Penn State Could Leapfrog Ohio State for Rose Bowl Berth, per Report

Doesn’t matter everybody know this year and next will be the last of this conference tie in baloney. Let’s get to the 12 team playoff . The bowls have been nothing but a mess for years . Half the teams show up at full strength the other half are showing up with guys sitting out . GOVOLS !!!!!! Hope we get the 🍊.
I’m ok with any of the bowls just that AAU conference tie in, tie them to the gator bowl instead.

This article quotes what are probably lines in the CFP-Rose Bowl contract that read,

OP article said:
Historically, when the Big Ten champion is unavailable to participate in the Rose Bowl, the game has chosen the next-highest ranked Big Ten team in its place. However, bowl officials are not required to do so, and they can instead opt for a lower-ranked team if the teams are ranked within “several spots of each other,” and that team would create the “best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl game.”
Makes me wonder: does the CFP-Sugar Bowl contract read the same way?

Anyone know?

Because if it does, the the Sugar Bowl could certainly (and probably would, I'd think) select Tennessee over Bama.

This article quotes what are probably lines in the CFP-Rose Bowl contract that read,

Anyone know?

Because if it does, the the Sugar Bowl could certainly (and probably would, I'd think) select Tennessee over Bama.
I'm more concerned about what the Orange says. I don't see why they can't just say Ohio State is supposed to be in the Rose and take Tennessee. If the Buckeyes pass on their tie in bowl they are SOL. The Orange shouldn't have to take them if they shouldn't be available but tried to manipulate things.

I have a nagging suspicion at least one of TCU or USC are going to lose and Ohio State will wind up in the playoff, and then we don't really care whether the Rose Bowl picks Penn State.

I'm more concerned about what the Orange says. I don't see why they can't just say Ohio State is supposed to be in the Rose and take Tennessee. If the Buckeyes pass on their tie in bowl they are SOL. The Orange shouldn't have to take them if they shouldn't be available but tried to manipulate things.
From the SEC website, it appears if the Rose selects PSU, the Orange is bound to take the highest CFP team from the BIG10, SEC or ND.

3) How can a SEC Team be selected to participate in the Orange Bowl?

When the Orange Bowl is not a semifinal game and a SEC team is the highest ranked team by the CFP Selection Committee among the non-champions of the SEC and Big Ten and ranked higher than Notre Dame after the CFP semifinal games have been filled, then that team will participate in the Orange Bowl.

Reactions: BristolVol

Anyone know?

They are required to take the highest CFP team.

From SEC website:

1) Which SEC Team qualifies for the CFP?

The winner of the SEC Championship Game automatically qualifies for a spot in the Sugar Bowl if that team is not selected to participate in the four-team playoff. If the SEC Champion is selected to participate in the four-team playoff it will play in the Peach Bowl or Fiesta Bowl. The next highest-ranked SEC team not in the four-team playoff goes to the Sugar Bowl.

From the SEC website, it appears if the Rose selects PSU, the Orange is bound to take the highest CFP team from the BIG10, SEC or ND.

3) How can a SEC Team be selected to participate in the Orange Bowl?

When the Orange Bowl is not a semifinal game and a SEC team is the highest ranked team by the CFP Selection Committee among the non-champions of the SEC and Big Ten and ranked higher than Notre Dame after the CFP semifinal games have been filled, then that team will participate in the Orange Bowl.
I'm guessing that's not the legal language that the Orange has to go by. That's what I'm curious about.

From the way I have read it, looks like Ohio St doesn’t want the Rose this year and prefers the Orange. Who really wants to see Ohio St play Clemson for the 4th time in 7 years. If this is the case Ohio St should be sent to the Cotton since they are requesting not to be selected by the Rose. I know it doesn’t work like that but the Orange shouldn’t be powerless in selecting their matchup.

