Pat information suggestions for I am Pat Summitt!

volwindy

sunshine hiker
Alright guys, I am taking a psychology of women course this semester, and one of our projects is to do a presentation on a famous woman, and I of course chose Pat :) (one guy gave me crap about picking her too, poor him).

I will be doing my research but, I was curious as to what points you would make for must haves besides the usual winningest coach and winning championships. Does she do anything outside of being a coach? Has anyone read her motivational book Reach for the Summitt? etc.

my daughter, a BB player and Pat Summit fan is writing a response for you. I will copy paste it when she replies. She is off to college doing her thing.

Here are some points my daughter brought up

1. she has a 100% graduation rate of players who have finished their eligibility at Tennessee.
2. In her first years as a coach she held the role of: coach, trainer, bus driver and laundry mat. Not to mention she didn't have scholarships to offer.
3. All of the different coaching awards (ie Naismith Coach of the Century etc)
4. She has won a number of community awards (ie Tennessee Woman of Distinction Award, one of the 25 Most Influential Working Mothers, Americas Best Leaders for 2007 etc)
5. Summitt has 70 former players, assistant coaches, operations directors, graduate assistants or team managers coaching basketball.
6. Fortune 500 companies often bring Summitt in as a motivational speaker to teach her "commandments" the Definite Dozen.

she donated $600,000, well is in the ongoing process of donating $600,000, to UTK and UT-Martin to go towards women's basketball, including a GA scholarship offer.

She has also been a guest speaker at some Jimmy V Cancer Research banquets.

You should find and read material on her youth and how she was raised.The types of things that was instilled in her
"down on the farm".If your were to email her web site concerning this area of her life I think you may be pleasantly surprised!

You should find and read material on her youth and how she was raised.The types of things that was instilled in her
"down on the farm".If your were to email her web site concerning this area of her life I think you may be pleasantly surprised!

I agree, reading about her upbringing will give you great insight into her personality and drive.

Windy, make sure you read her book as part of your research. I think you will find most of what you need in there.

One more question, is there a famous quote by Pat that she lives by or states often?

I was going to suggest this very same thing. She grew up and went to school not far from where I live.

Here are some links that might help.

Pat Summitt/Lady Vols News: 'Trish' a favorite during high school days

Tennessee Lady Vols - Pat Summitt Biography 1970-1979

Player Bio: Pat Summit :: Women's Basketball

Pat Summitt Biography - Newsmakers Cumulation

This may help you :good!:
Pat Summitt quotes

Thanks. A lot of those seem to be about specific plays and players. Wish there was a way to eliminate those to get to the rest, haha.

Thanks KB, suprised you have it in you to be nice to me. :) I will check those out!

Thanks. A lot of those seem to be about specific plays and players. Wish there was a way to eliminate those to get to the rest, haha.

Thanks KB, suprised you have it in you to be nice to me. :) I will check those out!

Don't get used to it!

Mine was just a lame site, but eh...never can tell

Don't get used to it!

Oh I won't!

Mine was just a lame site, but eh...never can tell

Well there is one that I will probably use because this is being presented the week of motivation topic, so I'm trying to keep it on that guideline. So this quote kind of goes with it.

“She taught me that it's OK to let down your guard and allow your players to get to know you. They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.”

Also just saw this:
The 12 Lady Vols Principles
1. Respect yoursef and others
2. Take full responsibility
3. Develop and demonstrate loyalty
4. Learn to be a great communicator
5. Discipline yourself so no one else has to
6. Make hard work your passion
7. Don't just work hard, work smart
8. Put the team before yourself
9. Make winning an attitude
10. Be a competitor
11. Change is a must
12. Handle success like you handle failure

Pretty cool.

Well I had my presentation this morning, thanks to everyone and their help, I used a lot of the information and the links that you guys provided. My professor just loved that quote that I used, she thought it was brilliant! :)

She is the only woman in the world that can kick a raccoons azz and slap Rod Wilkes all at the sametime and get away with it. :p

Nobody has done more for womens basketball than Pat Summit...She's a gem of a human being.

VN Store

Back