Perspective on UF Problems (Gainesville Sun)

VolDave53

Life is Good, Just Look Around ~ Matt Prater
"
How will the Gators improve passing game?

Kevin Brockway

Gainesville Sun USA TODAY NETWORK

As Florida Gators quarterback Anthony Richardson prepares for his first career road start against the Tennessee Volunteers, questions linger as how to get UF's dormant passing game on track.

The Gators (2-1, 0-1 SEC) entered this week ranked last in the SEC in passing offense at 141 yards per game. Richardson has yet to throw a touchdown pass in three games this season.

A chance for UF's elusive first TD pass came Saturday night in the fourth quarter against USF, but Richardson's attempted fade pass to receiver Justin Shorter in the end zone came up short and was intercepted by USF cornerback Aamaris Brown.

'At first it was definitely getting to me because, you're like, bro, you're a quarterback. How come you don't have any passing touchdowns? You have four interceptions,' Richardson said. 'I mean, I'm throwing the ball but just not getting in the end zone.

'So it was affecting me a little bit, but now I'm just like, OK, it's football. It's going to come. I've got to let it come to me. I can't try to force it. I've got to let the game be the game.'

Richardson said the Gators are trying a new tack this week to get the passing game going, joint quarterback- wide receiver film sessions to go over how to attack different coverages that defenses are using against them.

'Talking to Ricky (Pearsall) and Xzavier (Henderson) and Shorter, feel like we have a good understanding,' Richardson said. 'We'll see how it goes.'

Accuracy has been an issue for Richardson, who has completed 53.2 percent of his passes (41-77). Last Saturday against USF, Richardson started 7 of 9 passing in the first half before going 3 of 9 in the second half with two interceptions.

'The guy played a really good first half of football,' Florida coach Billy Napier said. 'We ran 25 offensive plays, and he was spot on in the first half. The second half obviously is an area where we need to clean some things up. We ask our quarterback to do a lot, and

See GATORS, Page 4D

Continued from Page 1D

he's managing it well, and he's going to continue to get better.'

Napier said better precision in the passing game will be a point of emphasis this week as the No. 22 Gators prepare for their first road test at the No. 12 Tennessee Volunteers (3:30 p.m., CBS).

'When I say that, I'm talking about protection,' Napier said. 'I'm talking about detail and the steps and depths of the route, the aiming points, and the quarterback progression and decisionmaking. So all 11 players contribute, and I think we need to be more precise and more detailed in that part of our football team.'

Ultimately, though, Richardson gets the most attention in the passing game as the player who delivers the ball. Richardson said for the most part he's satisfied with this throwing mechanics.

'But sometimes in the game I get too happy with my feet,' Richardson said. 'I'm hopping around and moving too quick or moving too slow, and that might affect power or accuracy.'

Richardson has been leaning on mentors inside and outside the building to shake his two-game slump, in which he's completed just 24 of 53 passes with four interceptions. He's talked to UF staff member and fellow Gainesville native Vernell Brown and his former high school coach at Eastside, Cedderick Daniels.

'He felt I wasn't being myself, I wasn't being Anthony, and he said he could see that when I walked out there for warmups,' Richardson said. 'I didn't feel like that until halftime, second quarter, and he already seen it before I did. I thought, dang, that's pretty crazy.'

Even Richardson's mom, LaShawnda Lane, attempted to lift his son's spirits on Sunday night at the dinner table.

'She actually got onto me last night because I was talking about the four interceptions, and she started bringing up all these great quarterbacks and how many interceptions they've thrown,' Richardson said o. 'So my family, my mentors, they help me keep my head on straight.'"

"

Kevin Brockway

As Florida Gators quarterback Anthony Richardson prepares for his first career road start against the Tennessee Volunteers, questions linger as how to get UF's dormant passing game on track.

The Gators (2-1, 0-1 SEC) entered this week ranked last in the SEC in passing offense at 141 yards per game. Richardson has yet to throw a touchdown pass in three games this season.

A chance for UF's elusive first TD pass came Saturday night in the fourth quarter against USF, but Richardson's attempted fade pass to receiver Justin Shorter in the end zone came up short and was intercepted by USF cornerback Aamaris Brown.

'At first it was definitely getting to me because, you're like, bro, you're a quarterback. How come you don't have any passing touchdowns? You have four interceptions,' Richardson said. 'I mean, I'm throwing the ball but just not getting in the end zone.

'So it was affecting me a little bit, but now I'm just like, OK, it's football. It's going to come. I've got to let it come to me. I can't try to force it. I've got to let the game be the game.'

Richardson said the Gators are trying a new tack this week to get the passing game going, joint quarterback- wide receiver film sessions to go over how to attack different coverages that defenses are using against them.

'Talking to Ricky (Pearsall) and Xzavier (Henderson) and Shorter, feel like we have a good understanding,' Richardson said. 'We'll see how it goes.'

