Pearl's post game

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
anyone listening?

There is definitely a sound of disgust in his voice and he was actually at a loss for words at one point talking about how a lot of people would probably blame the loss on him for the technical. He then went on to complain about the lack of the jump ball call at the end. After that, he talked about being amazed that Lofton doesn't get any calls when driving to the basket. He was in awe that Lofton did not get one free throw tonight.

I didn't hear the first part of the show but I guess I am a tad surprised in that it seems like Pearl is making excuses. Has he talked about us blowing a 14 point lead and not getting back on defense?

Now he is saying that if more Tennessee fans would have shown up tonight we might could have pulled it out. :blink:

I am not knocking Pearl, I am his biggest fan, but it just doesn't sound like him.

Mark my words...

The lack of support for our basketball team is going to enable another program to lure him away.

Sure, we pile in 20,000 into TBA occasionally, and sure, our attendance has gone up since he arrived. However, the support for our basketball program is not the same. Gotten better, but still not good enough. With as much excitment and energy as he has brought to this University and this program, our fans should be supporting him more. There should not be a conference home game that was not sold out...

Our road attendace is not good but wasn't our home attendance second in the league last year behind Kentucky and in the top 10 nationally? I thought I remember hearing something like that.

Yes, but we do have the largest on campus, basketball-only faciliy in the country. We get alot in there compared to most, but EVERY SINGLE home conference game should be sold out.

I know that is asking for a lot, but I do whatever I can to make it to every single home game, regarless of conference game or not, and I do not think it is too much to ask to ask people to sell out the place.

Mark my words...

The lack of support for our basketball team is going to enable another program to lure him away.

Sure, we pile in 20,000 into TBA occasionally, and sure, our attendance has gone up since he arrived. However, the support for our basketball program is not the same. Gotten better, but still not good enough. With as much excitment and energy as he has brought to this University and this program, our fans should be supporting him more. There should not be a conference home game that was not sold out...

What do you mean by "not enough support"?

I agree that our attendance could be better but it's hard to say we don't support the program as high as our attendance ranks.

Pearl has lost it if he expects Vol fans to flock to Auburn, AL, on a Wednesday night.

I agree that Pearl's tone in the post-game show came across a bit as whiney. Although as emotional a person as he obviously is, it must be difficult for him to be as 'detached' during interviews as some coaches come across. I guess to some degree I prefer his honesty. Although I also think that to some degree the coach has to rise above the complaining -- he has us for that.

Just things like our fans generally do not travel well to away games, as freak said. I realize many of college basketball games are during the work week and people can't, however that doesn't stop fans from major SEC programs like LSU, Florida, and Bama. I list those 4 because I have actually attended our games against those teams in TBA during the week and they had a fairly large, loud following. You do not see that out of Tennessee basketball fans. All we do is sit at home, listen on the radio, expect a win, and when something doesn't go our way, we get on Volnation and complain. While I am guilty of the same things (trust me, I'm not perfect), I do, however, travel to as many away games as I can afford, and I do attend EVERY single home game as long as I do not have prior obligations.

All I am saying is people need to support these kids and this coach like we do the football program if we ever expect Pearl, or any coach for that matter, to take us to where we want to go.

anyone listening?

There is definitely a sound of disgust in his voice and he was actually at a loss for words at one point talking about how a lot of people would probably blame the loss on him for the technical. He then went on to complain about the lack of the jump ball call at the end. After that, he talked about being amazed that Lofton doesn't get any calls when driving to the basket. He was in awe that Lofton did not get one free throw tonight.

I didn't hear the first part of the show but I guess I am a tad surprised in that it seems like Pearl is making excuses. Has he talked about us blowing a 14 point lead and not getting back on defense?

Now he is saying that if more Tennessee fans would have shown up tonight we might could have pulled it out. :blink:

I am not knocking Pearl, I am his biggest fan, but it just doesn't sound like him.

I am a big Pearl fan too, but it probably gets easy to address the fans after the umpteenth win in a row. This is the first period of true adversity he has faced as a head coach. Last season was a season-long party, and I will never forget it. But, the honeymoon is over. Now, go coach us up! :clapping:

I agree that Pearl's tone in the post-game show came across a bit as whiney. Although as emotional a person as he obviously is, it must be difficult for him to be as 'detached' during interviews as some coaches come across. I guess to some degree I prefer his honesty. Although I also think that to some degree the coach has to rise above the complaining -- he has us for that.

:lolabove: He certainly does.

I would take a basketball road trip to Auburn on a Saturday, but not a Wednesday.

One more piece of sour grapes from me: If we successfully defend the last play at Vandy, are we on a 12-game winning streak right now?

He did mention how the team didn't play well to start the second half and took responsibility for that... I didn't hear all of his interview, but he commented on his 'infinite wisdom' (said sarcastically) about the Lofton and Crews not starting the second half situation.

anyone listening?

I just listened to the audio clip on utsports.com and heard nothing about UT fans on the road. It ends with the Lofton discussion. I suppose they edited out those comments.

He did mention how the team didn't play well to start the second half and took responsibility for that... I didn't hear all of his interview, but he commented on his 'infinite wisdom' (said sarcastically) about the Lofton and Crews not starting the second half situation.

Pearl: "Infinite wisdom"...Good, that makes me feel better. I doubt we will see that decision ever again.

I just listened to the audio clip on utsports.com and heard nothing about UT fans on the road. It ends with the Lofton discussion. I suppose they edited out those comments.
Yeah, I'm sure he is just petitioning for more support. I think his point was that the Auburn arena was pretty empty and a group of UT fans could have definitely been heard.

call it an excuse if you want but loften doesnt get any calls when driving to the basket. I also dont fault him for the tech,after that call I would have been thrown out of the game. We just got cold at the wrong time.

How many people did Auburn have there tonight? Something like 4,000? TBA has 17,000 to 19,000 on a slow night. That place is just so freaking huge.

That doesn't mean that the road game attendence couldn't be better, but Tennessee basketball is still lifting off. Sure there's been a whole lot of improvement but at the end of the day, we don't have anything to hang our hat on......YET. So I can understand why people don't feel like going to Auburn on a Wednesday night.

It will come along if everyone is patient. We all knew these young guys would stuggle at the beginning of the year and now they're struggling a little, no need to panic. The basketball program is definitely heading in the right direction.

As for Pearl losing the game for us, it didn't help, but just like any game, there are lots of things contribute to a loss as well as a win.

Good news is, Tennessee still has a great chance to get back on track here. We all know what they're capable of. I think the future is still pretty bright.

Mark my words...

i would love to support the basketball program but
mr, Mike has priced us out!!! alot of the ticket packages go along with football 5,000.00 little steep
for my blood.

I may be the only Vol fan there, but I will make the trip to Oxford next Wednesday (of course my daughter iis in school there).

VN Store

Back