Perspective

1st post ever... I’m on here every day for years, just prefer reading over writing, I guess. I personally think that JG is 1 of the worst qb’s in college football, and I hope he never plays in another game for UT. I felt this way even during our streak last year when he looked successful just because our receivers had the upper hand in all the jump balls he threw up that usually went our way in those close victories. I do believe in JP. He is a competitor, not a salesman and I think he truly puts the best players in at every position he feels that can win us a ballgame. Just 10 days ago, I would say the majority of us on here fully expected a victory over Georgia due to the strides we have made the past few years. Guess what?.. we still have that same coach. Our players all look bigger, stronger, and quicker than anytime in recent memory. We are having some very painful growth right now, but I honestly think we are growing and getting better. Go Vols!

So you say Jg is maybe the worst qb in college football but that you like cjp because he has a good track record of putting the best players out there? If JG is the best candidate for the job it’s only because he’s never allow there to be a competition at the position and never allowed any of the other QBs an opportunity for live reps. The players (QBs) can’t improve or even prove they’re good if they’re not given an opportunity. And it feels like for 4 consecutive seasons no other qb has gotten an opportunity besides JG. Sorry...that’s on coaching. We all recognize how hard pruitt has worked to improve this roster etc. but he’s completely clueless as to the horrible level of play we see out of JG and doesn’t have the wherewithal to give anyone else a chance to play

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I think the greater rub is that Pruitt & Co. did not play the transfer portal more effectively. It isn't like they didn't try (Chryst, Kasim Hill, made a run at JT Daniels) but it didn't work out.
It’s a tough spot. Year one coming off a 4-8 record who wants to transfer here that is good? The next year you can’t sign anybody. The next year you have the future showing up as a freshman that many thinK will play....again who wants to transfer here at that point.

No offense but any UT fan who “expected” us to beat UGA is simply delusional. It’s one thing to believe we had “a chance” to beat UGA but if you expected us to beat them then I have to question your knowledge of football. We shouldn’t expect to beat the upper tier programs until our team shows that they are capable of beating those teams with any sort of consistency.
You're not wrong, and that may be a reasonable attitude for fans to take, but the ones putting it on the line on the field had better expect to win. You can't take the field with Alabama or Florida or Georgia thinking "there's a chance we're going to pull this out" and get the result. You may get a lucky break every now and again that way, but the team we want knows in their gut the game is theirs.

Even then, you're going to lose some. That's what the Alabama game is, what it used to be, what it should be. It's a game where two teams put everything on the line and the stakes are massive because both teams know that the game is theirs, and only one of them gets to be right. The game should have a huge emotional fallout for one team. If you're not devastated after a loss, you didn't want it enough. And if you didn't want it enough, you were never going to get it in the first place. Belief and desire are every bit as important as talent and conditioning and training. Either one without the other isn't going to get you very far in the games that matter.

Is it pragmatic for a fan to take stock and say "look, expecting a win is completely unrealistic here"? Sure. But our team will never get over the hump with that mentality. And that's where Coach Pruitt needs to do some soul searching. When execution or lack of it in any particular facet of the game is affecting the team's belief, he's got to make some tough choices. That's why he makes the big bucks. Time to go earn them.

VN Store

Back