Accuracy has been an issue for Richardson, who has completed 53.2 percent of his passes (41-77). Last Saturday against USF, Richardson started 7 of 9 passing in the first half before going 3 of 9 in the second half with two interceptions.

'The guy played a really good first half of football,' Florida coach Billy Napier said. 'We ran 25 offensive plays, and he was spot on in the first half. The second half obviously is an area where we need to clean some things up. We ask our quarterback to do a lot, and

See GATORS, Page 4D

Continued from Page 1D

Napier said better precision in the passing game will be a point of emphasis this week as the No. 22 Gators prepare for their first road test at the No. 12 Tennessee Volunteers (3:30 p.m., CBS).

'When I say that, I'm talking about protection,' Napier said. 'I'm talking about detail and the steps and depths of the route, the aiming points, and the quarterback progression and decisionmaking. So all 11 players contribute, and I think we need to be more precise and more detailed in that part of our football team.'

Ultimately, though, Richardson gets the most attention in the passing game as the player who delivers the ball. Richardson said for the most part he's satisfied with this throwing mechanics.

'But sometimes in the game I get too happy with my feet,' Richardson said. 'I'm hopping around and moving too quick or moving too slow, and that might affect power or accuracy.'

Richardson has been leaning on mentors inside and outside the building to shake his two-game slump, in which he's completed just 24 of 53 passes with four interceptions. He's talked to UF staff member and fellow Gainesville native Vernell Brown and his former high school coach at Eastside, Cedderick Daniels.

'He felt I wasn't being myself, I wasn't being Anthony, and he said he could see that when I walked out there for warmups,' Richardson said. 'I didn't feel like that until halftime, second quarter, and he already seen it before I did. I thought, dang, that's pretty crazy.'

Even Richardson's mom, LaShawnda Lane, attempted to lift his son's spirits on Sunday night at the dinner table.

'She actually got onto me last night because I was talking about the four interceptions, and she started bringing up all these great quarterbacks and how many interceptions they've thrown,' Richardson said o. 'So my family, my mentors, they help me keep my head on straight.'"

As long as we do our jobs, the rest will take care of itself!

''She actually got onto me last night because I was talking about the four interceptions, and she started bringing up all these great quarterbacks and how many interceptions they've thrown,'' Richardson said

When your mother gets on your back about your lack of quality play, you knows you gots some issues!

"

Kevin Brockway

See GATORS, Page 4D

Continued from Page 1D

Sounds like the Gators just confused their offense even more!

"..because, you're like, bro, you're a quarterback. How come you don't have any passing touchdowns? You have four interceptions. I mean, I'm throwing the ball but just not getting in the end zone."

Anthony Richardson

"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."

Nuke LaLoosh

First road start in what could end up being the craziest free-for-all game environment he will ever be a part of.

Good luck.

Technically his first road start. He started vs Georgia in Jax last year, which is about as nutty an environment as there is. He also didn’t technically “start” at LSU last year but played most of the game.

Regardless, not a good situation for a young QB who seems to be swimming mentally right now.

Technically his first road start. He started vs Georgia in Jax last year, which is about as nutty an environment as there is. He also didn’t technically “start” at LSU last year but played most of the game.

Regardless, not a good situation for a young QB who seems to be swimming mentally right now.

What is general overall feeling from UF fans about the game Saturday?

Reactions: Jaws
Back up quarterback Jim LeBow, also number 15 said he is ready to go. Interestingly enough, there is no picture of him in the media guide.

Reactions: tbh and VolDave53
What is general overall feeling from UF fans about the game Saturday?

Not good. Unsure. If the Florida who beat Utah shows up, Florida can win the game.

If the team who played in the second half vs Kentucky and the USF game shows up, Florida will get dragged out the building by their eye sockets.

I think the OL in combination with the RB’s is Florida’s strength, I think the DB’s are the strength on defense. Run defense has been atrocious, pass defense has been good. Run offense has been very good, passing game has been atrocious.

If I had to lay big money or lives on the line, I’d take Tennessee. But would I be completely shocked if Florida won, no.

He sounds like a bit of a headcase right now but I'm sure we will do something stupid early on to give him back all of his confidence from the Utah game and then some.

Reactions: 08Vol
Not good. Unsure. If the Florida who beat Utah shows up, Florida can win the game.

If the team who played in the second half vs Kentucky and the USF game shows up, Florida will get dragged out the building by their eye sockets.

I think the OL in combination with the RB’s is Florida’s strength, I think the DB’s are the strength on defense. Run defense has been atrocious, pass defense has been good. Run offense has been very good, passing game has been atrocious.

If I had to lay big money or lives on the line, I’d take Tennessee. But would I be completely shocked if Florida won, no.
Shocked? ****. I know you wouldnt be. No reason to be whatsoever. I wouldnt be the LEAST bit shocked if we lost by dbl digits. I will bet my mortgage payment that UF plays their best game of the year. Take it to the bank. THIS Vol knows better.

VN Store

Back