Per ESPN recruiting rankings...

And Brandon Kennedy was playing at a very high level by the end of the season in 2019. He was probably our 2nd best OL behind Trey Smith.

If Wanya and Wright improve a bunch in their Sophomore seasons (as is often typical), the OL has potential to be N-A-S-T-Y!

I'm just hoping they turn out to be more like Trey Smith than Drew Richmond.

Will Friend coached 3 linemen grading over 90 and one other at 87, he has done a really good job when given the chance and talent to work with. Adding Mays will only improve the overall line performance.

GBO

And yet they still couldn’t run block. I hope that changes dramatically with the second year for the freshmen. Otherwise they will waste a year of a potentially great line due to lack of adequate coaching.

UT has signed 3 players with a grade of 90 or higher in the last 10 years. Just so happens we will have all 3 of these guys anchoring our OL next year. I anticipate Wright and Morris will take big steps forward and our OL is going to be VERY good.

Trey Smith - ESPN grade 93
Darnell Wright - ESPN grade 91
Wanya Morris - ESPN grade 91
I know we didn’t sign him but adding Cade Mayes this year if waiver gets approved then it will look even better

And yet they still couldn’t run block. I hope that changes dramatically with the second year for the freshmen. Otherwise they will waste a year of a potentially great line due to lack of adequate coaching.

The run blocking actually improved over the course of the season, thus the grades of 90 and above with one at 87. I believe a second year in Chaney's system we will see more improvement, then add Cade Mays to the picture and we have road graders paving the way!

Some of the run game blunders is directly related to JG checking into the wrong play at the line of scrimmage, which was said by CJP.

Will Friend has done a great job and the line will continue to improve.

GBO

The O line is going to be the foundation for our program for years to come.

We got to keep the bigs happy and healthy. I want to see these monsters dominate and keep our QB upright. It’s the only way they can develop good habits and learn to read a defense.

UT has signed 3 players with a grade of 90 or higher in the last 10 years. Just so happens we will have all 3 of these guys anchoring our OL next year. I anticipate Wright and Morris will take big steps forward and our OL is going to be VERY good.

Trey Smith - ESPN grade 93
Darnell Wright - ESPN grade 91
Wanya Morris - ESPN grade 91

Morris S&C since Spring
Wright S&C since July

Both are in position to make great strides with a full season of S&C and training.

Cade Mays looks like his S&C went real well at uga. Check out photo of him and Cooper together and you will see what I mean.

Reactions: bigdaddyh
Yes. So were most of the impact players on last years roster. I hate Butch too, but you can’t say he didn’t bring in talent.
He brought in SOME talent. He didn’t bring in enough talent, banked on a lot of questionable “I know better than everyone else” evals, and didn’t develop the talent he did land.

Reactions: bigdaddyh
According to 247Sports, since 2000, Bryce Brown is the highest rated recruit we have ever signed. That is really all you need to know about these so-called rating services.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
The O should make strinds next year. If they don't, something is wrong. If the D is able to maintain at all without Bituli/Warrior, we should be 1 or 2 games better. If one of the QBs can pass JG early, we'll be cooking with gas.

Bituli will be the guy missed most. Warrior didn't decide to show up until Mid season; and still got burned some.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
I'll take another Eric Gray all day. Don't worry about stars. Identify good talent that also fits your scheme, regardless of star rating.

Gray is a nice scatback. I'd like to see a guy who can PLOW for 6-7 yards when you're in the red zone; the old one two punch.

I'll take another Eric Gray all day. Don't worry about stars. Identify good talent that also fits your scheme, regardless of star rating.

Grey is a good back and I' m happy he's a Vol. But a stronger back that can move the pile not go down after first contact and break a few tackles would be nice too. Five star or not.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Perhaps Sam Pittman will realize his mistake and come here?

Coach Pittman owns property and has stated many times his intent to retire in Arkansas once his coaching days were over. Chaney is on record to saying something similar about Tennessee. These guys can see the end of their labors it seems.

Yes. So were most of the impact players on last years roster. I hate Butch too, but you can’t say he didn’t bring in talent.
Just didn’t develop the talent he had. Case in point...how many guys are lighting it up in the NFL that did t get drafted? Then they get with S/C guys after and develop in to contributors?

VN Store

Back