Pete Rose.... in or out ?

In. As a player.

Prove he threw games like Joe Jackson and it's a different story. He didn't. Anybody who actually saw him play knows he gave all he had every single game and held his teammates accountable to do the same. With all the gambling that is accepted everywhere today, seems a bit over the top to hold him up as the bad boy.

In before the roids supporters bring up Bonds, Clemens, McGuire, Sosa, etc.

Schilling is not in because of his politics. So let's not paint the HOF as the paramount of baseball purity. There are some renegades and scoundrels in it already. Pete is one just like a number of others. His playing career justifies his inclusion.
Gambling done by the general public is accepted today. Gambling done by participants in the contests themselves is still strongly frowned upon and raises obvious questions about the integrity of the games being played.

Gambling done by the general public is accepted today. Gambling done by participants in the contests themselves is still strongly frowned upon and raises obvious questions about the integrity of the games being played.

So players don't do things to help family and friends? Yeah, they do. Injuries, illnesess, emotional issues, family issues, being investigated, alcoholism, drug use, and on and on. Players tell people they are close to when the general public has no idea and place their bets. Who tracks all that online activity when John places that bet with insider info and Jack has no idea? Nobody. Who tracks the use of the money they win and how it gets used. Nobody.

Crack down on runs shavers and roid/illegal substance users. You can allow gambling and require the players to provide their activity in advance to the league while not permitting bets against their team. If they do something outside the lines they get suspended or booted while being tossed from HOF consideration. Disclosure versus selective investigation and enforcement.

I'm not a gambler. Wish it did not even exist. Have seen it destroy lives of family and friends. But it does exist legally and there are so many ways around the league rules pertaining to it.

JMO.

A. Bartlett Giamatti said out…so he’s out. No Commissioner will override that.

Meh, I see what you're saying, but that is a very weak argument because the assumption is that he was making an extra effort to win a game... which I thought was the purpose of playing the game.? I guess I always thought you play to win, not play to lose.
Not that simple in a 162 game season

Why can't he get in as a player? Playing and managing are two completely different careers. If mangers can make it without factoring in their playing careers, then why can't players make it in without factoring in their managing careers?

VN Store

Back