PC Graphics card discussion

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Has anyone had any luck finding one recently? Any people to follow or places to check frequently? Anyone else looking or thinking of building a new machine in the near future? What's your ideal hardware right now (within reason)?

My gaming machine is 4+ years old (maybe 5) now and starting to show its age. I have an i7-7700k and a GTX 1080. I really need to update my CPU and I'd love to have a 3070ti or 3080ti. Maybe a 3060ti, but I'm not sure how happy I'd be with it long-term.

I've been debating going ahead and upgrading my motherboard, case, RAM, power supply and CPU, but it seems that a prebuilt might be the only way I get a graphics card. So upgrading anything now could end up being a waste.

What I'd like, ideally, depending on prices -- An all-white build, with orange RGB, because, you know, VOLS. :)

Motherboard: Suggestions?
CPU: i5-12600k
Cooling: Corsair H150i (in white)
Ram: 32 GB DDR5 (maybe?)
Graphics: 3070ti or 3080ti
Power supply: Thoughts on wattage/brand for this build?
Case: Corsair iCUE 5000x or Corsair 5000D (the white version of both)

I'd wait for DDR5 ram and boards to come down in price, personally. I don't know how much a DDR5 setup will affect power consumption, but I still think 850w will suffice. Corsair is my go-to. Seasonic is good also. I've mentioned the 5000d on here a few times before. It's a beautiful case that's very easy to work in.

Reactions: Freak
I’ve got a 3080 but only an i7 7700. Probably a little bottlenecked by it at 3440x1440 but not too bad. Definitely plan on keeping the GPU for another 5 years or so.

Has anyone had any luck finding one recently? Any people to follow or places to check frequently? Anyone else looking or thinking of building a new machine in the near future? What's your ideal hardware right now (within reason)?

My gaming machine is 4+ years old (maybe 5) now and starting to show its age. I have an i7-7700k and a GTX 1080. I really need to update my CPU and I'd love to have a 3070ti or 3080ti. Maybe a 3060ti, but I'm not sure how happy I'd be with it long-term.

I've been debating going ahead and upgrading my motherboard, case, RAM, power supply and CPU, but it seems that a prebuilt might be the only way I get a graphics card. So upgrading anything now could end up being a waste.

What I'd like, ideally, depending on prices -- An all-white build, with orange RGB, because, you know, VOLS. :)

Motherboard: Suggestions?
CPU: i5-12600k
Cooling: Corsair H150i (in white)
Ram: 32 GB DDR5 (maybe?)
Graphics: 3070ti or 3080ti
Power supply: Thoughts on wattage/brand for this build?
Case: Corsair iCUE 5000x or Corsair 5000D (the white version of both)

Good Lord, 32 GB of DDR5? How much do you make from this website? Lol

On a more serious note, RAM is very cheap right now so that’s good (definitely not DDR5 gonna need to give that another 2-3 years). For a power supply, I’d look at the 750-850W range and DEFINITELY get modular. Trust me they are are worth the slight bump in price.

As for a new GPU, I have an EVGA 1070 FTW so I understand your mention that your starting to see its age. I wanted a 3080 so bad, but I have come to terms that I will not get a 3000 series card due to this crappy climate. The 3000 Supers will probably come out very soon and then late next year we will get the 4000 series.

Good Lord, 32 GB of DDR5? How much do you make from this website? Lol

On a more serious note, RAM is very cheap right now so that’s good (definitely not DDR5 gonna need to give that another 2-3 years). For a power supply, I’d look at the 750-850W range and DEFINITELY get modular. Trust me they are are worth the slight bump in price.

As for a new GPU, I have an EVGA 1070 FTW so I understand your mention that your starting to see its age. I wanted a 3080 so bad, but I have come to terms that I will not get a 3000 series card due to this crappy climate. The 3000 Supers will probably come out very soon and then late next year we will get the 4000 series.

That's my ideal build right now, not necessarily what I'll end up with. lol. I could just as easily end up with a Ryzen and a 3070. What I'm able to find dictates a lot of that. If I end up waiting a while, then DDR5 becomes more likely. The thing with the graphics card is I don't want to upgrade unless the performance difference is significant. With the numbers I've seen on the 3060ti, It would probably take at least a 3070 for me to upgrade.

I can still get by with my 1080 for now if I dial the settings back. I honestly think my processor is starting to hold me back more than anything.

What's the expectation from the Supers, performance-wise, any idea?

That's my ideal build right now, not necessarily what I'll end up with. lol. I could just as easily end up with a Ryzen and a 3070. What I'm able to find dictates a lot of that. If I end up waiting a while, then DDR5 becomes more likely. The thing with the graphics card is I don't want to upgrade unless the performance difference is significant. With the numbers I've seen on the 3060ti, It would probably take at least a 3070 for me to upgrade.

I can still get by with my 1080 for now if I dial the settings back. I honestly think my processor is starting to hold me back more than anything.

What's the expectation from the Supers, performance-wise, any idea?

