Phil Steele has Tennessee ranked #10

"It was a shocker in Neyland today as an unranked UF team pulled off a convincing 24-7 victory over the 8th ranked Vols. Many attribute the loss to the Vols not taking advantage of the passing opportunities the Gators provided. On many plays UF kept all 11 defenders in the box to stop the run, letting WR's run uncovered downfield. Dobbs was unable to connect with any of these players with passes going either behind them or just out of their reach. Dobbs was able to complete a few short passes but UF was able to sniff out 2 screen passes and returned them for TDs."
Kill me now

nightmare scenario! kill me now too!!!

I expect 10 wins and we better beat Florida this year. Bama will still be tough, but if bounces go our way, we have a better opportunity to do it this year than we have in over 10 years.

When we step on the field with them this year, we will have equal talent and we TENNESSEE will expect to win.:rock: The big if word' but if we can throw the ball down field there is no reason we don't go 11 and 1.

Last edited:
First time in forever that I expect us to beat Bama and will be shocked if we lose.

Hard fought losses were last year. Decisive wins should be the theme for 2016.

Then remind me again, which 2 losses you "expect" in 2016, and why do you expect us to deviate from the theme on these 2 games?

Because, I'm saying the FL and AL losses of last year were hard-fought, but a few mistakes were made (or, a great D-play from AL was made) in the waning minutes (and I don't fault the players for these losses, nor do I fault the coaches on the AL loss; OK, still a bit young/ non-seasoned players).

When we step on the field with them this year, we will have equal talent and we TENNESSEE will expect to win.:rock: The big if word' but if we can throw the ball down field there is no reason we don't go 11 and 1.

Top to bottom, we do not equal the talent of bama. We have, however, greatly reduced that talent gap.

For the first time in over a decade, I can say that I expect 10 wins. And if we lose to Florida at home this year then may God have mercy on Butch's soul.
Butch should give the pre-game rah rah speech, and stay in the dressing room. Let the players he and his staffs have assembled take care of business, then give the winning post game presser. Our best path to victory.

Reactions: 4 people
Sound in game coaching is still yet to be seen against the big boys with this coach. Talent wise we are top 10 team this season. In game coaching still needs improvement

Yeah in game coaching certainly lost the Alabama game for us last year. It had nothing to do with them being the better team and the players making big time plays when it counted.

It was definitely coaching that caused Florida to convert 5 4th downs. The last one being the game winner where the coaches missed tackles and blew coverages.

This argument about sound in game coaching is one of the dumbest things on VN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Butch should give the pre-game rah rah speech, and stay in the dressing room. Let the players he and his staffs have assembled take care of business, then give the winning post game presser. Our best path to victory.

Hopefully you forgot the blue font. Otherwise, this could be the dumbest post in the history of VN.

Reactions: 2 people
Hopefully you forgot the blue font. Otherwise, this could be the dumbest post in the history of VN.

Why would he need blue font? Butch has lost 4-5 games with his coaching decisions since he has been here. And please tell me again what Butch's record is against Florida.

Butch is great off the field in developing this program and recruiting but he is in the process of learning on the job in the SEC when it comes to game management. To state otherwise is completely ignorant.

Reactions: 5 people
Why would he need blue font? Butch has lost 4-5 games with his coaching decisions since he has been here. And please tell me again what Butch's record is against Florida.

Butch is great off the field in developing this program and recruiting but he is in the process of learning on the job in the SEC when it comes to game management. To state otherwise is completely ignorant.
Big Orange Train's post proves he or she knows two things about UT football and football in general, zero and nothing.

Sound in game coaching is still yet to be seen against the big boys with this coach. Talent wise we are top 10 team this season. In game coaching still needs improvement

Hey jbr82, what is your favorite color?

jbr82: Our coaches are terrible in game. We need to see improvement from them this year.

Yeah in game coaching certainly lost the Alabama game for us last year. It had nothing to do with them being the better team and the players making big time plays when it counted.

It was definitely coaching that caused Florida to convert 5 4th downs. The last one being the game winner where the coaches missed tackles and blew coverages.

This argument about sound in game coaching is one of the dumbest things on VN.

The whole 2nd half of OK game.

Kickin fg on half inch line at home

Letting up the steam

Rushing 3 on 4th and half mile

Unnecessary timeouts

Not taking advantage of wide open middle of field

Not going for 2 at FL

Rotating wrs like hockey players

To name a few off top my head. I don't care if you agree or not.
Talent didnt lose those games

Reactions: 3 people
"It was a shocker in Neyland today as an unranked UF team pulled off a convincing 24-7 victory over the 8th ranked Vols. Many attribute the loss to the Vols not taking advantage of the passing opportunities the Gators provided. On many plays UF kept all 11 defenders in the box to stop the run, letting WR's run uncovered downfield. Dobbs was unable to connect with any of these players with passes going either behind them or just out of their reach. Dobbs was able to complete a few short passes but UF was able to sniff out 2 screen passes and returned them for TDs."
Kill me now
Ummm. Please don't die '08. Fact is: UT's achilles heel was the victim of UF's greatest strength, which was their pass rushing/covering capabilities; actually one of the nation's best versus UT's pass blocking abilities at that early stage of the season. Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised after Mister Dobbs...with a winter, spring and summer of intense focus on his accuracy blemishes, plus more confidence in his timing and judgment at trigger-pulling time due to far more time and space in the pocket due to an exponentially better O-line...then last year's faux pas' in that phase of the game will be a distant memory. Those who're questioning Butch's capabilities, including his own abilities at climbing the learning curve and his more capable coaching additions, will have to shut their negative mouths after this year. AMIRIGHT?:rock:

Last edited:
Ummm. Please don't die '08. Fact is: UT's achilles heel was the victim of UF's greatest strength, which was their pass rushing/covering capabilities; actually one of the nation's best versus UT's pass blocking abilities at that early stage of the season. Hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised after Mister Dobbs...with a winter, spring and summer of intense focus on his accuracy blemishes, plus more confidence in his timing and judgment at trigger-pulling time due to far more time and space in the pocket due to an exponentially better O-line...then last year's faux pas' in that phase of the game will be a distant memory. Those who're questioning Butch's capabilities, including his own abilities at climbing the learning curve and his more capable coaching additions, are going to shut a lot of negative mouths this year. AMIRIGHT?:rock:
I hope you're right about CBJ. Not only this season but the next seasons. He and debord still have to prove it. When I see it I will believe

Reactions: 1 person
It's very likely that we are undefeated going into Florida week. Hard to say where that will put us ranking-wise, but I assume that we will be preseasoned ranked in the top 15, so heading into week 4, there are bound to be teams that lose that are ahead of us.......it's entirely possible.

If Steele's prediction of preseason #10 comes true, we should be #7 or #8 by week 4, given that a few teams in front of UT will drop a game.

I am just tickled Pink that we are having this conversation... it has been a while.

Go Vols!

Go back and watch the Northwestern tape. (easy to find on Youtube) If we can just be that good when next season starts, then everybody better watch out. It is easy to overlook the fact that Northwestern was a highly ranked and touted team simply because of the way we dominated them in every phase of the game. If team 120 improves at all, then there is not a team on the schedule saving Alabama that can touch us.

That's what I think.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back