Paying players

I agree. My interest in CFB has faded as well. It has more to do with the fact that schools are turning blind eyes to violent criminal activity because they are good at a sport that makes them money. It's the reason pro sports produce violent millionaires at an alarming rate. It's pretty much the only profession that consistently produces violent millionaire criminals.

But they're not more violent than the general populace, right?

...and expanding the playoff, which many want and think is some kind of solution to the problem you're describing, would make it even worse.

If 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 are blowouts, what do you think the outcome of 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc. would be?

I don't think 1 v 8 is gonna be any worse than 1 v 4 and maybe 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 would be good, so who knows. Also gives a great team with a couple losses due to injury more of a chance to make a late run.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
But they're not more violent than the general populace, right?
That comparison really doesn't work. How many millionaires are there? Let's take out the lower class which is responsible for most violent crimes because of their situations. Let's just focus on the wealthy or well off and compare it to that. No one can argue pro sports is the only profession that produces violent millionaire criminals. Why is that? If you are arrested as a pro athlete, there is a 30% chance it's of a violent nature. That's a huge number for such a small amount of people. Anyway, this got off topic.

I'm confused. Why are you assuming that with 4 more spots tOSU doesn't wind up #4 and hosting a first round game?
Because I think the committee might be less inclined to give them that 4 spot as long as they were included in the CFP. The committee doesn’t have the pressure of putting them in as the last team if they can put them in as a 5 . You still get Ohio State Tv ratings without them getting an undeserved seeding. I think with this model it still maintains the relevance of the regular season by punishing that loss to Purdue or to South Carolina, while allowing a very good, disgruntled Ohio State or Georgia to go on the road to prove their worth. It also creates great storylines and matchups at on campus venues that we’ve never seen before.
Something else I think would be helpful would be less time between games. You give Nick Saban a month to prepare and allow his team to get healthy Bama will win nearly every time. You give these teams a week and a half or 2 weeks not everyone is back yet and most of the teams are coming off tough conference title games.

I understand the reluctance of some bc of the recent CFP duds, but I think the more important games played, the better it will be long term.

A lot of you guys don't understand that NCAA football is about to change heavily. The mere fact that these kids can sell their likeness will force some type of re-evaluation of the leagues, conferences, ect. It's already an uneven playing field for schools with big pockets. It's just done in the shadows. When that becomes public instead of under the table, jealousy strikes which draws media attention and ad revenue for said media. Everyone who has a smartphone has an opinion that can be heard and the media loves negativity so they will force this on every headline. Schools with the most marketability will be true dominate teams. Notre Dame, Texas, North Carolina, even UT. Kids will be choosing schools based on how much they can sell themselves at that school.

The business model is about to get crushed.

Very soon some schools will be paying player directly, matter of fact, if a school decided to do it (pay) today... not sure much could be done about it.

Big money college sports is coming to a rapid end or in its present form.

Reactions: hog88
That comparison really doesn't work. How many millionaires are there? Let's take out the lower class which is responsible for most violent crimes because of their situations. Let's just focus on the wealthy or well off and compare it to that. No one can argue pro sports is the only profession that produces violent millionaire criminals. Why is that? If you are arrested as a pro athlete, there is a 30% chance it's of a violent nature. That's a huge number for such a small amount of people. Anyway, this got off topic.

Why does it matter if they are millionaires again?

The size of the group. If anything this locks in the talent disparity and insures Bama and a few others will continually dominate.

Except we have systems where players are paid and there is more parity in all those leagues. Literally all of them. Despite big markets having huge advantages.

Tennessee has crazy amounts of $ and there is no way we'd be a doormat for like 13 of 15 years if it's a pay for play system. $ gives dudes a reason to go places other than Bama. If there is no pay, then of course you go to Bama.

Why does it matter if they are millionaires again?
Because these people shouldn't have the chance to become violent millionaires. Have you not been paying attention? You can trace their violent nature back to college and before. That was the original point. I'm not sure why you want to defend violent criminals. Actually, I do. You, as a fan, just want your favorite team to be good at any cost. You have no real argument, anyway let's hand this thread back to the original topic.

Because these people shouldn't have the chance to become violent millionaires. Have you not been paying attention? You can trace their violent nature back to college and before. That was the original point. I'm not sure why you want to defend violent criminals. Actually, I do. You, as a fan, just want your favorite team to be good at any cost. You have no real argument, anyway let's hand this thread back to the original topic.

Idk what you're talking about, bro. What violent person have I defended?

They're just people. Not all of them are millionaires, as if that matters. Somebody here recently did post that they are less violent than the general populace. Considering many of them come from bad homes and tough socioeconomic backgrounds, I'd say that's a noteworthy result. Idk if it's envy or jealousy driving your hate but it's kind of silly to be harping on this.

Reactions: volfanhill
Except we have systems where players are paid and there is more parity in all those leagues. Literally all of them. Despite big markets having huge advantages.

Tennessee has crazy amounts of $ and there is no way we'd be a doormat for like 13 of 15 years if it's a pay for play system. $ gives dudes a reason to go places other than Bama. If there is no pay, then of course you go to Bama.
While I appreciate you’re point, I think you’re making a false equivalency here.

