Pats Legacy

Rickster

VFL
I posted this in another thread but wanted to get it out in the open so the subject could be discussed on its own merits seeing how the subject comes up often.

I keep seeing Nega posters write about how Holly is destroying Pats legacy or how Holly is tearing down what Pat built.

The only people who diminish her accomplishments are the detractors of the program she built. Think about that for a minute. Negas believe the success of her replacement somehow demeans what she did or what she accomplished. That’s stupid thinking on a whole new level. If you want to diss Holly, don’t use Pat. I’m sure she would not appreciate you using what she did to justify your own opinion.

Pats legacy will be always be alive and well as long as people remember her and her accomplishments. If you are truly Lady Vol fans, you will stop trying to cheapen Pat and her accomplishments. It has no place in a Lady Vol forum or in life.

People need to realize that there was only one "Pat". We may never see the Lady Vols at the same level Pat had them. If fans require that other coaches coach at the same level as Pat they are going to be more disappointed than not. Pat was special.....we cannot expect every Lady Vols coach be a "Pat Summitt".

People need to realize that there was only one "Pat". We may never see the Lady Vols at the same level Pat had them. If fans require that other coaches coach at the same level as Pat they are going to be more disappointed than not. Pat was special.....we cannot expect every Lady Vols coach be a "Pat Summitt".

We understand that, nobody wants Holly to coach like Pat. Holly is just coaching like a division 4 coach, bringing star players to her level is what the problem is.

I posted this in another thread but wanted to get it out in the open so the subject could be discussed on its own merits seeing how the subject comes up often.

I keep seeing Nega posters write about how Holly is destroying Pats legacy or how Holly is tearing down what Pat built.

The only people who diminish her accomplishments are the detractors of the program she built. Think about that for a minute. Negas believe the success of her replacement somehow demeans what she did or what she accomplished. That’s stupid thinking on a whole new level. If you want to diss Holly, don’t use Pat. I’m sure she would not appreciate you using what she did to justify your own opinion.

Pats legacy will be always be alive and well as long as people remember her and her accomplishments. If you are truly Lady Vol fans, you will stop trying to cheapen Pat and her accomplishments. It has no place in a Lady Vol forum or in life.

Many people give their opinions in a negative way, which is unfortunate. However, expressing an opinion that might be different than yours is okay. I, for one, am very disappointed that we no longer occupy the talk about elite teams. Another thing, I truly believe Pat would not be happy with the ultimate PERFORMANCE and RESULTS on the court. By giving an opinion on the state of the program, I am not trying to cheapen Pat. Me, and others, are expressing a basic feeling on what we think. Doing that in a constructive way is a good thing.

Sorry, completely disagree. Part of honoring a legacy is to hold the program Summitt built to a high standard that she herself held for the program and its players. Warlick continues to produce teams and players that underperform in relation to those standards. I will certainly “detract” a program that isn’t meeting expectations instead of silently sitting by and watching it fall into averageness! How is it that you see yourself honoring a legacy when you willingly participate in its continued downward trend?

Sorry, completely disagree. Part of honoring a legacy is to hold the program Summitt built to a high standard that she herself held for the program and its players. Warlick continues to produce teams and players that underperform in relation to those standards. I will certainly “detract” a program that isn’t meeting expectations instead of silently sitting by and watching it fall into averageness! How is it that you see yourself honoring a legacy when you willingly participate in its continued downward trend?

Well, I guess I will agree to completely disagree with you.

Thanks SV1. I have a quick jaunt in for Christmas week then back over here. As much as I would like, it’s not looking like I will make it to a game this year.

I have seen one of those up close, I think I would have just spontaneously combusted.

200.gif

Pats stare would have scared me much worse even though with this guy, I would know I was just about to get my butt kicked.

For old timers and hardcore sports fans, ever hear of Vince Lombardi who won the first 2 superbowls and several NFL titles before the merger? After Lombardi, the packers went into a 30 year tale spin before re-emerging as a powerhouse Mike Holgrem and Brett Favre. Somehow, Lombardi's legacy survived.

The LA Lakers have, until this year, not been a relevant team for the last 5 seasons but people still celebrate the Showtime Lakers and the Phil Jackson's three-peaters.

Pat Summitt's legacy is unassailable.

But, the underlying complaint is that the LVs are no longer final 4 regulars as they once had been. But that slippage began under CPS whose talented "baby vol" class never managed to accomplish that goal. We will never know for sure, whether CPS's illness was starting to impact her coaching capacities at that point. But, it was becoming clear that the women's game was changing and that some aspects of the CPS 's formula (defense and rebounding win championships) were losing out to more innovative offensive schemes. I remember watching one of CPS's locker room talks which was broadcast at half-time, when the LVs were having a very poor outing. CPS pulled out her, by then, almost cliche, "think about all those fans who have come out to see you!" I remember thinking that line has to have lost its motivational force after you have heard it ten times and have grown in up in a world where women athletes aren't grateful to have any fans (as in the early days of the women's game).

