Paint me a picture

LittleVol

Of course I can help you, Coach Heupel.
Over the years I've learned that there are some bright minds on here, and even MORE dreamers! I guess all Vol fans are that as a byproduct.

So I'd like some ideas or inspiration from anyone willing to give it. I'm 39 years old and set to retire in probably 10 more years. At 49.

However, I still haven't found that place here in America where I get a sense of nature, serenity, and peace. I won't do this California city living forever. I want a nice home near a creek on 5 acres of land that I can build a huge garden. Not a farm (maybe a tiny one)...but a garden. Trees of all kinds and beautiful bushes and natural rock features. Like a meadow...inside of canyon? Some place my family will always have in order to never get of touch with nature.

So I have two things to ask of anyone here:

1) WHERE can I have this dream come true?

2) What is your ideal retirement scenario and place?

Thanks everyone.

Great, another California transplant.

Just kidding, LittleVol!
I'm from Carolina, originally.

I've lived in Tennessee before.

...actually yeah ive been in Cali for a while now. Guess I would be another transplant

Yeah I’m in Georgia and the transplants are getting thick around here these days. I’d say you’re coming back home, not a transplant.

And big congrats on being able to retire at 49. You are the envy of many people, me included.

Reactions: LittleVol
I'd suggest you narrow down your climate tolerance. If you don't mind a cold winter, then Montana or Wyoming would be my personal choice.

North Carolina mountains or maybe southern WV not quite as cold in winter...not sure about finding that canyon.

East TN ain't too bad though :) Pretty country and affordable up around Hampton, Butler, etc. not in a canyon though.

Last edited:
1. Colorado, Wy
2.Asheville, NC area
More specifically, out toward Haywood County (e.g. Waynesville) and up toward Madison County (Hot Springs, Mars Hill.) Even Watauga County (Boone, App State.)

I had sort of wanted to get more rural with that perfect 5 acres, but we felt that at our ages (now 67 and 72), it would be wiser to stay close to the regional hospital. At your age, you can stretch!

More specifically, out toward Haywood County (e.g. Waynesville) and up toward Madison County (Hot Springs, Mars Hill.) Even Watauga County (Boone, App State.)

I had sort of wanted to get more rural with that perfect 5 acres, but we felt that at our ages (now 67 and 72), it would be wiser to stay close to the regional hospital. At your age, you can stretch!
I went to school in Waynesville, so property value is probably high because I'm famous 🤣

I went to school in Waynesville, so property value is probably high because I'm famous 🤣
Oh Lort!

—what were you doing in WNC for high school? And I still haven’t figured out how you wound up in Jawja, and how you became a Vols fan.

Oh Lort!

—what were you doing in WNC for high school? And I still haven’t figured out how you wound up in Jawja, and how you became a Vols fan.
Grew up on the Kentucky side of Cumberland Gap, in Bell county Kentucky. All of our local channels were out of Knoxville, and I started hating Kentucky around 8 years old🤣. I got in the habit of watching Tennessee, news about Tennessee, and fell in love.

I went to trade school for lumber grading in Waynesville, Haywood community college. Got offered a job in Cleveland Georgia for a company called Atlanta hardwood for grading lumber. Prayed about it, and it's just where I was meant to be.

Grew up on the Kentucky side of Cumberland Gap, in Bell county Kentucky. All of our local channels were out of Knoxville, and I started hating Kentucky around 8 years old🤣. I got in the habit of watching Tennessee, news about Tennessee, and fell in love.

I went to trade school for lumber grading in Waynesville, Haywood community college. Got offered a job in Cleveland Georgia for a company called Atlanta hardwood for grading lumber. Prayed about it, and it's just where I was meant to be.
Oh right, I see now: my eye picked up “high” from the second line and brain combined it with “school.”

Community colleges are great. Lots of programs that actually lead to good jobs!

Reactions: joevol33
Oh right, I see now: my eye picked up “high” from the second line and brain combined it with “school.”