Aside from Jersey sales, Image and likeness is not controlled by the pros.

Idk what you're talking about, bro. What violent person have I defended?

They're just people. Not all of them are millionaires, as if that matters. Somebody here recently did post that they are less violent than the general populace. Considering many of them come from bad homes and tough socioeconomic backgrounds, I'd say that's a noteworthy result. Idk if it's envy or jealousy driving your hate but it's kind of silly to be harping on this.
I wasn't harping, I was responding to you trying to poke holes in the fact that professional sports is the only profession that consistently produces violent millionaire criminals. Colleges cover up and ignore these acts because they make money from them. Facts are facts. That can be stopped at the college level. Heck, just compare athletes in sports that don't make much money. They aren't filled with such a high violence because they don't even get a chance because of character. Well, because colleges won't put up with it unless they make money from them. My last response, let this get back on topic.

Last edited:
While I appreciate you’re point, I think you’re making a false equivalency here.

Aside from Jersey sales, Image and likeness is not controlled by the pros.

But we're talking about college players making $ off their likeness, are we not? Why does it matter how the pros have structured their pay? It's irrelevant.

It’s not irrelevant when YOU made the comparison.

I have no idea what your point is. It's a false equivalency because the pros don't make money off likeness, except they do in certain ways? Makes no sense.

You're not selling jerseys if you're the 15th best player at Bama but that same guy would be the 2nd best player at Arkansas, and selling jerseys...so that guy is more likely to choose another school.

I have no idea what your point is. It's a false equivalency because the pros don't make money off likeness, except they do in certain ways? Makes no sense.

You're not selling jerseys if your the 15th best player at Bama but that same guy would be the 2nd best player at Arkansas, and selling jerseys...so that guy is more likely to choose another school.

My point was this,,

“And what you’re going to find out with this new image rights thing is they’re still nobodies. It will be the haves and have nots.”

You had implied that more would benefit. I don’t agree, and I haven’t seen a spec of proof.

My point was this,,

“And what you’re going to find out with this new image rights thing is they’re still nobodies. It will be the haves and have nots.”

You had implied that more would benefit. I don’t agree, and I haven’t seen a spec of proof.

If nobody would make $, then what's the problem, lol? You really think Lofton wouldn't benefit? I would have had his jersey

It's odd to see people hating on the players for this.

The players didn't make the previous rules and they didn't make the new rules.

We think it's smart when certain politicians use the tax laws not to pay taxes because they're just following the rules others made but the players are bad for likely following rules that financially benefit them.

Hypocrites.

It's odd to see people hating on the players for this.

The players didn't make the previous rules and they didn't make the new rules.

We think it's smart when certain politicians use the tax laws not to pay taxes because they're just following the rules others made but the players are bad for likely following rules that financially benefit them.

Hypocrites.
I wonder how schools will handle the payments? Does a transfer mean the new school has to buy out the old? Can it be terminated with causes? Will grades be tied to it? Must make a 3.0 to get full amount? Is it one big check or monthly? How do injuries start getting handled? If it's just likeness does the school pay, or whoever the advertiser is?

But this way it won't be the NCAA restricting them from even making an attempt while everyone around them makes millions.

I have bad news for the 3d-string reserve defensive back from Eastern Nevada State.

I wonder how schools will handle the payments? Does a transfer mean the new school has to buy out the old? Can it be terminated with causes? Will grades be tied to it? Must make a 3.0 to get full amount? Is it one big check or monthly? How do injuries start getting handled? If it's just likeness does the school pay, or whoever the advertiser is?

As a generalization the schools are not responsible for the commerce or payments, although each State is passing different statutory structure as to some of this. Most (generally) of these statutes are dealing with stopping the schools from interfering with commerce between the player and third parties. There are plenty of problems with what some of these States are doing but in the end it will reach the objective i.e. destroy the current racket.

Its hard to see how the schools can play a hand or let alone a winning one at this point but we will see how the next few weeks play out. If I were to guess is the NCAA offers some type of useless guidance like, "each school is responsible for following state law". And that's it. LOL

If a schools did want to pay, not sure there is much that could be done to stop them at this point though.

As a generalization the schools are not responsible for the commerce or payments, although each State is passing different statutory structure as to some of this. Most (generally) of these statutes are dealing with stopping the schools from interfering with commerce between the player and third parties. There are plenty of problems with what some of these States are doing but in the end it will reach the objective i.e. destroy the current racket.

Its hard to see how the schools can play a hand or let alone a winning one at this point but we will see how the next few weeks play out. If I were to guess is the NCAA offers some type of useless guidance like, "each school is responsible for following state law". And that's it. LOL

If a schools did want to pay, not sure there is much that could be done to stop them at this point though.
I was thinking with the NLIs the schools would have to pay for airing games, or practices, or any other advertising they do.

Anybody see today that the senate introduced a bill to make college athletes into employees of their schools? Not sure if it has a chance of passing or not, but will be interesting to see what changes this might lead to.

VN Store

Back