Pats Legacy

I have a theory as to why she (anyone) lowers the head like that, (Part of my book..)
like a lion on the prowl. . . When you lower your head you take away from your upper peripheral vision, thus eliminating distractions. Lowering you head forward allows you to eliminate everything and focus on the target and it's movement.

I do this when I am on lock-down defense...I look from belly-button to floor,,bc you've got to go- where your hips go.
I don't even see a face.

I have gone back on forth on Holly's time as coach. I've seen some great players come through who failed to live up to expectations. I've seen some great performances followed by games that would make JUCO teams shake their heads. I've seen a large fan base drift into a fair amount of bickering and some of the theatre has been a little overly dramatic.

Out of curiosity, what do people think the reaction would have been if Holly hadn't been hired as coach after Pat? Let's pretend Pat wanted her to have the job and the school decided to go with someone else. I think there would have been a shocked, disappointed reaction from almost all of the current and former players, long time fans and the women's basketball world. I doubt anyone at UT knew the transition would happen when it did and under the eventual circumstances. There would have been a big outcry that may have been squelched somewhat by winning games that may or may not have been won under the non Warlick coaching staff.

That what if situation doesn't mean Holly should be off the hook. This is her program and she's been mediocre handling it so far given how it is still one of the most supported, followed, and recognized teams in the women's basketball world (which is small but still larger than when Pat Summitt was winning her titles). UConn will one day experience what UT has been going through. So will Duke men's basketball, Alabama football and all good things eventually come to an end.

I have gone back on forth on Holly's time as coach. I've seen some great players come through who failed to live up to expectations. I've seen some great performances followed by games that would make JUCO teams shake their heads. I've seen a large fan base drift into a fair amount of bickering and some of the theatre has been a little overly dramatic.

Out of curiosity, what do people think the reaction would have been if Holly hadn't been hired as coach after Pat? Let's pretend Pat wanted her to have the job and the school decided to go with someone else. I think there would have been a shocked, disappointed reaction from almost all of the current and former players, long time fans and the women's basketball world. I doubt anyone at UT knew the transition would happen when it did and under the eventual circumstances. There would have been a big outcry that may have been squelched somewhat by winning games that may or may not have been won under the non Warlick coaching staff.

That what if situation doesn't mean Holly should be off the hook. This is her program and she's been mediocre handling it so far given how it is still one of the most supported, followed, and recognized teams in the women's basketball world (which is small but still larger than when Pat Summitt was winning her titles). UConn will one day experience what UT has been going through. So will Duke men's basketball, Alabama football and all good things eventually come to an end.

For me it isn't the original decision. To not let Holly have that spot would have been dead wrong. But to keep her there with a declining program would be equally wrong.

For me as a coach, CHW will win my full unyielding support, when she consistently wins "coaching" matchups...Not just "games"...Heck, Butch Jones could jump over with the rosters we have and win more than he loses with no BB coaching experience...

This is the U of T
It's top 2-3 in the SEC, top 6-10 in the country or you've underachieved.

Reactions: Undercovervol

To be honest, I don’t think CHW did anything to EARN the position of head coach of the LVs. She was handed that position by someone with dementia. It’s sad, but in my mind, true. Being a good assistant does not make a great head coach. I wish the admin had fired Warlick much earlier.

Reactions: mcannon1
To be honest, I don’t think CHW did anything to EARN the position of head coach of the LVs. She was handed that position by someone with dementia. It’s sad, but in my mind, true. Being a good assistant does not make a great head coach. I wish the admin had fired Warlick much earlier.

I don't wish that, But I would have liked to see a more ardent interest in what was transpiring.

But I also have to look at what I see and what I see is CHW's program not going after a top recruit just because they are a top tenner,,they seem to be going after a the type athlete that they work best with....Much smarter.

And I predict a better deep-season outcome. The thing is though, CHW has to hold her end of the bargain and improve as a coach-v-coach coach and "game"-coach as well.

Reactions: Undercovervol
But, the underlying complaint is that the LVs are no longer final 4 regulars as they once had been. But that slippage began under CPS whose talented "baby vol" class never managed to accomplish that goal. We will never know for sure, whether CPS's illness was starting to impact her coaching capacities at that point. But, it was becoming clear that the women's game was changing and that some aspects of the CPS 's formula (defense and rebounding win championships) were losing out to more innovative offensive schemes.

It absolutely impacted her coaching decisions ahead of the last few years. I had both family and friends with tickets who commented on how she seemed "out of it" in 2009 and 2010 - she wasn't reacting to changing situations on the court, didn't seem to get "worked up" about things that traditionally bothered her, so on. Especially end of game situations where Pat was normally in complete command; she seemed uncertain when talking to people on the sidelines. And, I mean, it's anecdotal comments sure, but after 15 years of watching her coach 14-18 games a year, I figure folks such as them had a finely developed sixth sense about irregularities in behavior.

That said, I don't think it was clear Pat was losing out. Her teams won two titles 3 years prior to retiring due to progressing Alzheimer's. And if she had been in command of her capacities I _have_ to think those last rosters would have made the Final Four a few more times.

I have a theory as to why she (anyone) lowers the head like that, (Part of my book..)
like a lion on the prowl. . . When you lower your head you take away from your upper peripheral vision, thus eliminating distractions. Lowering you head forward allows you to eliminate everything and focus on the target and it's movement.

I do this when I am on lock-down defense...I look from belly-button to floor,,bc you've got to go- where your hips go.
I don't even see a face.
Before being saved I would do this while drinking too much

Yes Pat insisted on Holly for that position.... but at that time and since then anywhere along the way..... the athletic dept. bears responsibility for situation that has ended up as it is now

VN Store

Back