Reactions: BristolVol
Thought this was interesting, from the Wiki about the Orange Bowl:
"The ACC team's opponent in a given year will be the highest-ranked available team from the SEC, Big Ten, and Notre Dame, subject to several constraints: the SEC and Big Ten champions are always excluded, and when an SEC and/or Big Ten team qualifies for the College Football Playoff, the next available team would also be excluded from participating in the Orange Bowl due to contractual obligations with the Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl, respectively."
Orange Bowl - Wikipedia

That reads to me like since Michigan is in the playoffs, Ohio State can't participate in the Orange.

If OSU wants to go to Orange Bowl I think they take them and it pushes TN down to the Cotton which would be a let down from the Sugar or Orange. Bama probably has Sugar wrapped up. Hope this does not happen.

Anyone know?

No, Rose Bowl only bowl with Cluster clause.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

This!

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
If OSU wants to go to Orange Bowl I think they take them and it pushes TN down to the Cotton which would be a let down from the Sugar or Orange. Bama probably has Sugar wrapped up. Hope this does not happen.
Can you still turn a Bowl Game down and stay home? Barry Switzer turned down a Fiesta Bowl bid for his 8-4 Oklahoma team in 1983 saying they weren't good enough. Tennessee Coach Josh Heupel could say Tennessee was too decimated with injuries and players sitting out.

Reactions: feathersax

Orange Bowl - Wikipedia

That reads to me like since Michigan is in the playoffs, Ohio State can't participate in the Orange.
The key is the Rose. They have a clause that says they don’t have to pick the highest ranked team if there is another that is reasonably close. The Rose was told by Ohio State that they didn’t want an invitation so the Rose can choose PSU. The Orange would be free to choose either Ohio State or Tennessee. All of this according to Austin Price.

Reactions: ArmchairQB
Can you still turn a Bowl Game down and stay home? Barry Switzer turned down a Fiesta Bowl bid for his 8-4 Oklahoma team in 1983 saying they weren't good enough. Tennessee Coach Josh Heupel could say Tennessee was too decimated with injuries and players sitting out.
Why should Tennessee settle for a 2nd-tier bowl like the Cotton? I'm good with his decision. Penn State is a joke.

Reactions: Jeff Clark

This is my feeling too. If the Buckeyes say no to the Rose Bowl, they should be forced into the Citrus Bowl or Duke's MayoBowl or whatever. They shouldn't get to go to the Orange.

And I sincerely believe we would be every bowl's #1 pick anyway. First 10-win season in a long time; they know Tennessee fans will show up.

The key is the Rose. They have a clause that says they don’t have to pick the highest ranked team if there is another that is reasonably close. The Rose was told by Ohio State that they didn’t want an invitation so the Rose can choose PSU. The Orange would be free to choose either Ohio State or Tennessee. All of this according to Austin Price.
That'd be... interesting. I still hope TCU or USC lose, so it's all moot and OSU goes to the playoffs. If not, then the Rose Bowl needs to show it's not a lap dog and invite OSU anyway and make them turn it down.

The idea that "The Grandaddy of Them All" would willingly not invite the best available Big 10 team, and instead invite a worse Big 10 team, that lost head-to-head against the better Big 10 team, is downright sad.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol

Orange Bowl - Wikipedia

As you Stated: I did not read this the same way but I see where you are coming from.

Big Ten team qualifies for the College Football Playoff, the next available team would also be excluded from participating in the Orange Bowl due to contractual obligations with the Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl, respectively. Also, should a highest-ranked team create a rematch with the ACC team, the Orange Bowl has the option of passing over that team for the next-highest ranked team among the Big Ten, SEC, and Notre Dame, again subject to the noted constraints.

The issue that comes from this is what the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl officials decide to do. They (Rose Bowl) is obligated to offer it to OSU and if they turn it down. The Orange Bowl may or may not choose to follow the same path of offering to OSU. They may not.

This is a joke. I think in the long run OSU decides to accept. Their reasoning for not accepting it is a ploy and does not wash.

Anyone know?

Highest ranked non playoff SEC team to the Sugar Bowl.

giphy.gif

VN Store

Back