"Pat would have loved her toughness"

lvocd

Of the 11 basketball players currently blessed to be Tennessee Lady Vols, which player comes to mind first when you read the phrase, "Pat would have loved her toughness"?

The player that comes to my mind first is Cheridene Green. The way she battles for rebounds would have absolutely thrilled Pat! Watching her these last two seasons has been a highlight for me because Cheridene sparks old memories in the best way, and I am certain that Pat would have been happy with Green's toughness.

Bonus player: Not too far behind Cheridene is -- drumroll, please -- RAE BURRELL. Yes, she's only a freshman and, yes, she makes a few freshman mistakes. But dang, Pat would have loved her toughness and her desire to give 100% effort every time she gets into the game. Rae could well be the steal of her class, and I suspect Pat Summitt may have agreed.

Summitt always admired players she could count on to show the desire to compete, and I feel like this entire current group of Lady Vols is doing a pretty good job of doing that so far.

Of the 11 basketball players currently blessed to be Tennessee Lady Vols, which player comes to mind first when you read the phrase, "Pat would have loved her toughness"?

The player that comes to my mind first is Cheridene Green. The way she battles for rebounds would have absolutely thrilled Pat! Watching her these last two seasons has been a highlight for me because Cheridene sparks old memories in the best way, and I am certain that Pat would have been happy with Green's toughness.

Bonus player: Not too far behind Cheridene is -- drumroll, please -- RAE BURRELL. Yes, she's only a freshman and, yes, she makes a few freshman mistakes. But dang, Pat would have loved her toughness and her desire to give 100% effort every time she gets into the game. Rae could well be the steal of her class, and I suspect Pat Summitt may have agreed.

Summitt always admired players she could count on to show the desire to compete, and I feel like this entire current group of Lady Vols is doing a pretty good job of doing that so far.

Green hit`s the glass like Nicky Anosike and Rae Burrell was a steal for Holly

Yes Green was a beast on the boards, plus 3 assists and 3 steals, pretty good for the big girl in the paint. I agree that Pat would love her and I feel you can see some of that Anosikie toughness we've been missing. All the posts have been strong with the ball this season after collecting the rebound or loose ball. Just have to get them going up strong with the shot and we're set.

Green also set some fantastic screens against Oklahoma State, an under appreciated skill, but she did not get any moving screen calls (an emphasis this year) that I recall which is shocking for how that game was officiated. She gets set and gets big, really helped Evina off the bounce.

Reactions: lvocd
They are all playing tough now. I wish Sydney Spencer was teaching the dive for the ball technique.

I hear you. I also love it when players are willing to dive onto the floor for loose balls, but it also scares me to death! Multiple concussions from being that scrappy and self-sacrificing cost Jasmine Jones and Ariel Massengale their careers.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Yes Green was a beast on the boards, plus 3 assists and 3 steals, pretty good for the big girl in the paint. I agree that Pat would love her and I feel you can see some of that Anosikie toughness we've been missing. All the posts have been strong with the ball this season after collecting the rebound or loose ball. Just have to get them going up strong with the shot and we're set.

Green also set some fantastic screens against Oklahoma State, an under appreciated skill, but she did not get any moving screen calls (an emphasis this year) that I recall which is shocking for how that game was officiated. She gets set and gets big, really helped Evina off the bounce.

Good post. Yep, Green is really impressive so far this season. Imagine if she continues improving. Wow! šŸ¤—

Reactions: VolBall09
Clickbait? I mean really. It looked that way.
I didn't intentionally make it sound like someone had died but, of course it was "clickbait." That's what headlines are meant to do, and the one and only reason for the existence of message boards is for people to read and respond to posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smallvol#1
Good post. Yep, Green is really impressive so far this season. Imagine if she continues improving. Wow! šŸ¤—

And to me Green is the only true post player on the team that can hit the offensive and defensive boards

Reactions: lvocd
Wish we could have London for one more year! Love her work ethic. Rebounding. She quietly does her thing. Much props to you girl for being the steady force in the paint.

I didn't intentionally make it sound like someone had died but, of course it was "clickbait." That's what headlines are meant to do, and the one and only reason for the existence of message boards is for people to read and respond to posts.

Well If you ha
Well If you have a Valid story to tell; EMBELLISHMENT isn't necessary. JMHO. Anyways you second response was over the top; which resulted in me calling you out. So you have a good day Sir and try to keep it less Volatile and so will I.

Well If you ha
Well If you have a Valid story to tell; EMBELLISHMENT isn't necessary. JMHO. Anyways you second response was over the top; which resulted in me calling you out. So you have a good day Sir and try to keep it less Volatile and so will I.

You are hilarious. šŸ˜‚

Well, I understood what you meant. Maybe itā€™s those who knew Pat understand how much ā€œtoughnessā€ was appreciated by her. Lord knows she was one tough lady! London was definitely off last night though, hope it is not long term! And weā€™ve been watching Burrell. Definitely agree with the poster who said she was a ā€œstealā€. So far loving all the freshmen, and Mimi last night! Became a real difference maker.....and we needed some difference after the first half!šŸ˜µ

VN Store

Back