Pete Thamel: Tim Banks finalizing deal for DC

The last time we hired a DC working with Franklin (Shoop) the candidate looked elite but didn't pan for us or anyone else. Let's hope Banks has the goods apart from Franklin and not because of him.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Does it matter? Give it two weeks and everyone will have convinced themselves that it’s a home run hire! It’s the VN cycle.. have seen it with the past 3 HC hires!

Absolutely NOTHING is a home run hire anymore. ZERO! From now on every single coach has to prove it on the field before getting the label. We've been mislead too many times and should know better. Not a single fan should characterize any hire as a "home run" until it is a home run. Just setting ourselves up for a gut punch.

Hard to hate this one. P5 DC experience, young former player, strong recruiter...he did spend a bit too much time with Butch Jones. I think we can overlook that though.

Not sure about this hire. Haven’t heard of him. The name hasn’t even popped up in past coaching hires for other programs. Seen some in here say he’s a good recruiter but who has he help sign at penn state that he has brougjt in an developed that went
On to the nfl? I was fine with the wait in the hire, at least get it right if that was the plan so In this case I hope this was the best hire out of all the others. Welcome Coach Banks.
Micah Parsons was recruited and coached by Banks at Penn State. Parsons is considered the number 1 defensive guy (not just linebacker) in this years draft and expected to be a top 5 pick.

Parsons did sit out this season due to Covid and that Penn State defensive was definitely not the same.

Like others, I'm a little concerned about the co-DC thing and also if he is good with the defensive hires already made like Garner.
I'm excited to see how this plays out and glad to have you here Coach Banks.

Reactions: I4Vols
If it’s Martinez, Gardner, Steele, and Janeck coming in with him, I feel very good about recruiting and development on the defensive side of the ball. The offense is going to be good. I really like the Heupel hire.

Reactions: JK Vol and A.J.
I hope he can bring Joe Lorig (OLB/ Special teams coordinator) with him. As it turns out we need both positions filled. Then go get JJ McCleskey for CB coach.

Banks (DC/ Safeties), Lorig (OLB/ Special Teams), Steele (ILB), Garner (DL), McCleskey (CBs). Very good staff with plenty of power five experience and even a couple of VFLs.

Well now that this is done, let start trashing some LB coaches and some DB coaches since we have those spots left to fill on the staff.

Reactions: Wireless1
Never been a true, lone defensive coordinator. He's been a co-defensive coordinator at a couple of stops, but you know how that "co" title goes. A lot of times that title is just given to a coach to make them happy/get them more money. So there's some concern there. However he's supposedly a great recruiter and a high energy guy. Also, I'm just going to say it, it never hurts to diversify your staff even more to attract recruits.
Co-defensive coordinator for 10 years

Absolutely NOTHING is a home run hire anymore. ZERO! From now on every single coach has to prove it on the field before getting the label. We've been mislead too many times and should know better. Not a single fan should characterize any hire as a "home run" until it is a home run. Just setting ourselves up for a gut punch.

I tend to agree that we won't know about any coach until a few years out. On paper, this looks like a good hire in our situation. Maybe even a touchdown hire.

I looked up his recruiting rankings on 247 sports. Blah. Currently ranked 44th. Ranking in 50's and 60's over the past couple of years. Never near the top of PSU recruiters during that time. After that nothing in the top 200 going back to 2018. He better be a hell of a coach and player development guy. Certainly unimpressed with what I've seen of his recruiting.

Reactions: GoVols15
Been burned too many times by coaches over the last 14 years. I'll withhold judgement until we see if we can manage to stop a simple slant pass this fall.
neutral.jpg

So...Danny White to introduce the entire Tennessee football coaching staff at tomorrow night's basketball game vs South Carolina?

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back