Per ESPN, UConn Baylor game cancelled

WACO, Texas – The Baylor women's basketball team began restricting team activities Tuesday after head coach Kim Mulkey tested positive for the COVID-19 virus on Monday. The program and Baylor medical staff are conducting additional COVID-19 testing to determine the length of the program's restricted activity.

Thursday's game with UConn in Waco has been canceled. Further Baylor participation in upcoming contests will be determined by how long the program is restricting activity with safety of the program and its members driving those decisions.

Wishing Kim Mulkey a quick and full recovery.

Probably because she was in contact with the team and they have to quarantine now too.

Concerned it may actually be more serious than that. Her assistant did coach against TCU. So she was either already positive or quarantining. The fact that she wasn’t able to rejoin the team yet likely means she still pretty sick. Also don’t think she would want her assistant coaching against UCONN that’s a huge rivalry game and she’s the heartbeat of her teams. They feed off of Kim’s emotion and competitiveness. If she won’t be available I think it’s perfectly acceptable to cancel. A team needs their coach just as much as they need their players.

Hoping she gets to feeling better.

Concerned it may actually be more serious than that. Her assistant did coach against TCU. So she was either already positive or quarantining. The fact that she wasn’t able to rejoin the team yet likely means she still pretty sick. Also don’t think she would want her assistant coaching against UCONN that’s a huge rivalry game and she’s the heartbeat of her teams. They feed off of Kim’s emotion and competitiveness. If she won’t be available I think it’s perfectly acceptable to cancel. A team needs their coach just as much as they need their players.

Hoping she gets to feeling better.

She tweeted that she's not that sick. She had potential exposure on Christmas, quarantined away from her team and got tested, came back negative, rejoined the team, got retested and it came back positive. That leads me to think that she exposed herself to the team, which is why the game is being cancelled.

She tweeted that she's not that sick. She had potential exposure on Christmas, quarantined away from her team and got tested, came back negative, rejoined the team, got retested and it came back positive. That leads me to think that she exposed herself to the team, which is why the game is being cancelled.

More than likely. That’s the tricky thing about it. Everyone in my unit got it in a very similar way. A team member tested negative twice before returning to work and then fell ill two days later. 10 days later all 7 of us in the unit had it.

I think not having your Hess coach is a perfectly good reason to cancel your game against the #3 team in the country. Maybe that’s just me though...
It has to be covid related. If a coach was sick with the flu or something else, I am sure they wouldn't cancel a game. Heck, Bama was planing on playing when Saban tested positive

So her assistant coaches can't coach when she's not there?
well makes sense to you and me..... but Kim has track record of backing out of commitments if conditions aren't optimal;..... if she has lesser roster, or has CoVid etc...

having said that i wish her full recovery

At this point, I do hope you are joking..
Sorry Madtown. I guess you didn’t get my joke. The poster I replied to said several times that Texas canceled their game with Tennessee because Vic was afraid to play them.

Just a little fun dig back at him.

I didn’t know where to put this, so y’all can do what you want with it, but...

In his media availability today (many questions about the cancellation, obviously), Geno was asked about passing Pat in wins. Thought he gave a pretty eloquent answer that a lot of you might like.

Starts at 7:03.

Reactions: Raebo
So her assistant coaches can't coach when she's not there?
They beat TCU in Ft Worth without her on Saturday and she hasn't been around the program since the return from the holidays. Might be that UConn didn't want to take the chance of catching a cold.

Probably because she was in contact with the team and they have to quarantine now too.
Nope.

Baylor's Kim Mulkey tests positive for COVID-19; UConn game canceled

Mulkey missed Baylor's win Saturday at TCU because of contact tracing after being exposed on Christmas Day to a family member who tested positive.

“I immediately self-quarantined and did not re-join the team when our staff and players came back from our holiday break," Mulkey said in a statement Tuesday. “I produced three negative tests leading up to our game at TCU (on Saturday). However, I decided that it was important to continue quarantining in case the virus took time to come to fruition.”

Reactions: VolBall09
Sorry Madtown. I guess you didn’t get my joke. The poster I replied to said several times that Texas canceled their game with Tennessee because Vic was afraid to play them.

Just a little fun dig back at him.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Nope.

Baylor's Kim Mulkey tests positive for COVID-19; UConn game canceled

Mulkey missed Baylor's win Saturday at TCU because of contact tracing after being exposed on Christmas Day to a family member who tested positive.

“I immediately self-quarantined and did not re-join the team when our staff and players came back from our holiday break," Mulkey said in a statement Tuesday. “I produced three negative tests leading up to our game at TCU (on Saturday). However, I decided that it was important to continue quarantining in case the virus took time to come to fruition.”
Then why, according to the Baylor press release, are they "restricting team activities on Tuesday, after head coach Kim Mulkey tested positive for the COVID- 19 virus on Monday" ?
She must have come in contact with the team in some manner.
Baylor canceled the game.
On edit.
According to the Mechelle Voepel article on ESPN, "When she returned to team activities Monday, which included a COVID-19 test, her results were positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raebo and 1reVOLver

VN Store

Back