Pat Adams loses at A and M despite his best efforts

How do you call a foul after that shot was missed with .06 seconds? The game was over at that point.

I don't think the refs make calls favoring any team. I do believe they make calls based on what Vegas needs.
Not sure I follow that. Bet WAY more money was on KY by their fanbase so holding down TAM would be the play with and without the points.

Reactions: berryvol
Impressed with Dillingham's shooting.

Refs were terrible in the 2nd half and ot. Hope A&M is hindered more by our defense
than ky's

You can question the refs on other games like A&M vs UK but if you do on any Vol game and even if it is warranted you have posters coming on taking up for the officials almost every time. I'm thinking Ref relatives or former refs or its hurting them in some way. They will try to humiliate ppl with things like be a man, part of the game. So, I guess its so hard to get officials and the NCAA will not pony up the money to get some full time officials with higher pay and accountability or we just have to accept mediocre officials from time to time. Some that look like they are on the take like Tim Donaghy in betting scandals of 2007.

You can question the refs on other games like A&M vs UK but if you do on any Vol game and even if it is warranted you have posters coming on taking up for the officials almost every time. I'm thinking Ref relatives or former refs or its hurting them in some way. They will try to humiliate ppl with things like be a man, part of the game. So, I guess its so hard to get officials and the NCAA will not pony up the money to get some full time officials with higher pay and accountability or we just have to accept mediocre officials from time to time. Some that look like they are on the take like Tim Donaghy in betting scandals of 2007.
I feel officiating usually has some head scratching calls most every game. These athletes are really fast and explosive to the point that a physically average human probably can’t process and react quickly enough to make all the correct calls. Then there’s also the integrity issue with the allure of easy gambling dollars that may influence a few. To me, the best I can hope for are the mistakes aren’t slanted towards one team so much to influence the outcome. Complaining about bad calls is fruitless and just prolongs the frustration. I know when I competed and coached, i followed the philosophy of I had to be 10% better to overcome potential officiating mistakes so this is nothing new. JMO

I feel officiating usually has some head scratching calls most every game. These athletes are really fast and explosive to the point that a physically average human probably can’t process and react quickly enough to make all the correct calls. Then there’s also the integrity issue with the allure of easy gambling dollars that may influence a few. To me, the best I can hope for are the mistakes aren’t slanted towards one team so much to influence the outcome. Complaining about bad calls is fruitless and just prolongs the frustration. I know when I competed and coached, i followed the philosophy of I had to be 10% better to overcome potential officiating mistakes so this is nothing new. JMO
JMO as well but bending over and taking it (for lack of better words) is also fruitless. I agree athletes being so fast/explosive can make it hard on refs eyes, but leverage technology to make it easier on them. For example, why are we relying on some old guys eyes for spotting a football? It was pretty easy to spot several missed calls in yesterday’s game from the TV. Maybe leverage video assistant reviewing to help the officials on the court. So much money is funneled through sports yet we pay refs nothing comparatively. Makes it pretty easy for a ref to rationalize shaving points, etc. There are several ideas to improve officiating across sports yet we simply choose not to entertain any of them it seems. Unfortunately for us, I think the reason they aren’t entertained is the powers at be view sports as entertainment. Not sure they care about fair results.

Last edited:
Reactions: mercuryvol
I agree with you both. My coach in hs always said that10% was for bad refs. Also agree that college sports needs professional, highly trained, full time referees. Very high pay and very high accountability needed. We’re paying for pro athletes now in the three major men’s sports so demand that the refs are paid accordingly.

Cameras feeding AI will eventually replace these refs. A few years away, but the technology already exists to call pretty much everything in baseball and tennis already. They will just need to work on what constitutes fouls in the contact sports.

Reactions: Jrobin
Cameras feeding AI will eventually replace these refs. A few years away, but the technology already exists to call pretty much everything in baseball and tennis already. They will just need to work on what constitutes fouls in the contact sports.

They robots will need to figure out how to let touch fouls and meaningless fouls go or else games will turn into 4 hour free throw shooting contests. By the walk ons since everybody else will be fouled out.

VN Store

Back