If only I was smart enough to join the EVGA list a long time ago I would probably have my 3080 by now lol. And I agree, even with my 1070 I wouldn’t spend the money on a 3060ti. It just doesn’t add enough for me to justify the price even though it’s on the lower end. Your processor could be doing that. What resolution do you play at? I bought a 5600X almost a year ago now and I’ve been loving it. Although I severely with I could have gotten a 3080 with it though. Quite bummed I haven’t been able to finish my rig upgrade. The GPU is my last upgrade I need to do for a while.

As for the Supers expect the same type of bump as we saw in the 2000 series. Apparently the bump from the 3000 series to the 4000 series is going to be another big one like we saw from the 2000’s to the 3000’s due to moving to 5nm. Hopefully by then we don’t have this scalping problem, but that’s probably a lost hope.

Are you 100% on those cases you listed? If not I know a few others worth looking into.

If only I was smart enough to join the EVGA list a long time ago I would probably have my 3080 by now lol. And I agree, even with my 1070 I wouldn’t spend the money on a 3060ti. It just doesn’t add enough for me to justify the price even though it’s on the lower end. Your processor could be doing that. What resolution do you play at? I bought a 5600X almost a year ago now and I’ve been loving it. Although I severely with I could have gotten a 3080 with it though. Quite bummed I haven’t been able to finish my rig upgrade. The GPU is my last upgrade I need to do for a while.

As for the Supers expect the same type of bump as we saw in the 2000 series. Apparently the bump from the 3000 series to the 4000 series is going to be another big one like we saw from the 2000’s to the 3000’s due to moving to 5nm. Hopefully by then we don’t have this scalping problem, but that’s probably a lost hope.

Are you 100% on those cases you listed? If not I know a few others worth looking into.
I typically play at 1440p but I also have a 1080p monitor if I want to pull more frames.

No, I'm not completely sold on those cases. Those are just a couple that I've come across that seem readily available. I would prefer white, though.

What motherboard do you have?

I was set on Ryzen but I'm now considering the 12th gen Intel. Honestly, I'm probably fine with either.

I typically play at 1440p but I also have a 1080p monitor if I want to pull more frames.

No, I'm not completely sold on those cases. Those are just a couple that I've come across that seem readily available. I would prefer white, though.

What motherboard do you have?

I was set on Ryzen but I'm now considering the 12th gen Intel. Honestly, I'm probably fine with either.

Other cases you should look at that are also at good price points (IMO):

Phanteks p500a
Phanteks p600s
Fractal Deisgn Meshify C
Fractal Design Meshify 2

Those cases offer really good building layouts as well as great airflow (which you still want even with water cooling).

My mono is the ASUS TUF Gaming x570 Pro w/ Wi-Fi 6. Absolutely nobody needs Wi-Fi 6 (yet) unless you already have a Wi-Fi 6 router. I got it because (compared to its brothers) it has upgraded wireless and LAN network components as well as a USB type C for your case’s front panel.

The 12th gen Intel’s look nice. I don’t know how much more powerful they are compared to the 5000 series AMD Ryzen’s, but honestly for me it doesn’t matter. Just give me at least 60Hz at 1440p and I’m happy lol.

Reactions: Freak
Other cases you should look at that are also at good price points (IMO):

Phanteks p500a
Phanteks p600s
Fractal Deisgn Meshify C
Fractal Design Meshify 2

Those cases offer really good building layouts as well as great airflow (which you still want even with water cooling).

My mono is the ASUS TUF Gaming x570 Pro w/ Wi-Fi 6. Absolutely nobody needs Wi-Fi 6 (yet) unless you already have a Wi-Fi 6 router. I got it because (compared to its brothers) it has upgraded wireless and LAN network components as well as a USB type C for your case’s front panel.

The 12th gen Intel’s look nice. I don’t know how much more powerful they are compared to the 5000 series AMD Ryzen’s, but honestly for me it doesn’t matter. Just give me at least 60Hz at 1440p and I’m happy lol.
The MeshC is a nice case. Wish they had done a white interior in the white version. Also, AMD's AM5 chipset is coming next year (supposedly), so the getting may be good on AM4 cpus pretty soon.

Really funny story here.......................I was taking a picture of my build that I recently did (my first one really) and while I was looking at the picture I noticed that I have one of my cooler fans upside down hahaha. Anyway this is my:

3060ti
i7-10700K
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Corsair 3600 64gb RAM
Corsair 4000D Case
Corsair 110HSI Cooler

MYPC.jpg

Reactions: CubsFanTN
Really funny story here.......................I was taking a picture of my build that I recently did (my first one really) and while I was looking at the picture I noticed that I have one of my cooler fans upside down hahaha. Anyway this is my:

3060ti
i7-10700K
Corsair 3600 64gb RAM
Corsair 4000D Case
Corsair 110HSI Cooler

View attachment 416618
Love it. That MSI board is sharp.

Reactions: BearCat204

3060ti
i7-10700K
Corsair 3600 64gb RAM
Corsair 4000D Case
Corsair 110HSI Cooler

View attachment 416618
Nice. 64gb of RAM?

VN Store

Back