Pete Thamel: Lincoln Riley to USC

Recruiting and Nice Weather come to mind.

Also as Kiffin once said, USC’s head coach is like a peon in terms of fame in Los Angeles whereas Tennessee’s head coach is basically the president of the state. I assume the same is true for OU’s head coach

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Idk. Stoops wants what is best for OU. If they come calling to feel out Heupel, seems like dumb decision to not take the job. It’s your alma mater that is gonna be in the SEC soon. He’s got SEC experience now and can somewhat get them ready to transition. While I
Hope there is bad blood enough that isn’t buried between Heupel and Stoops, I wouldn’t blame him for taking the job if they offer or interview. I’m cautiously optimistic but I’m expecting the worst. Not like the top coaches out there are available for OU
I'm ignorant but how much "juice" does Stoops still have at OU. I get history but he's not officially connected now......is he?

I don't think Heupel leaves UT because of Danny White. I think he might squeeze UT a little and see if more money pops out but I think Heupel realizes White will probably give him a lot of time and leeway and shield him if things aren't "even better" next year (because I am a Vol fan and I know how we are.)

?? They let Helton flounder there for half a decade and some change

He played in 3 Pac 12 title games there including last year after going unbeaten in the regular season. He got ran after starting 1-1 this year. He was 12-3 in his last 15 Pac 12 games.

This will be their 7th head coach in 12 years counting interm coaches. Their last 3 got fired early in the season. One for being a chronic drunk, one for being a chronic ass. One left running from the NCAA mob. It's been pretty chaotic there for a long time.

Reactions: Cheese Vol
I'm ignorant but how much "juice" does Stoops still have at OU. I get history but he's not officially connected now......is he?

I don't think Heupel leaves UT because of Danny White. I think he might squeeze UT a little and see if more money pops out but I think Heupel realizes White will probably give him a lot of time and leeway and shield him if things aren't "even better" next year (because I am a Vol fan and I know how we are.)

I’m ignorant too. I just know if I’m Heupel and the place I won a Natty at is paying their head coach 7-8 million dollars and is basically a Ferrari program right now running 10-11 win seasons every year. I have a year of SEC experience with a much worse roster talent wise than OU and I somewhat know what it takes for SEC ball.

Sure he got canned by a former head coach but just seems odd to me that Heupel wouldn’t field an interview request. In regards to comparing the two, seems like a no brainer to go to OU and rack up double digit wins and playoff contention vs rebuilding Tennessee where you’re prolly 1-2 more years away from sniffing 10 wins consistently.

He's expected to coach the bowl game at this point. So he's still connected.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Recruiting and Nice Weather come to mind.

People won't move laterally for any Florida school. All have that in spades. Texas has a huge base, huge money, and Austin has nice weather, a California vibe if you like that, and no income tax. They can't get coaches to move laterally and they've been no more chaotic than USC since 2009.

I’m ignorant too. I just know if I’m Heupel and the place I won a Natty at is paying their head coach 7-8 million dollars and is basically a Ferrari program right now running 10-11 win seasons every year. I have a year of SEC experience with a much worse roster talent wise than OU and I somewhat know what it takes for SEC ball.

Sure he got canned by a former head coach but just seems odd to me that Heupel wouldn’t field an interview request. In regards to comparing the two, seems like a no brainer to go to OU and rack up double digit wins and playoff contention vs rebuilding Tennessee where you’re prolly 1-2 more years away from sniffing 10 wins consistently.
I think he'll take the call but I'm iffy on the "double digit" wins in the SEC West.

If they come hard at him: double his salary, offer him a nice long deal, and assure him he IS the Sheriff, not Bob Stoops....... he could go and I'd not blame him.

I'd not like it but I understand. I hope he just uses the interest to get more money here.

Wow!

This makes Riley shooting down the LSU rumors last night even funnier. He wasn't lying. He was just taking a different job.

I think he'll take the call but I'm iffy on the "double digit" wins in the SEC West.

If they come hard at him: double his salary, offer him a nice long deal, and assure him he IS the Sheriff, not Bob Stoops....... he could go and I'd not blame him.

I'd not like it but I understand. I hope he just uses the interest to get more money here.

The SEC west thing doesn’t matter though in the short term. Also the odds that SEC stays two divisions with 16 teams is unlikely I feel.

However take the next 2-3 years and compare. At OU, you could legit have change to win 30-40 games while contending for playoff and get paid 7-8 million. At t Tennessee, you’re looking at 20-30 wins while hoping to have an outside shot at the playoff realistically if things go right while making 4-5 million.

Just like Heupel would be dumb to not take an interview at OU, OU would be dumb not to go after him.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
I think the only college football job Urban would consider is Notre Dame. He can’t handle the pressure of the SEC

Reactions: MAD
Maybe he doesn’t want to hunt with the big dogs. Coaching in the PAC 12 will be a sight easier than coaching in the SEC.
Maybe so, but LSU has hired 3 consecutive coaches that won the NC.

Their win % before LSU:
Ed O= 37%
Mies= 57%
Saban= 57%

It's seems like an awfully easy place to win.

Reactions: MAD
He's expected to coach the bowl game at this point. So he's still connected.

Gotta wonder if this is not gonna be one of those Bush/Cheney type situations?

By that, I mean Stoops heads up the committee to choose the next coach and ultimately decides he is the best man.

Perhaps we know now why Aranda didn't sign an extension at Baylor. Maybe there was some buzz that Riley might be giving LSU a head fake.....

I'd say LSU and OU take a hard run and make Baylor pay the man.

VN Store

Back