"Patience is for losers."

Unreasonable patience is for losers but recognizing context and progress and patiently waiting for the payout is not. For example, Vitello went 29-17 in year one (2018) after Serrano went 29-27 in 2016 and 27-25 in 2017. So, there wasn’t a drastic change record wise in Serrano’s first year and Vitello’s second year wasn’t all that different than some of Serrano’s years. This is Vitello’s fourth year and UT is in the College World Series but he did not inherit the dumpster fire that is UT football. Similarly, Barnes was not immediately successful here and he’s crushing it now.
The point being is that demonstrable progress from the first year and beyond should be the expectation - that’s the no patience part - but top end performance year one or two (or three or four) depending on context isn’t having the patience of losers.

Barnes is “crushing it”?
What is it that you call what Barnes is doing in Knoxville for UT basketball if not crushing it? Some of you fail to remember UT basketball pre-Pearl or even in between Pearl and Barnes.
Barnes, in 2017-18, went 26-9 and guided the team to a regular season SEC co-champions and Sweet Sixteen finish and then, in 2018-19, went 31-6 and guided the team to a regular season SEC runner-up finish and then two pandemic kinked seasons with an unfortunate first round flameout this year and Barnes reeling in top five recruiting classes with UT a team firmly embedded in the ten or so teams that could reasonably win a national title in the next five years. So, yes, I think that’s crushing it.

What is it that you call what Barnes is doing in Knoxville for UT basketball if not crushing it? Some of you fail to remember UT basketball pre-Pearl or even in between Pearl and Barnes.
Barnes, in 2017-18, went 26-9 and guided the team to a regular season SEC co-champions and Sweet Sixteen finish and then, in 2018-19, went 31-6 and guided the team to a regular season SEC runner-up finish and then two pandemic kinked seasons with an unfortunate first round flameout this year and Barnes reeling in top five recruiting classes with UT a team firmly embedded in the ten or so teams that could reasonably win a national title in the next five years. So, yes, I think that’s crushing it.

We are literally on the CBB map since Barnes got grounded here. We went out and spent a lotta money on a proven hire finally. And it's paying off. Best chance to deliver a Final Four run that I've seen in my lifetime. And Mears was in my lifetime.
Pearl was simply phenomenal here too, but ya know what happened there. Barnes is crushing it. Yes.

You said “crushing it”. You didn’t say “crushing it compared to Buzz Peterson or Cuonzo Martin”.

Every team that has made the tourney under him has underperformed in the tourney. The 2019 team crapped away both the regular season SEC and SECT championships.

I think he has had a great season, and a good season. Every other season has been meh to bad. Two pandemic seasons? What were you expecting in 2020? An NIT run? We weren’t making the tourney in 2020. Also I don’t see how COVID affected any success this season so no idea why you’re using that as an excuse.

You should probably pump the brakes on any NC talk. Barnes has one FF appearance, nearly 20 years ago at Texas. His teams at Texas and Tennessee have underperformed in the tourney on a consistent basis. I’m not saying he’s doing poorly, but you can say he’s doing a pretty good job and be thankful we have him and not some scrub like Cuonzo without hyperbolic statements like “crushing it”. If you want a S16 coach — which isn’t bad in the slightest — with a now FF salary, Barnes is your guy.

Unreasonable patience is for losers but recognizing context and progress and patiently waiting for the payout is not. For example, Vitello went 29-17 in year one (2018) after Serrano went 29-27 in 2016 and 27-25 in 2017. So, there wasn’t a drastic change record wise in Serrano’s first year and Vitello’s second year wasn’t all that different than some of Serrano’s years. This is Vitello’s fourth year and UT is in the College World Series but he did not inherit the dumpster fire that is UT football. Similarly, Barnes was not immediately successful here and he’s crushing it now.
The point being is that demonstrable progress from the first year and beyond should be the expectation - that’s the no patience part - but top end performance year one or two (or three or four) depending on context isn’t having the patience of losers.

Vitello is a Pearl clone in that he has gotten the Tennessee fan base excited about baseball while being personable at the same time.

The thing with Barnes is he will get us in the tournament each year and that gives us a chance like every other tournament team to win it all. It's about consistently getting to the tournament year in and year out. The more chances we get to the tournament the more chances we have to win it all. Just think how many times KY has been in the tournament and they still only have 8 championships.

You said “crushing it”. You didn’t say “crushing it compared to Buzz Peterson or Cuonzo Martin”.

Every team that has made the tourney under him has underperformed in the tourney. The 2019 team crapped away both the regular season SEC and SECT championships.

I think he has had a great season, and a good season. Every other season has been meh to bad. Two pandemic seasons? What were you expecting in 2020? An NIT run? We weren’t making the tourney in 2020. Also I don’t see how COVID affected any success this season so no idea why you’re using that as an excuse.

You should probably pump the brakes on any NC talk. Barnes has one FF appearance, nearly 20 years ago at Texas. His teams at Texas and Tennessee have underperformed in the tourney on a consistent basis. I’m not saying he’s doing poorly, but you can say he’s doing a pretty good job and be thankful we have him and not some scrub like Cuonzo without hyperbolic statements like “crushing it”. If you want a S16 coach — which isn’t bad in the slightest — with a now FF salary, Barnes is your guy.
It's called perspective.

ok, EEyore, if you won the lotto you'd complain about the taxes.

freaking take a lap

note to all Debbie Downers - all of you fall in line behind this dude

can't see the forest for the trees

give me a minute and i'll have some more thoughtful cliches to share

ok, EEyore, if you won the lotto you'd complain about the taxes.

freaking take a lap

note to all Debbie Downers - all of you fall in line behind this dude

can't see the forest for the trees

give me a minute and i'll have some more thoughtful cliches to share
I'll wait, it's entertaining. ;)

Thank you Professor

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Crushing it in recruiting , YES. In winning with better talent, remains to be seen.

VN Store

Back