PFF’s Top Returning Offensive Linemen

They did rank him high in the preseason among returning starters based on the year before. After the season he was ranked middle of the SEC.

Our line wasn't good.
Wow.... Just wow. You will do ANYTHING and push ANY false narrative to deflect responsibility from JG, won't you? The OL was developing in run blocking but their pass protection was among the best in the SEC. In spite of JG being so incredibly sloooooooooooow delivering the ball, UT was among the best in sacks allowed.

PFF is the most respected source for non-biased data based football analysis. Anyone who thinks they are bad is an idiot.
Uh... coming from you... that's rich.

If JG is the starter next fall, I'm sure you'll find someone to blame regardless of how well they play.

Like JG's "stats"... these grades have to be viewed in context. If they're not then you get a distorted impression.

PFF names top returning SEC linemen and four of them play for Kentucky | Kentucky Sports Radio

Trey Smith was the only returning on the list for us. UK is boasting that they will have the best offensive line next year. My argument was their numbers were highly skewed due to type of offense they ran the second half of the season. The Mildcat faithful disagreed with me. Thoughts?

These lists should be taken with a grain of salt. But Kentucky does have an outstanding offensive line. I think Tennessee will too.

Regardless, Tennessee will beat Kentucky. It’s what we do.

Reactions: KBVol
Anyone who says we had a bad line last year is an idiot. We literally had no quarterback and every team knew we were running it. Yet we still ran the ball well against most of the teams. As per usual, we had our worst game of the year against UT...but overall we had a very solid year considering the circumstances.

With an average QB we probably win 9 or 10. We bungled the Florida/Tennessee games massively.

They were far from the best in the league.
True but the best in the league are headed to the NFL and this is a new group. They were the best freshman in the league which means their talent is on par with the best. They will be far better players in year 2. We actually have a legit shot at 4 of our olineman making 1st or 2nd team all SEC. Trey is hands down the best Olineman in the SEC. Cade is a top 5 lineman in the SEC. Wanya and Darnell have all world talent. We'll see what they do with it. IMO they both are the real deal.

True but the best in the league are headed to the NFL and this is a new group. They were the best freshman in the league which means their talent is on par with the best. They will be far better players in year 2. We actually have a legit shot at 4 of our olineman making 1st or 2nd team all SEC. Trey is hands down the best Olineman in the SEC. Cade is a top 5 lineman in the SEC. Wanya and Darnell have all world talent. We'll see what they do with it. IMO they both are the real deal.
Hands down the best huh? Kinnard and Salyer were rated higher...kinnard being much higher. He is good no doubt... But not the best

Last edited:
Cade is not a eligible. And no, not all the best linemen are headed to the NFL. That’s why there are four at UK, among others.

While I thought the oline was improved, it is far from where it needs to be. Lots of busts by Morris and Wright. So much, that Calbert and Johnson were getting plenty of snaps.

Hands down the best huh? Kinnard and Salyer were rated higher...kinnard being much higher. He is good no doubt... But not the best
Neither one of those guys are better then Trey Smith. Im not being biased. I have friends that played OL at Auburn who only watch the OL and they say the exact same thing. I live in Ga and football people around here say the exact same thing. U turn on the tape and Trey Smith is the best returning olineman in the SEC.

Cade is not a eligible. And no, not all the best linemen are headed to the NFL. That’s why there are four at UK, among others.

While I thought the oline was improved, it is far from where it needs to be. Lots of busts by Morris and Wright. So much, that Calbert and Johnson were getting plenty of snaps.
Calbert and Johnson got snaps becuase of injuries. U talking like KY oline didnt make mistakes. Im pretty sure they got stuffed at the goaline at home when it mattered most (GBO). We dnt know what KY lineman can do pass blocking becuase they never throw it. Trey Smith is the best olineman in our league. If Cade is eligible he his top 5. I dnt know if Wanya or Darnell can make 1st team but i believe they can make second team ALL-SEC. They were 2 of the most talented freshman in the country and u talking about natural mistakes freshman tend to make.

Calbert and Johnson got snaps becuase of injuries. U talking like KY oline didnt make mistakes. Im pretty sure they got stuffed at the goaline at home when it mattered most (GBO). We dnt know what KY lineman can do pass blocking becuase they never throw it. Trey Smith is the best olineman in our league. If Cade is eligible he his top 5. I dnt know if Wanya or Darnell can make 1st team but i believe they can make second team ALL-SEC. They were 2 of the most talented freshman in the country and u talking about natural mistakes freshman tend to make.
What? Where do some of you get this shat? I didn’t say anything about UK mistakes. I said they have four players on that list, which contradicts the claim that all the good players were gone.

Calbert and Johnson played even when there weren’t injuries. Wright and Morris have a ton of talent and a ton of work to do.

