PFF’s Top Returning Offensive Linemen

Heard on Swain’s show this morning that Barton Simmons ranked the returning SEC QBs.....JG was #11....lol, probably ranked him a little high, but #11 was pretty fair. Btw, Swain agreed with the list.

Heard on Swain’s show this morning that Barton Simmons ranked the returning SEC QBs.....JG was #11....lol, probably ranked him a little high, but #11 was pretty fair. Btw, Swain agreed with the list.
They did rank him high in the preseason among returning starters based on the year before. After the season he was ranked middle of the SEC.

Our line wasn't good.

PFF is the most respected source for non-biased data based football analysis. Anyone who thinks they are bad is an idiot.
They ranked JG high for returning SEC QBs prior to last season because he played well in some games, did some good things especially on 3rd down and with other situational stats .... and he played behind an atrocious OL, took an absolute beating , and he he deserved some kudos for it....and I defended him all off season prior to 2019. He was actually one of the few players on that team that helped elevate the play of the total team, at times.

However, last year was totally different deal. His OL was much improved in terms of pass protection....he didn’t have near the pressure in 2019 as he did in 2018, yet he regressed significantly. HE wasn’t seeing the field, HE wasn’t making the proper decisions, HE was the one throwing inaccurately, to the point where HE was the one holding the offense back, despite having more time and opportunity to make plays.

It’s disingenuous to imply that his poor play last year was due to a poor OL. That excuse just doesn’t fly.

Reactions: Roustabout

They ranked JG high for returning SEC QBs prior to last season because he played well in some games, did some good things especially on 3rd down and with other situational stats .... and he played behind an atrocious OL, took an absolute beating , and he he deserved some kudos for it....and I defended him all off season prior to 2019. He was actually one of the few players on that team that helped elevate the play of the total team, at times.

However, last year was totally different deal. His OL was much improved in terms of pass protection....he didn’t have near the pressure in 2019 as he did in 2018, yet he regressed significantly. HE wasn’t seeing the field, HE wasn’t making the proper decisions, HE was the one throwing inaccurately, to the point where HE was the one holding the offense back, despite having more time and opportunity to make plays.

It’s disingenuous to imply that his poor play last year was due to a poor OL. That excuse just doesn’t fly.
I listened to Ainge and they clowned the list. It was garbage.

KJ Costello beat out at Stanford is the best SEC QB? That is all that needs to be said about that list.

I listened to Ainge and they clowned the list. It was garbage.

KJ Costello beat out at Stanford is the best SEC QB? That is all that needs to be said about that list.
Ainge “clowned it”, Swain agreed with it. Bottom line is, I don’t know exactly who I’d put at the top, I and a ton of other people who watched Jarrett Guarantano play last year, just know that no matter who is being discussed, Guarantano doesn’t belong anywhere near the top 3, top 5, top 10 in the SEC....period. Simmons putting him at #11 was beyond generous, even biased in Guarantano‘a favor. Can’t imagine there will be 3 starting SEC QBs worse than what Guarantano has shown to be based on his 2019 play.

Yes, there is no question the oline protected better. JGs efficiency was down and his critical mistakes were up. Pruitt needs to have a short leash on him.

Reactions: KBVol
Ainge “clowned it”, Swain agreed with it. Bottom line is, I don’t know exactly who I’d put at the top, I and a ton of other people who watched Jarrett Guarantano play last year, just know that no matter who is being discussed, Guarantano doesn’t belong anywhere near the top 3, top 5, top 10 in the SEC....period. Simmons putting him at #11 was beyond generous, even biased in Guarantano‘a favor. Can’t imagine there will be 3 starting SEC QBs worse than what Guarantano has shown to be based on his 2019 play.
That is just stupid. He was mid tier in the SEC last year. There were way more then three worse SEC qbs last year. Just stop with the hyperbole.

Terrible take. He'll be better than 11th based purely off of injuries as 4 or 5 of those guys likely won't finish the season healthy. It's also ridiculous to think that these QB transfers are going to play well in this conference. None of them were spectacular last season, none of them have any physical abilities at the position that you'd consider special and I don't think a single one of them is a difference maker. Picking the transfer at Miss St as the top QB in the SEC is pure nonsense.

That is just stupid. He was mid tier in the SEC last year. There were way more then three worse SEC qbs last year. Just stop with the hyperbole.
Tell you what chief, find ANY list ANYBODY makes this off season leading into September and I guarantee you every one of them will have JG in the bottom 1/3 or bottom 1/4.....not a single one will have him near the top half, and that’s something he’s earned based on his play last year. He might’ve been predicted to be mid-tier going into the 2019 season, but after his disastrous play, he’s now solidly in the bottom to last tier among SEC QBs.....and any Tennessee Vols football fan better be hoping and praying that Maurer or Shrout or Bailey or Holliday or Hill wind up taking the job and playing qb at a high SEC level. Guarantano is a good kid who clearly works hard and tries hard and at times has done some good things.....but it’s beyond clear he’s just not good enough to take this rapidly improving team/program where it needs to go. Past time to move on from him.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back