Path to a bowl game

No I haven’t been sniffing glue, drinking moonshine or smoking crack. I truly believe if we continue our game by game improvement on the same trajectory as from game 1 to game 2 that we can win 6 games.

JG has to play better...not lights out, just better. Simplify his reads. Two reads for every pass play and then check down or run. OL needs to continue to improve. BYU was a big step in right direction but they need to establish a starting 5 this week to start building chemistry and cohesiveness. Our defensive leader Bituli comes back and adds stability to the defense and the freshmen studs need to keep growing and learning. Defense MUST generate turnovers! Coaching...I really liked Pruitt’s comments today to the Touchdown club despite the out of context Titanic comment. He seems to be circling the wagons and I think the players will respond.

If this occurs, like I think it will...we can find 6 wins.

1. UTC
2. South Carolina
3. UAB
4. MS State or Missouri
5. Kentucky
6. Vandy

If you don’t agree that’s fine. No need to respond and say and say so. I know I’m in the minority. Honestly I’m most worried about the JG aspect. He has to play better but I still believe in this team and by damn it feels a lot better to have hope each Saturday.

It's a little sad that people (probably same people that had us 9-3) keep throwing this crap out there. It's like you enjoy getting kicked in the nuts over and over and over...

We did not improve. It was an illusion because BYU is not very good. Get that in your head and lay off the glue.

Don't know why you think Y is a bad team. They came very close to beating an excellent Utah team. Their line is huge, see how they handled that push in the winning TD drive?
Their young talent is only going to get better.

I expect things to change for UT. They played well for the most part Saturday and will only get better, also. I see 6-6 record, since SECe is very weak.

Reactions: MAD
Oh, for the days when UT would line up and take care of business on the field on a consistent basis. Now we have to depend on most of our opponents being as weak as left-over dishwater just so we might make some insignificant bowl. By the way, JG's problems are ingrained; it will take almost 24/7 coaching to make a dent.

By the way, I understand Pruitt went all out with his 'coach speak' yesterday at the QB Club luncheon. He had about 250 attendees slobbering in their iced tea; this was after he received a standing ovation as he made his grand entrance into the room. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: sona and MAD
It's a little sad that people (probably same people that had us 9-3) keep throwing this crap out there. It's like you enjoy getting kicked in the nuts over and over and over...

Regardless of reality, optimism (blind or not) and hope are far better than wallowing in self pity and misery.

Who would you rather be around, the always pissed off and irritated downer, or the guy who just keeps on getting up and saying I'm gonna keep on keeping on.....

Maybe because I'm a life long Bengals fan that I am able to take the kicks in the nuts over and over, but, that doesn't change the fact that I still keep hoping it will get better, if it doesn't, oh well, it's football, and a game, and no matter how much I love it, it doesn't make my life really any better or worse than it is if we win or lose. Winning is better, but, I'll keep on keeping on with my Vols and Bengals regardless.

For anyone who says UT football truly ruins your life, you need to re-evaluate your life and priorities.

GO VOLS.

I don't think we have the depth... odds are this is going to be a really bad year-- possibly our worst in history.

The upside is that, if we do make a bowl game, we'll have a fairly strong SEC finish. But it would take massive improvement from our young guys and no injuries this season.

No I haven’t been sniffing glue, drinking moonshine or smoking crack. I truly believe if we continue our game by game improvement on the same trajectory as from game 1 to game 2 that we can win 6 games.

JG has to play better...not lights out, just better. Simplify his reads. Two reads for every pass play and then check down or run. OL needs to continue to improve. BYU was a big step in right direction but they need to establish a starting 5 this week to start building chemistry and cohesiveness. Our defensive leader Bituli comes back and adds stability to the defense and the freshmen studs need to keep growing and learning. Defense MUST generate turnovers! Coaching...I really liked Pruitt’s comments today to the Touchdown club despite the out of context Titanic comment. He seems to be circling the wagons and I think the players will respond.

If this occurs, like I think it will...we can find 6 wins.

1. UTC
2. South Carolina
3. UAB
4. MS State or Missouri
5. Kentucky
6. Vandy

If you don’t agree that’s fine. No need to respond and say and say so. I know I’m in the minority. Honestly I’m most worried about the JG aspect. He has to play better but I still believe in this team and by damn it feels a lot better to have hope each Saturday.
LSD?

The only path that gets us to a bowl game is through clemson where we pick up the guys who should have been Vols like Lawrence, Rogers, and Higgins. Might grab a couple of DL and OL on the sly while we're there. Short of that, our ceiling is probably 4-5 wins.

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and MAD
IMG_1683.jpg

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and MAD
The most interesting thing Pruitt said today at his presser is about the defense.
He basically said we lost the first two games because the defense didn’t have enough quality depth to overcome losing Gooden, Buchanan, Bituli, and Thompson.
While that's true, he knows damn well JG's play contributed the most to those losses. Of course he'd never vocally admit it, just sayin.

Sorry OP. ,I doubt JG plays better. 3rd year in, and he looks as bad as always. The offense is limited with him on the field.

And JP says this is our best option. 6 wins would be a miracle. 3 or 4 wins is more likely.

Reactions: Titan05 and MAD
over/under at 6 wins before the season looked promising, now with the previous 2 weeks results
and an SEC gauntlet awaiting the team, it will be a challenge to get the 6 wins. It's a challenge
to be optimistic and positive - like seeing the 7th Calvary on their way to the Little Big Horn.

6 or 7 wins was the general consensus before the season started, and pretty much anyone who thought we were winning 6 or 7 had Ga. St. and BYU as wins... that puts us at 4 or 5 with no margin for error.

Anything is possible but I don't think BYU is on par with the upper half or 2/3 of the SEC.

Not really inclined to give Pruitt a lot of credit for actually getting his team to show signs of a pulse compared to what they did against GA ST. I'm taking this "improvement" with a grain of salt.

I'd guess a 4 or 5 win season is best case scenario now. They p-ssed away their chances for a bowl game sleep walking through GA ST and choking against BYU.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly

VN Store

Back