PEARL NAMED FINALIST FOR JIM PHELAN NATIONAL COACH OF THE YEAR AWARD

The 20-member panel, which is chaired by Phelan, is headlined ESPN's Jay Bilas and former University of Kentucky All-American Kyle Macy. All final ballots will be cast by March 12 and the winner will be announced at the 2006 Final Four in Indianapolis, IN.

It's not an ESPN thing, I just don't like Bilas.

Pearl has done a great job this season, and he deserves to be a finalist for National Coach of the Year. The winner, however, will be Roy Williams.

(Vol423 @ Mar 1 said:
Pearl has done a great job this season, and he deserves to be a finalist for National Coach of the Year. The winner, however, will be Roy Williams.

Yeah because it's hard to put up a 19-6 record w/ a bench full of HS all-americans. Lord knows UT had so much more to work with. Some voters are blinded by the Carolina blue. :disappointed:

(Vol423 @ Mar 1 said:
Williams should finish no better than fifth in the voting.

(utvolpj @ Mar 1 said:
Yeah because it's hard to put up a 19-6 record w/ a bench full of HS all-americans. Lord knows UT had so much more to work with. Some voters are blinded by the Carolina blue. :disappointed:

Carolina lost its top 7 scorers from its team last year. That's the highest number of leading scorers that ANY team in ACC history has ever lost in one season. Carolina is playing a ton of freshmen and is still 2nd in the ACC and will be getting the #3 seed in the NCAA tournament that UT had up until about a week ago. In addition, if Carolina beats Duke on Saturday, which is a very distinct possibility, they could very well end up with a #2 seed in the NCAA tournament. Pearl has done a great job this year. Roy Williams has done the best job this year.

(Vol423 @ Mar 1 said:
Carolina lost its top 7 scorers from its team last year. That's the highest number of leading scorers that ANY team in ACC history has ever lost in one season. Carolina is playing a ton of freshmen and is still 2nd in the ACC and will be getting the #3 seed in the NCAA tournament that UT had up until about a week ago. In addition, if Carolina beats Duke on Saturday, which is a very distinct possibility, they could very well end up with a #2 seed in the NCAA tournament. Pearl has done a great job this year. Roy Williams has done the best job this year.
The ACC is pathetic this year. Carolina would be lucky to finish 6th in the Big East. The losses to Virginia and Miami are real impressive also. Tim Floyd took a team picked to finish 9th in the PAC 10 and is 17-10. Also, they blew Carolina out in December. I know, I was there.

Everyone's favorite big-time program apologist, Jay Bilas, is pushing for Bill Self...

(rwemyss @ Mar 1 said:
Everyone's favorite big-time program apologist, Jay Bilas, is pushing for Bill Self...
B Self is one of my boys, but he has about 5 future NBA guys on that team. All they needed was some experience. Further, the Big 12 is even more pathetic than the ACC.

Pearl may not win it but I think that it is crystal clear that he did more, much more than any other coach in D1 with the least amount of talent!!!!!!

No one in the country thought Tennessee would be better than .500. Most would have said that Pearl did a great job had he got the team to the NIT but no he is 20 - 6 and is looking at a 3 or 4 seed in the NCAA.

Pearl rocks.

(Vol423 @ Mar 2 said:
<best Peter Griffin impression> "Hmmmm... I too find it shallow and pedantic." "I find this meal to be rather shallow and pedantic." :biggrin2:

(utvolpj &#064; Mar 1 said:
Yeah because it&#39;s hard to put up a 19-6 record w/ a bench full of HS all-americans. Lord knows UT had so much more to work with. Some voters are blinded by the Carolina blue. :disappointed:

Holler. I hate UNC, and Roy.

BP deffinitly desearves this, I like the Tarheels also, and Roy is a great coach, but the way Pearl has come into this and turned this team into an SEC East Championship, possible 3 seed in the NCAA tourny. What a season it has been.

I would bump Few and Weber in favor of Tim Floyd and Andy Kennedy, otherwise, that is a very accurate list of candidates.

Didn&#39;t want to make a whole thread for this. ESPN&#39;s Forde handing out a little love for The Pearl.....

Coach of the Year: Bruce Pearl, Tennessee. The record (20-6, 11-4) speaks for itself, but how about the psychology behind the record? This was a soft program when Pearl arrived last spring -- indifferent defensively, uninterested in mixing it up inside and always willing to back down against a tough opponent at crunch time. Today, Tennessee is 180 degrees opposite. That&#39;s great work on the mental and physical toughness front.

On behalf of the Coach, Thanks Pat.

EDIT. Just noticed I didn&#39;t mention Forde was talking about in the SEC.

(hatvol96 &#064; Mar 1 said:
The ACC is pathetic this year. Carolina would be lucky to finish 6th in the Big East. The losses to Virginia and Miami are real impressive also. Tim Floyd took a team picked to finish 9th in the PAC 10 and is 17-10. Also, they blew Carolina out in December. I know, I was there.

Just shows you how much this team improved througout the yr..Roy did a great job this yr..but Pearl should get COY.

(NCGatorBait &#064; Mar 3 said:
Just shows you how much this team improved througout the yr..Roy did a great job this yr..but Pearl should get COY.
I would agree Roy has done a good job. He always does, there&#39;s no doubt he&#39;s one of the elite coaches. However, there are probably 10 guys whose accomplishments are more impressive this year.

(hatvol96 &#064; Mar 3 said:
I would agree Roy has done a good job. He always does, there&#39;s no doubt he&#39;s one of the elite coaches. However, there are probably 10 guys whose accomplishments are more impressive this year.

BTW if UNC would finish 6th in the BE..where would USC finish?

(NCGatorBait &#064; Mar 3 said:
BTW if UNC would finish 6th in the BE..where would USC finish?
Honestly, my guess is somewhere around 10-14. Their absolute lack of an inside game would really be exploited in a physical conference. There isn&#39;t a bigger Tim Floyd fan around, but I think they would get eaten alive in the Big East. That&#39;s why I&#39;m so impressed with what Andy Kennedy has done shorthanded at UC.

Roy Williams has done an outstanding job this year. He did lose a lot, but the cupboard wasn&#39;t exactly bare. Should be ACC Coach of The Year. Coach Pearl has taken a team that went 14-17 last year and missed the NIT at a program that hasn&#39;t been to the NCAAT in I guess 5 years, and has them at 20-6(11-4) and likely a Top 4 seed in the NCAAT. He did this with the same team that was horrible last year, only he did it without two of its best players in All-SEC performer Scooter McFadgon and our best player in Brandon Crump.

Bruce Pearl IS the National Coach of the Year and if anyone gets it over him, its only because of bias in the media. No coach in the country has done more with less than Coach Pearl.

Roy Williams or whoever does not deserve it over Bruce Pearl, not this year. However, everybody loves Carolina and Roy Williams, so I would imagine he wins the award and it will the 93% scoring lost stat that people will say justifies the choice. Impressive stat, however, Coach Pearl should be NCOY.

The National Coach of Year just got another BIG win in Cameron indoor tonight. That&#39;s 10 wins in their last 11 games with a freshman leading the way. Roy has the award in the bag.

yeah... Roy probably won it tonight, unfortunately. Must be hard having to play with 7 or 8 McDonald&#39;s All-Americans. I can only imagine how hard it&#39;s been on the guy.

VN Store

Back