Community colleges are great. Lots of programs that actually lead to good jobs!
It was actually a good job, enjoyed doing it. Benefits weren't great though, and ended up switching to textile up until I just swapped to the Johnson and Johnson job. Ironically, their benefits is what got me.

Reactions: VolNExile
I'd suggest you narrow down your climate tolerance. If you don't mind a cold winter, then Montana or Wyoming would be my personal choice.

North Carolina mountains or maybe southern WV not quite as cold in winter...not sure about finding that canyon.

East TN ain't too bad though :) Pretty country and affordable up around Hampton, Butler, etc. not in a canyon though.
Big South Fork NP was a rare gem I stumbled across years ago. Ruby Falls, and The Lost Sea.
I've been lucky enough to see places all over the world and I can comfortably say the pure beauty of East Tennessee is tough to beat. But the humidity tho haha.

I have been looking at Wyoming and even Arizona. Oregon and North Georgia.
I'm still considering the overseas retirement, but...the rest of the world sucks compared to America. jmo...

That's actually a really good point you make.
I have largely separated from my extended family over time. The wife is the same with that. But we're still close to a few of them and other friends. So we want to have room to build home(s). I don't need a big house.
But nice a 1600 sqft place with a den is good for me. patio maybe. And we want those few close to us to move there with us and build our familys together. We talk about it a lot. maybe 3 homes. and others can move close
So we wouldn't be truly alone.

Yeah, I totally understand where you come from with that, wanting to live rural.
When I was in high school the world population was 6 billion. It's now 8 billion 20 years later...
AND ITS NOTICEABLE. On the road...in the grocery stores...homeless on the street.. there's just more people taking up space...and it's draining in some weird way

Reactions: McDad and VolNExile

Littlevol, you need a flat in River Arts District in Asheville. #engage retirement

In all honesty if you dont mind a small town feel WNC is place to be. Er, Johnson City is sort of a happy medium, - without the Asheville of Asheville. Keeps it at arms length.

Littlevol, you need a flat in River Arts District in Asheville. #engage retirement

In all honesty if you dont mind a small town feel WNC is place to be. Er, Johnson City is sort of a happy medium, - without the Asheville of Asheville. Keeps it at arms length.
Well, of course, many of us LIKE Asheville’s Asheville-ness! 🤓 But Johnson City to Boone is a beautiful stretch of land, both peaceful and with lots to do.

Tennessee has pretty much done away with state income taxation, including investment income. NC has a pretty annoying 5.5% (I think) state income tax, based off of your federal tax, that has few deductions. But then sales taxes are generally lower than those in Tennessee. (You have to run a government somehow.)

One general observation: find a place that is near a decent-sized college/ university. This makes a TON of difference in the presence of restaurants, entertainment, and general diversity of people and ideas, something I find very important. In other words, more music venues than Dollar Stores.

Bunch of beautiful mountain lakes / streams in northeast GA, East Tn, western South & North Carolina. Get above 2,500’ above sea level and the southern humidity/temp drops off and there’s plenty of undeveloped property but very little in the way of jobs so I guess the younger folks move to find work. Wife and are are thinking about it ourselves. Not liking the crazy development around us which is exploding. Just not sure how far we want to get away from grocery stores, restaurants, and health care?

Over the years I've learned that there are some bright minds on here, and even MORE dreamers! I guess all Vol fans are that as a byproduct.

So I'd like some ideas or inspiration from anyone willing to give it. I'm 39 years old and set to retire in probably 10 more years. At 49.

However, I still haven't found that place here in America where I get a sense of nature, serenity, and peace. I won't do this California city living forever. I want a nice home near a creek on 5 acres of land that I can build a huge garden. Not a farm (maybe a tiny one)...but a garden. Trees of all kinds and beautiful bushes and natural rock features. Like a meadow...inside of canyon? Some place my family will always have in order to never get of touch with nature.

