlon and Lindy's had us 5th in the East, ahead of the Cocks.

VOLSGRAD89

SEC West
  1. Texas A&M
  2. Alabama
  3. LSU
  4. Ole Miss
  5. Arkansas
  6. Mississippi State
  7. Auburn
SEC East
  1. Georgia
  2. Florida
  3. Tennessee
  4. Missouri
  5. Kentucky
  6. South Carolina
  7. Vanderbilt
I'm with you I think we're 3rd in the east. We beat Missouri and SC last year as it is and this year JG won't be around to spot kentucky 3 scores. I think UF is going to be 1 and Georgia 2 though

VOLSGRAD89

SEC West
  1. Texas A&M
  2. Alabama
  3. LSU
  4. Ole Miss
  5. Arkansas
  6. Mississippi State
  7. Auburn
SEC East
  1. Georgia
  2. Florida
  3. Tennessee
  4. Missouri
  5. Kentucky
  6. South Carolina
  7. Vanderbilt

Respect your optimism, but I just don't see it. No other SEC team has been as negatively effected by the transfer portal, the loss of key players in our last recruiting class, plus a new system for the players. I wouldn't be surprised to see us dead last, unfortunately.

Reactions: turdherder11
We should pay Steele for that piece. I’d much rather see us start off at the bottom and end on top. IMO this takes some of the heat off the team and gives them plenty of motivation. Go Vols!

PHIL STEELE
SEC West

1. Alabama
  2. Texas A&M
  3. LSU
  4. Ole Miss
  5. Auburn
  6. Mississippi State
  7. Arkansas
SEC East
  1. Georgia
  2. Florida
  3. Kentucky
  4. Missouri
  5. South Carolina
  6. Tennessee
  7. Vanderbilt
He also hasn't been accurate down the list. The top 2 or 3 are usually pretty easy.

These things are always biased by the previous season or couple of seasons. How new coaches factor in is seldom accurately predicted.

FWIW, I will have to see UK "reload" with my own eyes before believing they can lose 10 players to the NFL and not drop like a rock.

I'll also have to see USCe with a worse roster than UT has finish better than UT.

I think he has UT two spots too low... we will see.

Respect your optimism, but I just don't see it. No other SEC team has been as negatively effected by the transfer portal, the loss of key players in our last recruiting class, plus a new system for the players. I wouldn't be surprised to see us dead last, unfortunately.
You don't play with what you lost. You play with what you have. UT should have been top 2 or 3 at worst last year. This year's roster should be middling at worst. If what you say comes true then it will be coaching, not the roster.

I agree. This past season/off-season will haunt UT for years. I haven't kept up with everything, this is the least excited I've been for UT football in 30 years, but turning in former coaches to the ncaa and allowing them to investigate can only lead to the hammer. Not to mention negative recruiting while the ncaa takes its time. I'm afraid its going to take time and a top notch HC to turn this suicidal program around.....so yeah I see us finishing dead last.

You don't play with what you lost. You play with what you have. UT should have been top 2 or 3 at worst last year. This year's roster should be middling at worst. If what you say comes true then it will be coaching, not the roster.
I’m curious how the staff will handle a completely different roster that was built for slow, grind it out football.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I'm with you I think we're 3rd in the east. We beat Missouri and SC last year as it is and this year JG won't be around to spot kentucky 3 scores. I think UF is going to be 1 and Georgia 2 though
Georgia is going to murder Florida this year. Florida is ranked 27 overall by Steele, they lost alot too, people don't realize, you've been psyched out by Jaws' nonsense. UGA will lose to Bama in the SEC championship game (again).

Last edited:
The rankings will end up being what they are. The Vols out of division opponents are tough: Bama and Ole Miss. But that compares pretty equally with KY (LSU and Miss State), and SC (TAMU and Auburn). If UT can pick off KY and or SC, and win the ones they "should" win, they will have a pretty good season, all things considered. I am keeping my expectations low.

He also hasn't been accurate down the list. The top 2 or 3 are usually pretty easy.

These things are always biased by the previous season or couple of seasons. How new coaches factor in is seldom accurately predicted.

FWIW, I will have to see UK "reload" with my own eyes before believing they can lose 10 players to the NFL and not drop like a rock.

I'll also have to see USCe with a worse roster than UT has finish better than UT.

I think he has UT two spots too low... we will see.
I feel like 3-7 could come back in nearly any order. Very little separates those teams. Like I said above, I don't really quibble with UK or Mizz being ranked ahead of us, but I think Steele has the UT-USCe order backwards. Kentucky is better than most of our fans give them credit for, they've had a decade of stability, good coaching and development. They aren't top tier but they are solidly mid tier in the conference right now. They aren't Fulmer era Kentucky anymore, they are tough on the lines of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. They take guys who are projects and coach them up and by year 4 or 5 are legit SEC linemen. Heupel appears to be looking to do the same with alot of our line prospects, and add in a blue chipper like Addison Nichols where we can.

Reactions: Bret178
PHIL STEELE
SEC West

1. Alabama
  2. Texas A&M
  3. LSU
  4. Ole Miss
  5. Auburn
  6. Mississippi State
  7. Arkansas
SEC East
  1. Georgia
  2. Florida
  3. Kentucky
  4. Missouri
  5. South Carolina
  6. Tennessee
  7. Vanderbilt

Kentucky and Mizzou both have very workable schedules. Mizzou wastes their bye week on Vandy but has tough games spread out. Mizzou lost Bolton at LB and a few other stars but found a QB.

KY has FL, LSU and GA back to back. KY has an edge in the trenches but other than C-Rod, they don't have a ton of talent at the ball handling positions. Also KY lost their 6 best players on Defense including Bohana, and their steller CBs. They don't reload like bama and GA, so they will have their struggles.

Tennessee can finish as high as 3rd but I don't think 6th is the cellar for them, I think it is 5th.

SCAR: Beamer and his new OC have never called plays before. Their horrible defense isn't going to be resurrected overnight either.

Georgia is going to murder Florida this year. Florida is ranked 27 overall by Steele, they lost alot too, people don't realize, you've been psyched out by Jaws' nonsense. UGA will lose to Bama in the SEC championship game (again).
I disagree I know Florida lost a lot but I think Georgia is going to field another weak offense not much better than last year's. Florida's will be better than theirs

VN Store

Back