Innovation is needed in all facets of coaching, including motivational rationales.

I would assume that in the non-televised portion of her talk, the coaching staff gave the players more tactical advice but floor coaching and in game adjustments, never was a strength of the LVs program.

The reality is that the LVs had fallen out of the top tier before Holly took over. Her first three years were an improvement over the immediate past but the team has slipped below that level of performance.

To me, it is clear that the Holly's three year extension is a kind of probationary period. I think she has this year and probably next year to show significant improvement over her prior two seasons (I continue to believe that he recent recruiting success are a big reason for this extension).

I am not sure where the cut-off line would be but another mid-conference finish and an early tournament exist could potentially lead to a sooner than later coaching change.

However, I continue to think optimistically and hope that the LVs find their mojo and EXCEED expectations this season.

Whether I (or any fan) hopes for the best or the worst, it makes no tangible difference in the real world but I would suggest that hoping for the best and trying to find silver linings makes for a more enjoyable fan experience.

Last edited:
I was the recipient of a Pat stare down in 2010. It was epic. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, though.
I had a friend on the Lady Vols back in the 80's. Went to a couple of practices to watch...almost ran away in terror when some wrong spacing to place on practice sets. Didn't go back.

orangefloyd - you have on occasion come down on football boarders who are similarly negative as in support Tennessee or get your azz out. Many of us would agree with your sentiments. Football legacies have changed since the last time UT football was number 1. We all want our teams to perform better.

Our redundant complaints us those who drop in to complain in a hot minute , not discuss, not add information, just negatively vent and our response is similar to yours either support the LVs or go elsewhere to be heard, thanks,

And as an older person - a few of us received a Pat strong look when we were whispering too loud while watching a practice. I'm a quick learner. I also got a positive smile when I was heard from the fourth row by a referee "three seconds" (our seats were behind the bench).

Reactions: Bennessee01
Pat's legacy is cemented. Nothing can change that. What has changed is the Lady Vols Basketball legacy since. Holly hasn't been able to maintain the excellence that Pat established but I don't know of many that could. There are a handful maybe, but I won't mention any names out of respect for Pat. Hire the right coach and the Lady Vols can return to glory.

Pat legacy will never be about x and o's or wins or losses, they were the bypoduct, it will always be the 30 plus years of 100 percent graduation rate and empowering woman, young ladies to aspire to be or do great things on and off the court, be great human beings, role models and leaders.

Pat's legacy is woman excellence and leadership, basketball was the tool she used to empower young girls to be better or the best version on themselves.

And her commitment to the development and growth of young ladies led to her being the greatest women's basketball coach of all time.

Woman Excellence + Leadership = Pat Summitt

Last edited:
Pat legacy will never be about x and o's or wins or losses, they were the bypoduct, it will always be the 30 plus years of 100 percent graduation rate and empowering woman, young ladies to aspire to be or do great things on and off the court, be great human beings, role models and leaders.

Pat's legacy is woman excellence and leadership, basketball was the tool she used to empower young girls to be better or the best version on themselves.

And her commitment to the development and growth of young ladies led to her being the greatest women's basketball coach of all time.

Woman Excellence + Leadership = Pat Summitt

Finally a post I can agree with top to bottom.
I hope you had the experience of meeting her.
I met her during the years that the SEC tourney was at Chattanooga. (I grew up near there).
Went back to college at UTC in 94-98.
(Matched up with T.O. on the court a few times).
Interned in the SEC tourney.

Pat said, (and I am a direct quote)...
"I'll coach anything but passion. If I have to teach you to love my game, I don't want you".
She may have said other things people say she says, but this one I heard.
I gave the SEC guide signed pic of her to a prodigy....sigh

Pat's stare was one of an Alpha.
It says, ""I will deal with you,,,,,,,Don't even consider that this is over.!""

A true Alpha feels when they walk into a room, everybody there, knows they came in.
Pat entered courts like that.
Women, AND men, alike....True Alpha's are rare.

Reactions: Rickster
Pat's legacy is cemented. Nothing can change that. What has changed is the Lady Vols Basketball legacy since. Holly hasn't been able to maintain the excellence that Pat established but I don't know of many that could. There are a handful maybe, but I won't mention any names out of respect for Pat. Hire the right coach and the Lady Vols can return to glory.

Thats my point as well. Todays legacy is being created by someone else. A person cannot rightfully say current events reflect on Pats legacy. Pat is not present to defend against those allegations. P4L said it best. Pats legacy goes much further than the outcome of a game. She and her accomplishments deserve to be celebrated and not used by disgruntled fans to belittle a protégé. Use the accomplishments of the person you want to shame if a poster feels compelled to do so. Every (EVERY) coach is going to come up short when compared to Pat when the complete body of work is examined.

VN Store

Back