Pearls 2006 Accomplishments

hatvol96

As a college hoops junkie, I'm trying to remember a coach who has completely stunned an entire conference the way Coach Pearl has this year. Tim Floyd took a team picked to finish last his second year at Iowa State and won the Big Eight tournament and Bob Knight won the Big 10 in '88-'89, a year the conference produced 2 Final four teams and the national champion, with a team picked to finish 7th or 8th. Those are the two that come to mind, but I don't think either of those eclipse what Coach Pearl has done. He has resurrected a moribund program and ascended to the top of the league in one year. Often during this season, I've been accused of being negative because I haven't expressed a great deal of confidence in this team. I still think there are some teams that will be seeded 12-15 in the NCAA tournament that would love to draw Tennessee. That said, I can't remember a Tennessee team in my lifetime, in any sport, more deserving of fan support and adoration. I'm flying to Knoxville this weekend specifically to see the Arkansas game. I hope everyone who can shows up. This gritty, never say die bunch deserves to play before a full house.

Well said, don't forget to pack your orange tie for the game on Saturday. It's orange tie day.

Nice thoughts HatVol. It truly is an amazing story. As regards Pearl himself and not necessarily the team, it occured to me last night for the first time that Pearl really reminds me of Jim Valvano.

(hatvol96 @ Feb 23 said:
I still think there are some teams that will be seeded 12-15 in the NCAA tournament that would love to draw Tennessee.

How about a 2seed Tennessee against a 15seed Coastal Carolina? :D

You know the NCAA just loves to play little games like that.

(orange+white=heaven @ Feb 23 said:

o that make me soooooooo happy to destroy buzz....keep it close in the second half and then take the second half by about 40 :dance2: :moon2: :rock:

(orange+white=heaven @ Feb 23 said:

I'll be stunned if Winthrop doesn't win the Big South Tournament.

VN Store

Back