Paint me a picture

Have you used the numerous sites designed to help people find their perfect place?
Find my perfect place to live in the world - Google Search

The 6 Best Sites That Help You Find the Best Places to Live

Our perfect place is mountains (for me) in summer and beach (for wife) in winter a few hours from New Orleans. We have 3 kids and where they settle will influence our perfect place(s) a lot. I expect there will be a fifth wheel camper in our future and we will split time between our kids and grandchildren (hopefully).

Oh gosh that sounds perfect❤.

I'll definitely have to check those sites out!
Thank you for that.

I found the swamp suprsingly peaceful. I lived in Houston and would drive through Louisiana on my way back east. LOVED the swamp. Even considered build a eco-resort near the Agusan Marsh. That's in the Philippines and where the world's largest crocodile was captured. But i let that go, because I'm honesty gettinf tired of that country.

Btw have a happy Father's day!

Reactions: McDad
Well, of course, many of us LIKE Asheville’s Asheville-ness! 🤓 But Johnson City to Boone is a beautiful stretch of land, both peaceful and with lots to do.

Tennessee has pretty much done away with state income taxation, including investment income. NC has a pretty annoying 5.5% (I think) state income tax, based off of your federal tax, that has few deductions. But then sales taxes are generally lower than those in Tennessee. (You have to run a government somehow.)

One general observation: find a place that is near a decent-sized college/ university. This makes a TON of difference in the presence of restaurants, entertainment, and general diversity of people and ideas, something I find very important. In other words, more music venues than Dollar Stores.

^This has been important to me as a single man and even now as married man with a kid. Everywhere ive lived its been very close to the university culture. Even took an occasional class from time to time. I have college credits from 5 different states haha. Because of what you already mentioned.

I've been to Roan Mountain before. Very nice people. I think that's in between boone and JC

Reactions: VolNExile
Hey Jacker!

There's like 12 pockets of "that culture " all through LA area 🤣. And honestly I get along with them quite well...

I'm just tired of the cluster. I work from home and travel some, but my personal life and family life still has to contend with masses of people all the time. It's annoying. I don't care how beautiful they are haha.

I'm from Carolina and from what I've heard is that it's getting saturated as well. Not like Cali obviously.

I'm looking at Texas too. Lived in the Houston area for a bit, but maybe move towards Austin but not IN Austin?

Also looking at East of Chattanooga.
I have a son who lives in Houston and I go there a couple times a year - no way I’d live there. Add them to your weather app and notice the temps, especially when it doesn’t get below 80 at night

Hey Jacker!

There's like 12 pockets of "that culture " all through LA area 🤣. And honestly I get along with them quite well...

I'm just tired of the cluster. I work from home and travel some, but my personal life and family life still has to contend with masses of people all the time. It's annoying. I don't care how beautiful they are haha.

I'm from Carolina and from what I've heard is that it's getting saturated as well. Not like Cali obviously.

I'm looking at Texas too. Lived in the Houston area for a bit, but maybe move towards Austin but not IN Austin?

Also looking at East of Chattanooga.
I live east of Chattanooga in Ooltewah and it’s exploding with growth, same with Cleveland TN which is the next place East. IMHO, Both are still way too humid and hot and getting hotter it appears. Prices have jumped a lot too, but are probably a steal compared to California.

Over the years I've learned that there are some bright minds on here, and even MORE dreamers! I guess all Vol fans are that as a byproduct.

So I'd like some ideas or inspiration from anyone willing to give it. I'm 39 years old and set to retire in probably 10 more years. At 49.

However, I still haven't found that place here in America where I get a sense of nature, serenity, and peace. I won't do this California city living forever. I want a nice home near a creek on 5 acres of land that I can build a huge garden. Not a farm (maybe a tiny one)...but a garden. Trees of all kinds and beautiful bushes and natural rock features. Like a meadow...inside of canyon? Some place my family will always have in order to never get of touch with nature.

So I have two things to ask of anyone here:

1) WHERE can I have this dream come true?

2) What is your ideal retirement scenario and place?

Thanks everyone.

