Phil Steele Top 40

Remember when we would have been ecstatic with #19? Like, last year?

We're on a forum where a concerning number of fans thought we'd beat Florida, Georgia and Alabama(and etc) throughout Derek Dooley and Jeremy Pruitt seasons.

If they can't manage to evaluate the team's true standing then, seeing some of those same people believe it's unimaginable we'd finish as "low as" 19 coming off losing a heisman caliber QB and are likely to fall off a bit at offensive line makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: jackaro
We're on a forum where a concerning number of fans thought we'd beat Florida, Georgia and Alabama(and etc) throughout Derek Dooley and Jeremy Pruitt seasons.

If they can't manage to evaluate the team's true standing then, seeing some of those same people believe it's unimaginable we'd finish as "low as" 19 coming off losing a heisman caliber QB and are likely to fall off a bit at offensive line makes a lot of sense.

Don’t get me wrong, I am as optimistic as anyone. But I completely understand why (the reasons you mention) some might not predict UT in the top 10. And it’s not because they “hate” Tennessee. It’s just a prediction.

True. Ewers is so inconsistent though and I saw games last year where he played well and they still lost as the D was porous. Granted, the Big 12 had some good offensive teams last year. Also, Texas lost Bijan Robinson since he is now a member of the Falcons and I’m excited to see what he does since I’m a Falcons fan. I will say the Big 12 seems ripe for the taking though and they certainly have a shot at Bama without Young to bail them out. I hope Bama beats them though. I want Bama unblemished at home when we roll in there and whip them!

I did like your note about Duke though (I think that was you). I do think they’ll upset Clemson.

I think it all hinges on Ewers, and even though they lost B Robinson, they have some very good receivers. I don’t know if their D will hold up, but I think they can be a dangerous team. Your Falcons definitely have an exciting player now w/ Bijan.

I don’t know if I think Duke will upset Clemson on Labor Day night or not, but I think Duke is a much better football team under Mike Elko than they were under Cut the previous 3 years. Duke actually looked like a competent squad last year. I think Clemson is at -12.5 . I wouldn’t be surprised to see Duke cover .

Reactions: hUTch2002
Milton has a lot of doubters. Oline is a question mark. Secondary was just awful last year. So I get it. Different year, different team.

OLine is a huge change. When healthy we was probably the best in the country last year on the line.

Teams should not be rewarded for playing a crappy schedule. Clemson looked ok last year until they hit the SEC portion.

Clemson will be improved over last year (QB was talented but green) but their schedule won't get them into the playoffs. They will need to go 11-1 losing to just 1 of the 3 top 25 teams they play; FSU, Miami, or ND.

Last edited:
Very easy schedule for the badgers this upcoming season. I want to know what is up with Iowa being in the top 20? They were absolute garbage last year. Notre Dame and Texas will most likely disappoint again too.
Ferentz has swings like that. Like the year after we beat them in a bowl game, i think we were both 7-6 or so, they went 12-0 and would have gone to CFP except for losing the conference title.

he is the most consistently inconsistent coach out there.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
this ranking doesn't make sense. In his interview with local media, he was talking about us like a playoff contender. I guess he was just trying to sell magazines.

I wonder(doupt) if this hurts recruiting, but it doesn't help. And Mt biggest thing is where does all the love for LSU come from? Is my memory failed or did we curb stomp them in Baton Rouge?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Honestly, given how our defense played last year, I wouldn't put us higher than 15 at this point.

I was encouraged by improvement in the last two games, and I keep hearing how this is the most Depth Banks has had, but sounding a note of caution as I am not confident Milton can paper over our defensive weakness as well as Hooker did

this ranking doesn't make sense. In his interview with local media, he was talking about us like a playoff contender. I guess he was just trying to sell magazines.

That is why I copied and pasted the rankings. I did not want him to get the clicks. He screws us over then I will screw him over.

We will have a lot of growing pains with the OL I think. Very difficult to replace that efficiency.

I guessed 18th w 14th being the max. I think Phil is generally fair in his preseason assessments. 19th is spot on.

