Pat

My late wife, she died this past year of cancer, was an administrator at UT...She use to interact with Pat fairly regularly, often regarding paperwork on one or more of her players ....After all, they are students first, athletes second....

One day I went to have lunch with her at UT and she asked me to come with her, she had to have some paper work signed by one of the coaches....She said I would probably get a kick out of it....

She took me into the inner most sanctuary of the legendary Pat Summitt's domain...We rounded a corner and there before me were the national championship trophies....I knew I was not in Kansas anymore....

My wife told me we were about to enter Pat's private office....I was not to say anything, touch anything, and try not to get too excited....(She was having fun with me, because she knew how crazy I was about Pat)...

As we entered my heart was racing like I had just ran a marathon...Pat was sitting to the side of her desk dressed in workout clothes...She was expecting my wife because of the paperwork that needed her signatures, but she had no idea who I was....She gave me a nod, I nodded back....

I tried to stay motionless while they talked about a player...This particular player would go on to become one of the most famous players to ever play for the Lady Vols, but on this day, to me, she was just a name on a few pieces of paper that needed Pat's signature...

When they completed their college work business, Pat asked me if I ever talk, or has your wife trained you to speak only when spoken too??....Of course they had a good laugh, but I just stood there mute in total admiration of the moment...

I managed to say a few words, but I really just wanted to listen to her talk....I was in the presence of Pat Summitt and I did not want to spoil it by saying anything wrong...

The next day my wife brought home a signed Lady Vol basketball that Pat had given to her for me....She had told my wife, when she gave her the ball, maybe this will get him to talk, but not too much....My wife said they had a good laugh...

Since my wife's death, I have gone to the statue of Pat and tenderly remembered that perfect day in 2004...
Cubs-Pat-Summitt.jpg

My late wife, she died this past year of cancer, was an administrator at UT...She use to interact with Pat fairly regularly, often regarding paperwork on one or more of her players ....After all, they are students first, athletes second....

One day I went to have lunch with her at UT and she asked me to come with her, she had to have some paper work signed by one of the coaches....She said I would probably get a kick out of it....

She took me into the inner most sanctuary of the legendary Pat Summitt's domain...We rounded a corner and there before me were the national championship trophies....I knew I was not in Kansas anymore....

My wife told me we were about to enter Pat's private office....I was not to say anything, touch anything, and try not to get too excited....(She was having fun with me, because she knew how crazy I was about Pat)...

As we entered my heart was racing like I had just ran a marathon...Pat was sitting to the side of her desk dressed in workout clothes...She was expecting my wife because of the paperwork that needed her signatures, but she had no idea who I was....She gave me a nod, I nodded back....

I tried to stay motionless while they talked about a player...This particular player would go on to become one of the most famous players to ever play for the Lady Vols, but on this day, to me, she was just a name on a few pieces of paper that needed Pat's signature...

When they completed their college work business, Pat asked me if I ever talk, or has your wife trained you to speak only when spoken too??....Of course they had a good laugh, but I just stood there mute in total admiration of the moment...

I managed to say a few words, but I really just wanted to listen to her talk....I was in the presence of Pat Summitt and I did not want to spoil it by saying anything wrong...

The next day my wife brought home a signed Lady Vol basketball that Pat had given to her for me....She had told my wife, when she gave her the ball, maybe this will get him to talk, but not too much....My wife said they had a good laugh...

Since my wife's death, I have gone to the statue of Pat and tenderly remembered that perfect day in 2004...
Cubs-Pat-Summitt.jpg
I too had a moment with Pat (I have spoken about before), AND like you, I was dumbfounded into reverent silence.

I have been a fan of Pats since the 1991 FF! The intensity, toughness, accountability and especially the passion she demanded of her players, staff and herself just was second to none! It was the way I played and what I demanded from my players! I would follow a lot of the top coaches in the game and those 4 I mentioned up top is what I took from Pat! I miss you Coach!!!

VN Store

Back