My paradise where dreams are currently coming true. Retiring in this exact same place....Good ole Knoxville, TN. I paint pictures with actual umm....pictures.

1655484726086.png

1655484783492.png

1655484817948.png
1625583219931-png.378659

1625583298413-png.378660

1628005585300-png.384545

1628005644237-png.384546

I live east of Chattanooga in Ooltewah and it’s exploding with growth, same with Cleveland TN which is the next place East. IMHO, Both are still way too humid and hot and getting hotter it appears. Prices have jumped a lot too, but are probably a steal compared to California.

Yeah Houston stays above 100 degrees all of August 😰.

I heard AthensTN was nice too.
Is there a lot.of plots there for sale?
What's the demographics like? I was looking at South Pittsburgh too.

Yeah Cali is ridiculous. I sold 1 of my first properties last year. Bought 2 of them at around 250k for 2b 2bth in 2017. The one i sold in 2021 went for 350k...
I kept the other one because the rent i charge is about 3k, but the mortgate and HOA I pay are only 1700. And I'll probably sell it in 2 years? For 500k easily. For 900 sqft.

Yeah, i know Tennessee is going up especially in midstate, but I can get so much more in places like TN, Kansas, South Carolina,...even Michigan.

I could live all those places. As long as I havr my slice of serenity and peace on Earth.

Reactions: VolNExile
Grew up on the Kentucky side of Cumberland Gap, in Bell county Kentucky. All of our local channels were out of Knoxville, and I started hating Kentucky around 8 years old🤣. I got in the habit of watching Tennessee, news about Tennessee, and fell in love.

I went to trade school for lumber grading in Waynesville, Haywood community college. Got offered a job in Cleveland Georgia for a company called Atlanta hardwood for grading lumber. Prayed about it, and it's just where I was meant to be.
I remember you posting once that your dad worked in a mine. I lived in Middlesboro a couple of years in the mid-70’s and worked in the coal industry.

I am a good old East Tennessee loving guy. However after spending 11 days in Utah back in April.I could definitely see myself living there. It is absolutely incredible and the whole state is basically a National Park. Completely different kind of beauty than we are use to seeing here but nonetheless it is a beautiful state.It seems like around every corner is a jaw dropping photo opp.

Attachments

• FA88022A-04A1-44B6-874F-8067C0EE3DA4.jpeg
    FA88022A-04A1-44B6-874F-8067C0EE3DA4.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • EAE69012-17B1-41E4-90A6-840344C7E044.jpeg
    EAE69012-17B1-41E4-90A6-840344C7E044.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • CDCA2BA5-5C4B-4B60-9DEF-0522E90843B1.jpeg
    CDCA2BA5-5C4B-4B60-9DEF-0522E90843B1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • A4DEAA38-2859-4E2D-A4B3-9DB36908F762.jpeg
    A4DEAA38-2859-4E2D-A4B3-9DB36908F762.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • E335D5EE-92ED-451B-8D85-33ABCFA08DC5.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 4
I remember you posting once that your dad worked in a mine. I lived in Middlesboro a couple of years in the mid-70’s and worked in the coal industry.
It's a rough living to work in a mine. I grew up outside of Pineville, probably 15 miles from middlesboro.

Back in Carolina, my papaw did that on a hillside with black berry bushes and apple trees.
He had so much satisfaction with those plants. I bet you feel that same.

What kind of fruit did you plant?
Everything from various apples, pears, peaches, plums, persimmons. Figs, nectarines etc.

Reactions: McDad and LittleVol
I am a good old East Tennessee loving guy. However after spending 11 days in Utah back in April.I could definitely see myself living there. It is absolutely incredible and the whole state is basically a National Park. Completely different kind of beauty than we are use to seeing here but nonetheless it is a beautiful state.It seems like around every corner is a jaw dropping photo opp.
I hear ya man! by the way...that last picture you have to click on is EXACTLY what I mean by living in kind of a canyon.

Many people are moving there to UTAH because of it's beauty. I've flown into Salt Lake City and it was breathtaking. I've heard the city itself is kind of dirty tho.
Ogden, Utah is another town I'm going to visit soon.

