Passed down from generation to generation

USMCVOLFan24

In February of this year my family laid my father to rest at the age of 62. My father was one of those parents that was decent father, being that he atleast paid the bills so we had a home, but not a very good dad, doing things with his kids. My father spent majority of his money and time on booze and not on his family. While growing up I really bumped heads with him because of this. The turning point of our relationship came after my time in the Marines was over and he became a grandfather. Over the last 10 years we had became closer than I could have ever imagined. The one constant was our love for the Vols.Some of earliest memories with him was listening to John Ward over the airwaves and hearing my dad cheer or cuss depending on the outcome of the play. My dad had spent his entire life growing up and living in East Tennessee, but had never seen Neyland Stadium in person. This all changed when my wife and I were able to take him to a game during the Butch years. I know many of you have taken kids to Vol walks and shed a tear while watching them interact with the players, but that day I shed tears watching my father cry as he was overjoyed with what was happening. I know somewhere in Heaven he and my brother, who passed a year earlier and a huge fan, are flabbergasted at what is going on this year. I will always be a Vols fan and I'll always watch the games, but this year I haven't been emotionally or physically in it at all. Thanks for letting vent Nation.

Last edited:
In February of this year my family laid my father to rest at the age of 62. My father was one of those parents that was decent father, being that he atleast paid the bills so we had a home, but a very good dad, doing things with his kids. My father spent majority of his money and time on booze and not on his family. While growing up I really bumped heads with him because of this. The turning point of our relationship came after my time in the Marines was over and he became a grandfather. Over the last 10 years we had became closer than I could have ever imagined. The one constant was our love for the Vols.Some of earliest memories with him was listening to John Ward over the airwaves and hearing my dad cheer or cuss depending on the outcome of the play. My dad had spent his entire life growing up and living in East Tennessee, but had never seen Neyland Stadium in person. This all changed when my wife and I were able to take him to a game during the Butch years. I know many of you have taken kids to Vol walks and shed a tear while watching them interact with the players, but that day I shed tears watching my father cry as he was overjoyed with what was happening. I know somewhere in Heaven he and my brother, who passed a year are and a huge fan, are flabbergasted at what is going on this year. I will always be a Vols fan and I'll always watch the games, but this year I haven't been emotionally or physically in it at all. Thanks for letting vent Nation.
Thank you. God Bless you and your family.

Keep on venting brother.

God bless you fellow Vol fan. Time does NOT heal all wounds, but it does make it easier. Not sure about your faith, but I can say for me God makes things like this easier to handle and gives me hope.

My father died when he was 60. It’s been a while, but I still miss him greatly.

Keep on venting brother.

God bless you fellow Vol fan. Time does NOT heal all wounds, but it does make it easier. Not sure about your faith, but I can say for me God makes things like this easier to handle and gives me hope.

My father died when he was 60. It’s been a while, but I still miss him greatly.

In February of this year my family laid my father to rest at the age of 62. My father was one of those parents that was decent father, being that he atleast paid the bills so we had a home, but a very good dad, doing things with his kids. My father spent majority of his money and time on booze and not on his family. While growing up I really bumped heads with him because of this. The turning point of our relationship came after my time in the Marines was over and he became a grandfather. Over the last 10 years we had became closer than I could have ever imagined. The one constant was our love for the Vols.Some of earliest memories with him was listening to John Ward over the airwaves and hearing my dad cheer or cuss depending on the outcome of the play. My dad had spent his entire life growing up and living in East Tennessee, but had never seen Neyland Stadium in person. This all changed when my wife and I were able to take him to a game during the Butch years. I know many of you have taken kids to Vol walks and shed a tear while watching them interact with the players, but that day I shed tears watching my father cry as he was overjoyed with what was happening. I know somewhere in Heaven he and my brother, who passed a year earlier and a huge fan, are flabbergasted at what is going on this year. I will always be a Vols fan and I'll always watch the games, but this year I haven't been emotionally or physically in it at all. Thanks for letting vent Nation.

What a great story. Thanks for sharing.

VN Store

Back