Petition to rename TBA in honor of Summitt

Opposing coaches already use the Women's bball stuff against us. If we play in an arena named after a women's coach they will double down.

You keep trying to make this about something its not. Maybe you need to examine why you are so upset about me defending Dobbs or whoever else. You need to look at your prejudices.

Why would we name something after Dobbs? He hasn't won anything.

Does she not already have a street and court named after her? Does she not have a statue? Or did I imagine those things?

That kind of attitide isn't appropriate imo

Reactions: 1 person
I think that there were cost overruns due to the roof design as well. Those huge concrete supports in the four corners were enhanced to prevent the thing from falling into the river. The roof couldn't support a center scoreboard when it was completed. When that scoreboard was added about 10 years ago even more structural reinforcement was added. I think that might be the big circular steel right above it.

Clarence Swearengen had the first basket in the TBA. A breakaway dunk off of the opening tip versus Marquette.

Greg Bell was the a shooting guard on that team. He worked on one of the construction crews.

At least one guy fell to his death building the TBA.

The construction company was replaced in the middle of the construction. Might have been Ray Bell Construction... I'm not sure. It was a bit of a scandal.

One other design considered was putting a roof over Neyland stadium and rolling in temporary seats on the field and using the south end zone permanent seating.

I remember all this, but Dawn Marsh from Alcoa, scored the first basket at TBA, as fittingly, the Lady Vols played the first game there beating Stetson in November, 1987. The men played after in a double header

That is what they do though. Digs have been taken toward the men's program forever... especially from Bammers.

I've never heard of a rival coach actually speaking to recruits about Lady Vol basketball. I do not believe that Dabo brings it up at Clemson. It just makes no sense and btw what I meant was I don't think that it's appropriate to obsess about how ways to honor CPS will be used to hurt our football program. Especially perceived ideas that probably come from Bama *fans*.

Much of the UT expansion occurred under Andy Holt's watch. I think that the Presidential Court student housing, Clement Hall, Communications Building, Administrative Tower, Stokely Mgmt Center, Humanities Plaza, Neyland expansions, and the original undergraduate library. Stokely Athletics Center and the Aquatic Center possibly too. Fraternity Row also.

We all loved Andy. Everyone.
But Boling was the builder.

University of Tennessee | A Tribute to Dr. Boling and his Life

I've never heard of a rival coach actually speaking to recruits about Lady Vol basketball. I do not believe that Dabo brings it up at Clemson. It just makes no sense and btw what I meant was I don't think that it's appropriate to obsess about how ways to honor CPS will be used to hurt our football program. Especially perceived ideas that probably come from Bama *fans*.

I don't think that it's used in football recruiting against TN other than to take somewhat jokingly cheap shots that TN is a women's basketball school rather than a football school. I have no doubt that it was used against the men's basketball program.

Pat Summitt did not make TBA. But she did a lot of decorating with the banners. The court is already named after her, so there's no reason to name the arena after her too.
The LadyVols attendance at the height of the program was still less than the men's attendance last year and we weren't too good. As much as I hate to say it, BrucePearls marketing abilities and carry over had a lot to do with the good attendance as of late.
Pat Summitt was a great coach and an even better person. She has a statue and a court named after her. She doesn't need the whole arena named after her.

Reactions: 2 people
The NCAA should rename the women's basketball National Championship Trophy after her.

That would be the honor she deserves on a national level.

Thank you Pat for being a great role model in life not just in basketball. I missed you when you retired and now there is a big hole missing in the hearts of all UT fans.

Reactions: 8 people

Agreed and well stated IMO

The NCAA should rename the women's basketball National Championship Trophy after her.

That would be the honor she deserves on a national level.

Thank you Pat for being a great role model in life not just in basketball. I missed you when you retired and now there is a big hole missing in the hearts of all UT fans.

I'd instead name the player of the year after her instead of having a men's and women's Wooden winner

I'd really like to see the women's NC trophy named for her. I'm not as enthusiastic about renaming the Wooden Award given to the most outstanding player for her. I'd want to see a TEAM get an award in her name rather than a player. Also, since 100% of Pat's players that used all of their eligibility graduated, I wouldn't want to see it ever go to any player that left early to the WNBA. I'd rather see it always go to genuine student-athletes. Alternatively I'd be happy if the Summitt Award went to the COY.

I don't think that it's used in football recruiting against TN other than to take somewhat jokingly cheap shots that TN is a women's basketball school rather than a football school. I have no doubt that it was used against the men's basketball program.

I find it hard to believe that is something that's very effective anymore. Does UConn get the same treatment? I know UConn's men's program has a much better history than us, but it's still not nearly as good as the women's program.

Not to mention in this day of how sensitive everything is, that seems a pretty sexiest slant that many coaches would avoid. If recruits came out saying "Yeah I was going to go to UT but Coach Cal said 'You want to play at a women's basketball school?" I said NO WAY MAN!", ESPN would jump all over that shiz.

Plus her passing away now, that doubles down the disrespect.

VN Store

Back