It is just a different kind of beauty. If I could have my 5 acre garden there, then I might die a happy man haha.

Reactions: McDad and tn4elvis
Everything from various apples, pears, peaches, plums, persimmons. Figs, nectarines etc.
Hell yeah man...
Proud of you! Even tho I don't I know you.

You make me want to move back there a little bit haha.

I feel like there was a healthier energy in my life when I was around nature more, as a kid.
My wife is a city girl. BIG city. Manilla, Philippines. Her father was from Rio Brazil. Her heritage is from countries filled with jungles and exotic nature, that she never even got to see.

So we both need that permanent connection to nature.

Over the years I've learned that there are some bright minds on here, and even MORE dreamers! I guess all Vol fans are that as a byproduct.

So I'd like some ideas or inspiration from anyone willing to give it. I'm 39 years old and set to retire in probably 10 more years. At 49.

However, I still haven't found that place here in America where I get a sense of nature, serenity, and peace. I won't do this California city living forever. I want a nice home near a creek on 5 acres of land that I can build a huge garden. Not a farm (maybe a tiny one)...but a garden. Trees of all kinds and beautiful bushes and natural rock features. Like a meadow...inside of canyon? Some place my family will always have in order to never get of touch with nature.

So I have two things to ask of anyone here:

1) WHERE can I have this dream come true?

2) What is your ideal retirement scenario and place?

Thanks everyone.

Go on Zillow and Search Diana Ridge Rd Pulaski, TN. 38478.

There are 2 different places on there that would be gems for someone wanting to get away from overpopulation. Small town, small college -UT South (just joined as a UT school this year), easily accessible to i65 to go to Nashville or Huntsville AL.

Both have a little more land than you was talking about, but have room to build other homes on if you do wish. One of the properties belong to a friend of mine and I thought of it when I read your post.

I had the same thought after I took a road trip through Colorado/Wyoming//Montana last year. I am a born and raised East Tennesseean, have lived here my entire life, love the area, and have no plans to leave. However, there is something about that Mountain West area that is just magical. It is so wide open spaces that it makes East Tennessee, or other rural areas in the Southeast, feel cramped by comparison. As you said, it is a totally different type of natural beauty that I was not accustomed to.

I don't think I would want to live there full-time, but I could totally see myself enjoying having a place out there somewhere and spending a lot of time there throughout the year, especially in the summers. The problem right now is that everybody and their brother also wants that, and it is getting really expensive and changing the character of some of these towns/neighborhoods.

Reactions: McDad and tn4elvis
I had the same thought after I took a road trip through Colorado/Wyoming//Montana last year. I am a born and raised East Tennesseean, have lived here my entire life, love the area, and have no plans to leave. However, there is something about that Mountain West area that is just magical. It is so wide open spaces that it makes East Tennessee, or other rural areas in the Southeast, feel cramped by comparison. As you said, it is a totally different type of natural beauty that I was not accustomed to.

I don't think I would want to live there full-time, but I could totally see myself enjoying having a place out there somewhere and spending a lot of time there throughout the year, especially in the summers. The problem right now is that everybody and their brother also wants that, and it is getting really expensive and changing the character of some of these towns/neighborhoods.
The problem with those places is they’re drying up and burning. JMO

It’s not limited to the Southwest unfortunately.
You're right - almost everywhere west of the Mississippi is in a drought though. The Southwest just has it way worse though. Lake Mead is at its lowest level since the lake existed. I was just there last week. That's a really serious thing, and honestly I'm surprised it isn't a bigger news story.

Reactions: walkenvol

There was an older fella who worked at our local ChicFilA during the late autumn through early spring. He and his wife lived in a fifth wheel year round. Half the year in southern Tennessee, the other have on a campground in a national park high up in the Colorado Rockies.

I think I would love summers there.

I live in Gray TN. I grew up in Johnson City and have lived in Knoxville and Greenville SC. All of these places are beautiful and I think you couldn't go wrong retiring in any of them. I'll also throw North Ga into the mix, specifically Clayton. I've spent some time there and I love it. If I had to live somewhere other than east tenn I think that would be it. Good luck!

VN Store

Back