Parrish article on Martin's exit

They don't make the tournament without it. It drove them. The coaches and players have both talked about it rallying them. Without that, do they rally? Around what?

Teams and players rally around whatever they can and they did a good job of feeding off of it. I''ll take sweet 16 runs by players angry at fans over losing, lackadaisical play and attitude every time.

Sparty said it best. We were a boring team to watch. I forget what writer said this mid-season, I think it was Seth Davis, but he said that if UT was going to lose then they better be entertaining while losing for Martin's sake. We were neither. We were losing a lot and we were boring as hell. By year 3, I DVR'd a lot of games and flew through them because it was like pouring acid in my eyes to watch a Martin coached team.

Not until we made our run was this team fun to watch. I actually enjoyed watching this team in the NCAA tourney. It was like night and day. Why in the hell didn't this happen for the last 3 years? Why did a stupid petition finally fire them up? Why did Martin say that the petition woke up a sleeping bear? Why in the hell was the bear asleep in the first place for the entire season with that kind of talent? That statement alone said it all about his coaching style IMO.

Say what you want but the stuff in the article is true. People even called his wife's job and said racist things. I know this for a fact.

Unfortunately racism will always be present in society; some people will arbitrarily hate people who are different than them. I'll admit that I'm a white male in semi-rural Tennessee so I don't know what it's like to deal with racism but I do have to deal with some ignorant close-minded people whose value as human beings is on par with a pile of s**t on the sidewalk between you and your destination. A racist is that pile of s**t. What reaction does a pile of s**t warrant from a sentient being? Should you acknowledge and dignify its existence by wasting your energy getting bent out of shape about what a stinking pile of s**t it is? Do you stop and scold it, thus making you late getting where you're going? No, you ignore it. If it's actually coming from someone in power then take appropriate action by doing whatever you can in an efficient manner but don't let ignorance bring you down.

Anyway, CCM is a great human being but a mediocre basketball coach and perhaps a little too thin skinned. Also, his style and demeanor just didn't fit what this program needs so it's definitely best for all parties that he's at Cal now.

Unfortunately racism will always be present in society; some people will arbitrarily hate people who are different than them. I'll admit that I'm a white male in semi-rural Tennessee so I don't know what it's like to deal with racism but I do have to deal with some ignorant close-minded people whose value as human beings is on par with a pile of s**t on the sidewalk between you and your destination. A racist is that pile of s**t. What reaction does a pile of s**t warrant from a sentient being? Should you acknowledge and dignify its existence by wasting your energy getting bent out of shape about what a stinking pile of s**t it is? Do you stop and scold it, thus making you late getting where you're going? No, you ignore it. If it's actually coming from someone in power then take appropriate action by doing whatever you can in an efficient manner but don't let ignorance bring you down.

Anyway, CCM is a great human being but a mediocre basketball coach and perhaps a little too thin skinned. Also, his style and demeanor just didn't fit what this program needs so it's definitely best for all parties that he's at Cal now.

VERY well stated! :salute:

Most people are focusing on the racism allegation (and it's understandable considering how inflammatory that is). But to me, the most important paragraph is this:

"...in his three seasons at UT, Martin won more SEC games than anybody not named John Calipari or Billy Donovan, and that he was the only SEC coach besides Calipari and Donovan to make a Sweet 16. And you probably don't realize that Martin did all that despite UT's men's basketball budget dropping by roughly $1.6 million annually…"

Say what you want, but based on the facts it's hard to argue that Martin was fired for performance issues. I don't think it was racism, but he just had a perception problem here, and once the wormed turned, he could never win back the major boosters or many of the vocal fans.

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't he say he knew he was in the wrong place not too long after he was hired? It's in everyone's best interest that he's coaching somewhere else.

Reactions: 1 person
Most people are focusing on the racism allegation (and it's understandable considering how inflammatory that is). But to me, the most important paragraph is this:

"...in his three seasons at UT, Martin won more SEC games than anybody not named John Calipari or Billy Donovan, and that he was the only SEC coach besides Calipari and Donovan to make a Sweet 16. And you probably don't realize that Martin did all that despite UT's men's basketball budget dropping by roughly $1.6 million annually…"

Say what you want, but based on the facts it's hard to argue that Martin was fired for performance issues. I don't think it was racism, but he just had a perception problem here, and once the wormed turned, he could never win back the major boosters or many of the vocal fans.

Horse hockey.

Fact is Martin DID NOT GET FIRED.

Compare the record to Jerry Green. Wins. Tourney appearances. Sweet 16. And then try to make the race argument. Oh, and then consider the fact that MARTIN WASNT FIRED!!!!!!!!
Sad that a so called professional jouranlist can't compare within the history of the exact same institution.

If racial discrimination were actually a factor you would already have Jesse and the NAACP all up in this thing and lawsuits flying.

I'm serious when I say that the NCAA is partly responsible for this. We were deserving of a tourney bid in every year CCM was here IMO. There is a lot less antagonism going around if we had made it in all 3 years.

I'm serious when I say that the NCAA is partly responsible for this. We were deserving of a tourney bid in every year CCM was here IMO. There is a lot less antagonism going around if we had made it in all 3 years.

NCAA is responsible? LOL we werent deserving of a bid the first two yrs but thats beside the point. Blaming the NCAA is hilarious.

If they didn't lose to A&M twice they wouldn't of had to play in the play in game. If the teams started to play better in December than in February. Why were there so many ifs with this coach. Martin was way over his head and didn't want to be apart of the culture in Knoxville.

VN Store

Back