Peyton Manning vs Charles Woodson Twitter Poll.

If Peyton had played at Notre Dame, or USC, or some northern school, he would have won. This was the biggest farce in the history of the award. He was clearly the best college player that year . It happens in the voting for baseball and football HOF as well because so many of the voters are concentrated in the northeast part of the country that hates any team below Boston. My boycott from that fiasco is still ongoing.

Do your thing, Volnation. Vote and retweet. If you need to join Twitter to vote, you are morally obligated to do so.

I have never watched or cared who got the trophy since 1997 and I never will. The biggest farce in college football history. Yes, I am bias, and that makes my opinion even more concrete.

Know what, I love Peyton and find it odd that it went to defensive player, but Woodson was deserving. I have learned to live with it.

Peyton definitely deserved it but interesting to see how the game has changed. A 60% completion % is now considered sub par. I’m sure it has to do with a lot more short passes today and new rules created each year that make it harder for defenses to play.

It’s not even the worst Heisman snub in UT history. At least Woodson was a great player for a top team. Johnny Majors had a fantastic season and then came second to Paul Hornung, the captain of a 2-win Notre Dame squad.
Both were travesties. HEIST-man is irrelevant to me & many others.

It's not even close. Peyton was the best player in college football that year.
The media tried to play up Woodson to get better ratings cause nobody was gonna come close to Peyton. Ridiculous

It was an ABC espn conspiracy, (Big 10 broadcasters & ass kissers) and the rest were fueled by Jealousy of the Mannings. The day the heisman died and this Country started a downhill slide. As a UT Vol, that day will live in infamy.

Reactions: Bloodrunsorange27
Woodson winning the Heisman ("hypeman") shows you the power of the media and its ability to influence or manipulate. Peyton won every other award that year in which he was nominated.....except the Heisman. Here's another reason...

1. Danny Wuerfful (UF) won it in '96. (Peyton was ranked 8th - but had better stats)
(stats) 1996 Heisman Trophy Voting | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
2. Peyton was up to winning it in 97. (Tim Couch - QB/KY - was 9th in voting - but had more yards/compl/tds than Peyton)
(stats) 1997 Heisman Trophy Voting | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
3. Tim Couch was setting the field on fire and many thought he was the front-runner for the Heisman in '98. He was actually 4th in voting in 98 - but passed for more than 4200 yards. Ricky Williams from Tx won - but passed for less than 1/2 the yardage.
(stats) 1998 Heisman Trophy Voting | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

So here's the deal....

There was NO WAY the powers that be were going to allow 3-white QBs -from the south - to win the Heisman Trophy 3 years in a row. NO. FREAKIN. WAY.

So Peyton got screwed in '97.

That is when I started calling it the "Affirmative Action Trophy", began hating E$PN for it's agenda and propaganda and couldn't possibly care less on who has won it since.

ESPN did the same thing with the BCS replacing it with a model that favored more advertising revenue.

Reactions: volfeeva
Woodson winning the Heisman ("hypeman") shows you the power of the media and its ability to influence or manipulate. Peyton won every other award that year in which he was nominated.....except the Heisman. Here's another reason...

1. Danny Wuerfful (UF) won it in '96. (Peyton was ranked 8th - but had better stats)
(stats) 1996 Heisman Trophy Voting | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
2. Peyton was up to winning it in 97. (Tim Couch - QB/KY - was 9th in voting - but had more yards/compl/tds than Peyton)
(stats) 1997 Heisman Trophy Voting | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
3. Tim Couch was setting the field on fire and many thought he was the front-runner for the Heisman in '98. He was actually 4th in voting in 98 - but passed for more than 4200 yards. Ricky Williams from Tx won - but passed for less than 1/2 the yardage.
(stats) 1998 Heisman Trophy Voting | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

So here's the deal....

There was NO WAY the powers that be were going to allow 3-white QBs -from the south - to win the Heisman Trophy 3 years in a row. NO. FREAKIN. WAY.

So Peyton got screwed in '97.

That is when I started calling it the "Affirmative Action Trophy", began hating E$PN for it's agenda and propaganda and couldn't possibly care less on who has won it since.

ESPN did the same thing with the BCS replacing it with a model that favored more advertising revenue.
I don’t remember anybody thinking Tim Couch was going to win the Heisman in 1998… and Rickey Williams RAN for 2,000+.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocytop2624
It's not even close. Peyton was the best player in college football that year.
The media tried to play up Woodson to get better ratings cause nobody was gonna come close to Peyton. Ridiculous
ESPN's hatred of Tennessee is the only reason why he does not have the Heisman Trophy in his trophy display.

Can't forget about Randy Moss who was also a Heisman Finalist that year. Dude may have been the closest thing to a real life cheat code/Bo Jackson in tecmo bowl in college.

VN Store

Back