I like Phil Steele, I really do. I think he knows his stuff and generally has been favorable to Tennessee. But he just released his top pre-season 40 and I have a bone to pick:

1. Georgia
2. Clemson
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Ohio State
6. Penn State
7. USC
8. Florida State
9. LSU
10. Notre Dame
11. Texas
12. Texas A&M
13. Wisconsin
14. Washington
15. Oregon
16. Utah
17. Iowa
18. Oregon State
19. Tennessee
20. Oklahoma
21. North Carolina
22. Toledo
23. Pittsburgh
24. UTSA
25. TCU
26. Ole Miss
27. South Alabama
28. UCLA
29. Kansas State
30. Miami
31. South Carolina
32. SMU
33. Boise State
34. Tulane
35. Kentucky
36. Air Force
37. NC State
38. Illinois
39. Texas Tech
40. Maryland

OK, I will give him the benefit of the doubt on putting LSU over us in the SEC. We play both Bama and UGA whereas LSU only plays Bama. But to put A&M above us is a slap in the face. And, honestly, to put us all the way down to #19 shows Heupel still is not getting the respect he deserves. Again, I like Steele and he probably has some statistic like Milton's lifetime completion percentage or some crap like that to justify us but I sincerely think we are a top ten team.

#18 is about where 9-3 teams finish.
If we had Michigan's or Ohio State's schedule, we'd be ranked Top5.

Reactions: HooahVol
I agree w/ you. I posted something later in the thread basically saying the same thing. Their schedule is pretty easy. Like you said Pullman is never easy to go and get a win, but the rest of it lines up pretty well outside of OSU.
Yeah I saw that after I replied. Sorry for the redundancy redundancy :)

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
A&M has been higher in the recruiting rankings the last 4-5 years. One would assume they have better talent, at least many who are counting wins and loses are. It doesn't bother me at all that that is happening. We do have a few holes to fill from last year's roster. QB play is essential and that depends on a number of thing. How good will our Oline be? How good will our WRs be? Will the defense be good enough to get the offense back on the field without giving up scores? And of course, will Milton be good enough to lead the offense to average 48 points a game? So, there are a lot of questions and they will not be answered until next November is over. I think we will be 10-2 or 9-3 and will be happy with either.
I think recruiting rankings should be taken with a grain of salt in this era. Honestly you're lucky to graduate 50% of your original class. It no longer takes 4-5 years to flip a program you can do it in a year or 2. Basically the portal is a game changer so previous classes shouldn't play a big role in this. Yeah we got some questions and we're not perfect but we also got to see a glimpse of this year's team in the Orange Bowl. We looked like a top 10 team and a bunch of the guys from that game are still here.

Reactions: HooahVol
I think recruiting rankings should be taken with a grain of salt in this era. Honestly you're lucky to graduate 50% of your original class. It no longer takes 4-5 years to flip a program you can do it in a year or 2. Basically the portal is a game changer so previous classes shouldn't play a big role in this. Yeah we got some questions and we're not perfect but we also got to see a glimpse of this year's team in the Orange Bowl. We looked like a top 10 team and a bunch of the guys from that game are still here.

Yep. you can look at it like in Baseball in Appalachian league. Since they changed it to from Pro to Graduating HS and College players. So basically a whole team of quasi portal guys. Its a guess who will dominate they all get decent players off of College teams but certain teams have chemistry and great coaching and standout. A team that was last the year before with new coach and players they dominate this year.

This is an excellent point. Honestly, which is better, an 18 year old with potential to be great who has to be trained up or a transfer has already proven they can cut it at the next level? Personally, I am much happier, for example, with BYU Defensive Captain Keenan Pili who had 62 tackles, five tackles-for-loss, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery for BYU in 2022 in our backfield next season than a 19 year old kid who might be great by the end of the season.

Reactions: 901 Orange
I wonder(doupt) if this hurts recruiting, but it doesn't help. And Mt biggest thing is where does all the love for LSU come from? Is my memory failed or did we curb stomp them in Baton Rouge?
I agree. We beat their butts. Their Qb is not bad, but not "all that" as a passer. They have one established receiver. They don't have squat at rb. Their OL was bad last year and may be some improved, but still more questionable than ours. Their db unit is a hodgepodge. They open with road game vs. FSU, and play at Miss. State, at Ole Miss, at Bama. I do hope they beat Florida. We shall see.

Edit: FWIW, I see that LSU opened as a 1.5 pt fav over FSU, after losing close one to them last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: swampfoxfan

VN Store

Back