Thanks everyone.
Have you used the numerous sites designed to help people find their perfect place?
Find my perfect place to live in the world - Google Search

The 6 Best Sites That Help You Find the Best Places to Live

Our perfect place is mountains (for me) in summer and beach (for wife) in winter a few hours from New Orleans. We have 3 kids and where they settle will influence our perfect place(s) a lot. I expect there will be a fifth wheel camper in our future and we will split time between our kids and grandchildren (hopefully).

Last edited:
… Wife and are are thinking about it ourselves. Not liking the crazy development around us which is exploding. Just not sure how far we want to get away from grocery stores, restaurants, and health care?
And it’s not the mileage alone; it’s what the roads are like, especially if you’re having chest pains at 2 a.m. some rainy night. My last concert was in Highlands NC. Only 71 miles, but nearly an hour 45 this past Sunday afternoon:
1655472053077.jpeg

And the final leg, whew:
1655472620657.jpeg

And it’s not the mileage alone; it’s what the roads are like, especially if you’re having chest pains at 2 a.m. some rainy night. My last concert was in Highlands NC. Only 71 miles, but nearly an hour 45 this past Sunday afternoon:
View attachment 464795

And the final leg, whew:
View attachment 464798
I love the weather in Highlands and usually go there every summer. Your point access to medical care, especially emergency care should be considered by every aging person. Something else to consider is internet access. I’m sure it’s a given in California, not so much in rural areas. We’ve got a family piece of property near Townsend that was divided between 4 families and each now have a house. There’s a shared d/w providing access. Cell service is sketchy. The property fronting Hwy 321 got Comcast service immediately yet 2 years later and about 15 phone calls the other 3 plots are still without even though there was a conduit buried for CATV when the power was placed.
PS. Propane is way more expensive than natural gas and not all locations have delivery. Hauling 100 lb propane tanks to be refilled is a major inconvenience

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNExile and McDad

Thanks everyone.
What’s your thoughts on California real estate values if the current trend continues and Lake Meade dries up in a couple years? Seems like staying there 10 more years is a bit risky.

Bunch of beautiful mountain lakes / streams in northeast GA, East Tn, western South & North Carolina. Get above 2,500’ above sea level and the southern humidity/temp drops off and there’s plenty of undeveloped property but very little in the way of jobs so I guess the younger folks move to find work. Wife and are are thinking about it ourselves. Not liking the crazy development around us which is exploding. Just not sure how far we want to get away from grocery stores, restaurants, and health care?
Asheville is 2100-2200. Difference there and Ooltewah is night/day.
It has groceries, restaurants(not just chains) and health care.
Might be sticker shock for a home though.

Asheville is 2100-2200. Difference there and Ooltewah is night/day.
It has groceries, restaurants(not just chains) and health care.
Might be sticker shock for a home though.
DEFINITELY sticker shock! 😲 For Asheville near-area, I’d look at Black Mountain, Swannanoa, Candler, Weaverville, etc. And they’re jumping, too.

Hey Jacker!

There's like 12 pockets of "that culture " all through LA area 🤣. And honestly I get along with them quite well...

I'm just tired of the cluster. I work from home and travel some, but my personal life and family life still has to contend with masses of people all the time. It's annoying. I don't care how beautiful they are haha.

I'm from Carolina and from what I've heard is that it's getting saturated as well. Not like Cali obviously.

I'm looking at Texas too. Lived in the Houston area for a bit, but maybe move towards Austin but not IN Austin?

Also looking at East of Chattanooga.

What’s your thoughts on California real estate values if the current trend continues and Lake Meade dries up in a couple years? Seems like staying there 10 more years is a bit risky.

Good questions.

So there are many more desalinization projects coming on hand and it's getting cheaper to make freshwater. Actually having water won't be that big of a problem for California. Also there is talk of flooding the central Valley and creating a system there for aquaponics, photovoltaic, and permanent large reservoir.

As far as real estate goes...there is no "bubble".
It's an elevator hahahaha. Blame the Chinese investors. 😔.
Those dudes have endless pockets it seems. And they just want EVERYTHING. It's annoying....
So prices will just keep going up.

VN Store

Back