If Cade, if, if, if. And no, he isn’t. Could he be? Yes. He wasn’t even in the top five of UGA linemen last year.

PFF names top returning SEC linemen and four of them play for Kentucky | Kentucky Sports Radio

Trey Smith was the only returning on the list for us. UK is boasting that they will have the best offensive line next year. My argument was their numbers were highly skewed due to type of offense they ran the second half of the season. The Mildcat faithful disagreed with me. Thoughts?

Wildcat mythology or not, KY is going to make noise during the 2020 season. Their OL is legit and the DL is better than many think. And they recruited very well, including taking a Tennessee lineman we wanted. Whoever presumes to overlook them or take them lightly is going to get their arses kicked. Like us, they only need a bona fide QB to be a threat to anybody and everybody in the conference. They might have one in a new transfer, so I'm hearing. Terry will be very rusty coming back and the new guy may well beat him out. Mainly because he's a better passer and decision-maker, or so it's said. I don't vouch for the top returning SEC linemen vote, but the KY guys are for real much as we Vols faithful would like to pooh-pooh the idea. Anybody thinking they can dismiss KY as an automatic win this coming season does so at their own peril.

Last edited:
Cade is not a top5 lineman in this league. I don't even think he's guaranteed a starting spot in our line even if he's eligible. He wasn't ever a top 5 on his own team when at GA. He's definitely a decent player and will help our line but I don't think he's any kind of game changer.

What? Where do some of you get this shat? I didn’t say anything about UK mistakes. I said they have four players on that list, which contradicts the claim that all the good players were gone.

Calbert and Johnson played even when there weren’t injuries. Wright and Morris have a ton of talent and a ton of work to do.

If Cade, if, if, if. And no, he isn’t. Could he be? Yes. He wasn’t even in the top five of UGA linemen last year.
U keep talking about last year but it says RETURNING Lineman. Which means u dnt have to be better then the guys from last year. U have to be the best of the guys returning. Yes Calbert and Johnson were in the rotation but Wanya and Darnell were the starters as true freshman. UGa had the best line in the league with 2 high draft picks who were upperclassmen playing ahead of Cade. That doesnt make Cade a bad player it just means uga had a stacked oline. Cade is one of the best 10 returning lineman in the league weather he has to sit out or not. Trey is the best lineman in the league. The only concern for him is blood clots. We all know good and well that Trey would have been a 1st round pick with out the blood clot concern. That dude could start on any oline in the SEC.

Cade is not a top5 lineman in this league. I don't even think he's guaranteed a starting spot in our line even if he's eligible. He wasn't ever a top 5 on his own team when at GA. He's definitely a decent player and will help our line but I don't think he's any kind of game changer.
How is he not a top 5 uga limeman if he started 7 games and made freshman ALL Sec his 1st year then started 11 games at 4 different positions last season??

How is he not a top 5 uga limeman if he started 7 games and made freshman ALL Sec his 1st year then started 11 games at 4 different positions last season??
Most of his starts were as a backup to an injured player. I think you are giving him too much credit as being great when he's not. Top5 lineman in the SEC usually get drafted in the 1st 2 rounds, Mays may get drafted eventually but it won't be in the early rounds. He's a good player but definitely not top5 in the league and likely not even top 20.

Wow.... Just wow. You will do ANYTHING and push ANY false narrative to deflect responsibility from JG, won't you? The OL was developing in run blocking but their pass protection was among the best in the SEC. In spite of JG being so incredibly sloooooooooooow delivering the ball, UT was among the best in sacks allowed.

Didn't I see a post that showed that JG actually got rid of the ball faster than the SEC average? If you think our OL was good last year, you don't have a clue. A good offensive line will make an average RB look good. Our RBs rarely had a hole to run thru.

U keep talking about last year but it says RETURNING Lineman. Which means u dnt have to be better then the guys from last year. U have to be the best of the guys returning. Yes Calbert and Johnson were in the rotation but Wanya and Darnell were the starters as true freshman. UGa had the best line in the league with 2 high draft picks who were upperclassmen playing ahead of Cade. That doesnt make Cade a bad player it just means uga had a stacked oline. Cade is one of the best 10 returning lineman in the league weather he has to sit out or not. Trey is the best lineman in the league. The only concern for him is blood clots. We all know good and well that Trey would have been a 1st round pick with out the blood clot concern. That dude could start on any oline in the SEC.
Good grief. Of course we are talking about returning. Did you read the context of what’s going on here? UK had four (RETURNING) players listed, and someone was bitching that nether Morris or Wright was mentioned.

Well we'll see how that works out for them. No Cade Mays or Wanya Morris? Interesting.
Wanya had an up and down freshman year, shouldn’t have been on the list. Has a great upside and a lot of potential, will hopefully play well enough in 2020 that he makes the list in 2021. Either way, I’m thrilled he’ll be a part of our OL the next couple of years at least.

VN Store

Back